Analysis 54 seconds left, 4 points down

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Mitchell gets the ball on the center wing in traffic.
Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 7.37.31 AM.png

And hurriedly bombs it to the forward flank, directly to an unmanned Jenkins:
Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 7.38.05 AM.png

But had he looked up - he would have seen three open swans streaming through the corridor:
Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 7.37.48 AM.png

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Not just Mitchell. There were numerous times when we orchestrated a line of free players inboard - similar spacing to Buddy and Parker(?) in that photo and the Swan with the ball burned them in favour of a long kick.

Adelaide brought plenty of heat. But we had enough chances to kick a winning score.

I love mitchell one of my favs

He needs to realise he is a better kick than he seems to think and go to kick more often with less panic

The swans under the pump still resort to crash and bash, which can work, but it just means this can happen

Even in 2012 it was still the case it just worked out because Mattner laid a great tackle

Dunno, I think we just mark our own hard occasionally

I would say its more often execution of skill than the actual decision

Eg one not under pressure but jack out on his own and i cant remember who kicked to him maybe grundy, but the kick was so bloody high a crow defender got to him to spoil

If the kick was nice and flat we were off

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm glad you put that together because I hadn't even noticed the loose players. Mitchell does to love to wildly hack it forward and he normally gets away with it. But crows would have had a couple loose men back.

Ah well! As long as it's addressed in the review during the week.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Dunno, I think we just mark our own hard occasionally

I would say its more often execution of skill than the actual decision

Eg one not under pressure but jack out on his own and i cant remember who kicked to him maybe grundy, but the kick was so bloody high a crow defender got to him to spoil

If the kick was nice and flat we were off
Should mark them hard if they want to contend for the flag imo, often the GF comes down to a single moment and well let's just say you don't want to stuff it up.

Anyways nitpicking one particular moment late in the game isn't the reason we lost the game. There are other glaring issues that need to be addressed. Including the backline and the mids when the other midfield turns up the heat. I50 kicking is also atrocious (but that comes down to decision making as well i.e. just not lowering our eyes).

Should mark them hard if they want to contend for the flag imo, often the GF comes down to a single moment and well let's just say you don't want to stuff it up.

Anyways nitpicking one particular moment late in the game isn't the reason we lost the game. There are other glaring issues that need to be addressed. Including the backline and the mids when the other midfield turns up the heat. I50 kicking is also atrocious (but that comes down to decision making as well i.e. just not lowering our eyes).

Yep mark them hard

But i think watching all teams there are similar moments every week, thats all i meant

mitchell is making a split mili second decision, its not easy

MARK In TIME

All Australian
Oct 6, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Rubbing the salt in with those pictures. :cry:

I thought our final centre bounce set up was strange at the time, but pulling Buddy up the ground looked like it was the right thing to do. The plan was clearly to run it rather than kick it hurriedly forward to an Adelaide defensive set up that had loaded up. No doubt Buddy would be one of the very few who could steam down the corridor and kick from fifty.

Kicking it forward was either a function of Tom panicking under intense pressure, or a communication breakdown. Perhaps both. There is a lesson to be learned either way.

Yep. Was tearing my hair out. But he's usually got decent vision, sometimes even the best players just don't see the right option. Imagine him firing out the handball though, Buddy getting on the end and goaling from 50...

Especially with the pressure in the pack/contest. Titchell had a down game, but on a whole the quality if the game is something to look forward with

The young #41 blazed away at goal a couple of times when he could have passed but who knows how things turn out with small moments going different ways.
Yep I love Paps but geez he burned Buddy with not giving a handball when open

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
esay to put the blame onthe last player to make a mistake on the day. plenty of players made mistakes throughout the night which contributed to our loss, but im sure not a single person here is going to go through and review the entire game for every mistake or missed opportunity. no need to bash on one player.

MARK In TIME

All Australian
Oct 6, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Almost certainly the former. He would have had 4 guys yelling for him to handball into the corridor then.

It would have been so loud he may not have heard to be fair. Then again, a part of me thinks that Tom would have looked had he expected people to be there. It's an interesting one, but I guess it's for the coaches to figure out.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
When clubs offer contracts to their players, some are worth the 800-900K they are being offered by other clubs (Pendles) & others are only worth 400K per year maximum no matter how many possessions they gather.

Awareness in a player is priceless as very few have it at all times but those that gather plenty of ball & only have awareness occasionally in matches with no heat in them are a dime a dozen.

I have a feeling that Horse wouldn't be too fazed if the Blues were to offer Tommy overs to bring him home. The club will stand it's ground for this reason.

If Tommy is to stay a Swan then it would be for significantly less than he will get else where.
I still expect him to stay but wouldn't be surprised if he cashed in & left us.

Almost certainly the former. He would have had 4 guys yelling for him to handball into the corridor then.

Mitchell reverted to what he has always done ( & probably drilled into him from birth).
Can't really blame him, it is those kinds of things that separates the really good players from the rest.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, this cost us.

The other thing i didn't like about the last couple of minutes was Buddy going into the centre for the last bounce. We have the most stacked midfield in the league for clearances, just stay up forward bud and take two defenders out of the game.

Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, this cost us.

The other thing i didn't like about the last couple of minutes was Buddy going into the centre for the last bounce. We have the most stacked midfield in the league for clearances, just stay up forward bud and take two defenders out of the game.

He takes two but there was probably another 7 there. They had to go all in and it was worth a shot.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
My thinking of having Buddy in there was to get the ball into the forward line and lock it in for either a bounce or a throw in set play as the Crows had most of their team thrown behind the ball. We had only one chance to get it in and if we didn't it would (and it did) go out the back for a Crows goal.

I have no issue with the team trying to win the game

Back