Analysis 54 seconds left, 4 points down

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean if you go through the whole game there are so many little things that you can point out where we lost it what about that kick from Mcgoven 70 out and nobody on the line so it bounces a few times for a goal without anyone touching it, add a few bounces of the ball and some luck and we could of walked away with the 4 points.

We didn't do a lot wrong we probably lose that game by 6 goals last year.

When clubs offer contracts to their players, some are worth the 800-900K they are being offered by other clubs (Pendles) & others are only worth 400K per year maximum no matter how many possessions they gather.

Awareness in a player is priceless as very few have it at all times but those that gather plenty of ball & only have awareness occasionally in matches with no heat in them are a dime a dozen.

I have a feeling that Horse wouldn't be too fazed if the Blues were to offer Tommy overs to bring him home. The club will stand it's ground for this reason.

If Tommy is to stay a Swan then it would be for significantly less than he will get else where.
I still expect him to stay but wouldn't be surprised if he cashed in & left us.
Since when is Carlton Tom's home?

Since when is Carlton Tom's home?

Haven't you been reading the Vic media articles on him?

Barry played 38 games for Carlton but only playred 170 for us, so that makes Carlton his home.:rolleyes:

I meant home where his family is.

Tommy will do the smart thing though & stay with us as he will want to be successful.

Meh. Cannot get to hung up on poor vision or lack of skills late yesterday. It was one of the most physically demanding games i can remember in a long time. Players would have been exhausted. Cannot blame mitchell
Must admit I hate blaming the last play.

So many other went wrong from opening bounce to final siren that made a difference as well.

Hating on one player with one decision is a bit tough. There were 21 other players that made a few million decisions for nearly 4x30min quarters that meant we were 4 points down with 54 seconds left. If any of them had made a different decision earlier in the game and we were 2 points up with 54 seconds left, maybe Mitchell wouldn't have made his...

Related, but not as critical.

This was another major missed opportunity. Noticed this live and it bothered me a bit.

hV0ljDz.png

A 3-on-1: Hanners, McGlynn and Towers vs Hartigan. Instead of giving the simple handball to McGlynn which in all likelihood would have resulted in a shot (or at the very least Towers would become open), Hanners blazes away and gets closer to kicking it out on the full than kicking a goal.
SkeletalGrossFossa.gif

Last edited:
Meh, Hannebery was reasonably balanced there. Had time, was on a reasonable angle. I have no issue with him taking the kick, personally. No use worrying about these (genuine, Barrett you ******* idiot) sliding door moments, especially that early in the game.

Mitchell's error is particularly annoying because it was symptomatic of a problem we have as a team - blindly hacking the ball forward rather than taking our time and lowering the eyes. I don't think we have a problem with taking selfish shots.

This was another major missed opportunity. Noticed this live and it bothered me a bit.

hV0ljDz.png

A 3-on-1: Hanners, McGlynn and Towers vs Hartigan. Instead of giving the simple handball to McGlynn which in all likelihood would have resulted in a shot (or at the very least Towers would become open), Hanners blazes away and gets closer to kicking it out on the full than kicking a goal.
SkeletalGrossFossa.gif

Nowhere near as bad an error as Mitchell's.

We set up late in the game specifically to run the ball, all their players were behind the ball, the LAST thing we wanted to do was hack the ball forward.
Mitchell's was poor game awareness, poor vision and panic.
Hanners probably could have given the handball but it was poor kicking rather than poor decision making.

Nowhere near as bad an error as Mitchell's.

We set up late in the game specifically to run the ball, all their players were behind the ball, the LAST thing we wanted to do was hack the ball forward.
Mitchell's was poor game awareness, poor vision and panic.
Hanners probably could have given the handball but it was poor kicking rather than poor decision making.

Agreed. Just something I noticed at the time and the post was most relevant in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hV0ljDz.png

SkeletalGrossFossa.gif
Benny was in the perfect position. That said, Hannes would kick those 80% of the time and hit the post so probably not too unreasonable.

the amount of in 50 we have week to week ( last year ) to not score most entries really must do the coaching staffs head in
If we lowered our eyes and had better kicking skills we be almost unstoppable because we have no bloody issue of getting it down there
They were good week 1 and 2 but they reverted to bombing when rhe heat was on against gws and the crows
I don't think it will stand up against the best , they set up to well these days for long bombing

Smithy's problem here is he kept his feet. If he'd taken the dive, I reckon he would've been paid the kick.

Of course, we got a grand final goal in very similar circumstances, so you can't be too precious.

I bet he dives the next time that happens

Some interesting stats published on the AFL site today.

Tom Mitchell is level with Callum Mills and Swans board lovechild/constant ball-butcher Nick Smith on points conceded from turnovers

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-20/giving-it-away

Interesting. Ranked second for turnovers:

The star-studded Swans midfield wins plenty of their own footy, but the likes of Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Kieren Jack and Dan Hannebery also work hard to create space and time for their teammates all over the ground, helping limit their giveaway rate. Turnovers from their back 50 hurt the side in 2015, but the likes of Jeremy Laidler (84.5 per cent), Dane Rampe (76.3 per cent) and Ted Richards (75 per cent) have improved their disposal efficiency and eliminated those costly errors from their game. - Adam Curley
Points conceded from turnovers in 2016: 45.8 per game (ranked seventh)
Giveaways (turnovers from an error): 80 (ranked second)
Most turnovers this season: Tom Mitchell (25)
Most points conceded from turnovers: Tom Mitchell, Callum Mills, Nick Smith (25)

Some interesting stats published on the AFL site today.

Tom Mitchell is level with Callum Mills and Swans board lovechild/constant ball-butcher Nick Smith on points conceded from turnovers

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-20/giving-it-away

I'm not surprised Smith is there. This stat should, you'd expect, be led with people playing close to goal, where inevitable mistakes are costly. You'd expect your inside midfielders would lead the overall turnover count. It's a bit weird Mitchell features in both.

Your ideal result is Geelong, I think. Low turnover numbers, a forward leading the total turnover stat, and a defender leading the points conceded stat with a very low figure. Shows their midfield is valuing possession.

Your boy Laidler looking good with his DE% this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back