Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – Round 8 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to remember that we apparently offered pick 6, 11 and a future first for Reid before the draft. I think there's still a legitimate case to be made about Reid being streets ahead of everyone else, and some uncertainty about what becomes of Tholstrup and the F1 pick, but given what we've seen of Windsor so far, we clearly wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade today.

Interesting to remember that we apparently offered pick 6, 11 and a future first for Reid before the draft. I think there's still a legitimate case to be made about Reid being streets ahead of everyone else, and some uncertainty about what becomes of Tholstrup and the F1 pick, but given what we've seen of Windsor so far, we clearly wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade today.

If the 2024 Trade Period opens with Matthew Clarke offering us Reid in exchange for Windsor, Tholstrup and our FRP then Tim Lamb would bite his hand off. He will probably even throw in some unsolicited second rounders for good measure!

Windsor hits the scoreboard which is something we haven't had out of our midfield for awhile, Trac excluded. He could have got 3 goals last week.

I was sceptical of the pick only because I didn't think a winger was a position of need that is worth burning a top pick on given that there was some promising KPD prospects on the board. For what it is worth, I would have selected one of Curtin, Caddy or O'Sullivan. I don't buy into the rumour that GWS would have taken him with the next pick, I think he a flight risk; he gives me major mummy's boy vibes. I think Windsor would have been gettable at pick 13 which is the range similarly rated players like Wilson and Leake were projected to be taken.

Windsor looks like he will be a productive player that will have a 200+ game career as long as he doesn't cop a severe injury or get Melbourne'd by Goody.

I think that's a shocking bet mate lol Reid's probably already won it if he plays half a dozen more games.
I don’t think Windsor if favourite by any means - but $23 odds is wrong.

WCE could easily rest Reid at times in the second half, or (heaven forbid) he is out for a few months with an injury.

But yes, I can’t see how they couldn’t pick Reid given the hype, even if the reality of output is close.

I don’t think Windsor if favourite by any means - but $23 odds is wrong.

WCE could easily rest Reid at times in the second half, or (heaven forbid) he is out for a few months with an injury.

But yes, I can’t see how they couldn’t pick Reid given the hype, even if the reality of output is close.
I think you're over valuing Windsor still a little. He's looked good for us, but in the context of him being so different to what we have. Harley Reid's already in the discussion for one of the best 20-30 mids in the comp. Been some other first year players stand up as well

I think that's a shocking bet mate lol Reid's probably already won it if he plays half a dozen more games.
Its not that bad, if Reid goes down with a knee this week what odds is Windsor then? Less than $5. Betting on Reid at $1.30 this far out is a shocking bet.

DEES LOOK TO LOCK AWAY YOUNG GUN

Melbourne is about to kickstart talks with their young Rising Star contender Caleb Windsor on a new deal past his mandatory three-season contract.

In the eyes of Bulldogs legend Brad Johnson, Windsor is the Rising Star favourite and peeled off another spectacular game against the Blues on Thursday night.

Windsor is in the first year of a three-year contract, which will limit what he can earn, so the security of an extended deal would attract for the Lysterfield product in Melbourne’s east.

The Demons are also keen to extend Ed Langdon’s deal and foresee few issues on that front, given the 28-year-old’s form.

Despite interest in Clayton Oliver from rival clubs after last year’s aborted trade Demons football boss Alan Richardson told Fox Footy on Thursday night both parties had “fallen back in love” after a rocky summer. He said he would be “staggered if there was a parting of the ways”, with Oliver contracted to 2030.

AFL trade wrap: The latest news from around the competition

DEES LOOK TO LOCK AWAY YOUNG GUN

Melbourne is about to kickstart talks with their young Rising Star contender Caleb Windsor on a new deal past his mandatory three-season contract.

In the eyes of Bulldogs legend Brad Johnson, Windsor is the Rising Star favourite and peeled off another spectacular game against the Blues on Thursday night.

Windsor is in the first year of a three-year contract, which will limit what he can earn, so the security of an extended deal would attract for the Lysterfield product in Melbourne’s east.

The Demons are also keen to extend Ed Langdon’s deal and foresee few issues on that front, given the 28-year-old’s form.

Despite interest in Clayton Oliver from rival clubs after last year’s aborted trade Demons football boss Alan Richardson told Fox Footy on Thursday night both parties had “fallen back in love” after a rocky summer. He said he would be “staggered if there was a parting of the ways”, with Oliver contracted to 2030.

AFL trade wrap: The latest news from around the competition

Tbh if I’m Windsor I’m not signing a deal until mid/late next year, he could really demand good coin if he keeps playing like this.

I just wouldn't bet on that market
In markets like this backing outsiders is the go, I also didnt mention that if Reid was to get suspended he cant win it, and as we know, in today's climate you dont need to do much to get a suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In markets like this backing outsiders is the go, I also didnt mention that if Reid was to get suspended he cant win it, and as we know, in today's climate you dont need to do much to get a suspension.
The hype around Reid is so crazy even if he does his knee in 2 games they'll probably still give it to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back