Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

When you are ready to read, please go ahead and quote me about how I said that Ben Brown is a "massive problem".

Again though, isn't our biggest problem because if we can't move the ball with any meaning we can't win games of football.
B135 - we have problems all over the park and in the coaches box. Yes ball movement is one of many.

I think you said ...BBB is 'far from our biggest problem'.

I am happy for you to have the final say here but if anyone is still supporting BBB after tonite then there is not much I can help them with in terms of football analysis.

I repeat - he had 3 balls fall into his arms inside 50 - and missed each shot - badly.

The bloke must be dropped or we just aren't serious anymore about culture and winning.

41-17 inside 50 count at 3 quarter time. Isn't close to being our biggest problem.

Very true. Aside from terrible ball movement and dewy conditions (how did lynch and jack go tonight?), he’s also down on confidence.

That said, we should at least entertain the prospect of a trade given his age and our list profile.

B135 - we have problems all over the park and in the coaches box. Yes ball movement is one of many.

I think you said ...BBB is 'far from our biggest problem'.

I am happy for you to have the final say here but if anyone is still supporting BBB after tonite then there is not much I can help them with in terms of football analysis.

I repeat - he had 3 balls fall into his arms inside 50 - and missed each shot - badly.

The bloke must be dropped or we just aren't serious anymore about culture and winning.

So do you think dropping Ben Brown fixes the problem?

We are a dysfunctional side with over half a side who are not up to it on current form.

yep Walker and Larkey to play until Brown puts some weight on. Daw to play the swing man role..
Mate, Ben is 27. You can't turn him into something he's not. He is just shitfully out of form and our ball movement doesn't suit him. His form doesn't warrant a spot in the team but there's no VFL to send him back to and the cupboard is totally bare until Larkey and Daw are fit.

Mate, Ben is 27. You can't turn him into something he's not. He is just shitfully out of form and our ball movement doesn't suit him. His form doesn't warrant a spot in the team but there's no VFL to send him back to and the cupboard is totally bare until Larkey and Daw are fit.
As I said previous to the last post Daw and Walker look like a likely combo.. Daw has had a few games under his belt.
Brown needs a spell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the guy physically looks sick and unfit. He looks pale and skinny. I understand being coeliac probably doesn't help but this needs to be looked at. He doesn't look right at all.

He doesn't look sick so much as he looks ****ing miserable and anxious. He's still clocking up the miles into his legs each game. He's still jumping as high as always. He's still strong enough to push a bloke off him, when the ball is 100 meters away, so that he can buy himself 5 seconds without being scragged.

He's been found out.
If you get stupid physical with constant legal slaps and pushes then you get in his head.
If you nudge him in the side when he's about to lead he fails.
If you put slight pressure behind him, bodywork is FINE, when he jumps then flies an extra 2 meters and bends at the middle half the time to boot.

His bread and butter has been marking the ball at it's highest point on the lead, and converting shots on goals at a high rate.
Yes, the quality of the balls aimed at him have been as poor as ever. But the bloke is also dropping marks, flying one handed, and over running the ball more than ever. His set shot accuracy is also, funnily enough, shot. His confidence is dead and buried. We start putting the ball out in front of him a bit more and he might come good in a few regards, but lord almighty his weaknesses are mighty and they are being mightily exploited by defenders.

I was defending him a fair bit for the first few rounds, but he has literally gotten worse in almost every aspect (did see a bit of defensive physicality from him in the second half yesterday, but that's literally the only positive I can find).

I don't know what's actually wrong with him. I'm guessing there's some heightened anxiety with him regarding the COVID situation, some are more affected than others, and hyper socially conscious people are prone to it, but that's just guesswork. But it also looks, to me, like he's trying too hard to avoid the scragging now that it's intensified and that now everything has culminated in just an abhorrent form and confidence slump.

If there was a legitimate second tier comp I'd be sending him to it and making do with what we have. But being dropped and forced to play in the abominations that pass for scratch matches isn't going to do him any bloody good whatsoever.

The excuses of delivery aren’t valid this week.

Walker put in a shift of the required effort, with the same shit delivery.

Walker took 5 contested marks last night, the most in the league so far this round.

Not sure that footy is currently his main priority. I noticed in the Hayden video during the week he was sitting at the table feeding his young daughter. There is nothing wrong with that obviously but I thought to myself how much these players lives have changed this season. Mental strength isn’t only on the footy field it’s also how you react to adversity off it. We don’t know how much it’s impacting them and their families. Confidence only needs to be 5-10% off and you can lose it completely which is where I think he is at the moment. Not sure a week off would help given he has no escape from that footy bubble.

Is he creating any where near as much as space as he used to? He used to create a lot more space between his defender and himself when trying to lead. He is getting ragged dolled a fair bit, but walker took a few of his grabs when brown lead his defender up the ground. Maybe he does need to come up more. Larkey/walker at FF

Walker put in a shift of the required effort, with the same sh*t delivery.

Walker took 5 contested marks last night, the most in the league so far this round.
We can thank Zurhaar's calf for forcing Rhyce to play Bmac and send Walker forward (which a few people called for last week) but BBB isn't built like Walker and needs space and decent delivery to function.

Different players.

Brown is an elite finisher. He runs 15 km a game, leads as much as anyone and is an elite lead and kick. We know he's not a contested mark. If he has a midfield incapable of moving the ball properly, hes pissing into the wind.

We can thank Zurhaar's calf for forcing Rhyce to play Bmac and send Walker forward (which a few people called for last week) but BBB isn't built like Walker and needs space and decent delivery to function.
Bens 200cm, if we kick it down the line, his job is if he can’t mark it, get the ball to ground. If he can’t do either of these things he becomes a liability. Now that his goal kicking has all but deserted him, he needs a spell or we’re going to have another Thomas situation on our hands.

Yep. Said it in Joshs thread that Brown and Wood get zero excuses as they got shown out by a bloke who gave a **** and wanted to compete.

I honestly think Brown wants to go home to Melbourne and be with his family in a comfortable environment. Tbh let them go. What’s the point now of having him up in Queensland and playing like this. End the nightmare for all of us and let’s get the forward line moving again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back