AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell - Such an attacking weapon

Remove this Banner Ad

Potentially in the AFL.
Yep. In the injury report it specifically says Langford and Jones are unavailable this week. No such comment attached to Caldwell... and we've seen them do that already with Shiel and McGrath given the situation with the VFL and scratchies.

I think they'd rather run him on limited minutes this week than wait a week and bring him straight into an elimination final (if we win etc etc)

I think whether they 'risk' Caldwell in the seniors probably comes down to:
1) Who would he replace and what role would he play?
but probably more likely 2) How confident they are in McGrath running out a full game.

Shiel's played enough by now that they should be confident in his minutes. But that took him a few weeks. McGrath, 2nd game back, is he 'fully' right to go? If not, you'd be hesitant on having both him and Caldwell a bit underdone as runners in a must-win.

If he doesn’t play this week, can you really play him in a final after not playing for literally the whole season. Sub at most.

I reckon you can. Especially if he stars at VFL level in a full game.

Not saying we absolutely should but certainly not out of the question.

If he didn't have those matches at VFL level under his belt though i would say no.

It’s not vfl level though, they are scratch matches.

I think you can scratch match or not. I believe they played against some decent enough names in the scratch.

I also imagine the club believes he can play the first final, unless the loss of the bye has changed that thinking.

Otherwise I don't see any point in playing him for a half last week and a full game this week with no intention of believing he can be picked for the first final, unless they wanted two full games with the 2nd being in the bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he get through a game though? He played round 1, then was injured in round 2 and hasn't been seen since.
It would be a risk to play him.

I think you can scratch match or not. I believe they played against some decent enough names in the scratch.

I also imagine the club believes he can play the first final, unless the loss of the bye has changed that thinking.

Otherwise I don't see any point in playing him for a half last week and a full game this week with no intention of believing he can be picked for the first final, unless they wanted two full games with the 2nd being in the bye
He was always coming back to play late this year regardless if we were going to make finals or not. We’ve really hit our straps in the past 3 weeks, if we make finals it would be then insane to take out 3 players who have played a role in that to put in 3 guys (langford, Jones and Caldwell) who for 2 of them haven’t played senior footy in a long time. Langford seems likely to come in if he’s right to go, it would be a huge unnecessary risk to bring more guys that won’t be afl match hardened. Guelfi is the type of guy I want in my team for a final, these are the types that will get tipped out and in my opinion would ruin the current team chemistry.

He was always coming back to play late this year regardless if we were going to make finals or not. We’ve really hit our straps in the past 3 weeks, if we make finals it would be then insane to take out 3 players who have played a role in that to put in 3 guys (langford, Jones and Caldwell) who for 2 of them haven’t played senior footy in a long time. Langford seems likely to come in if he’s right to go, it would be a huge unnecessary risk to bring more guys that won’t be afl match hardened.

I'd hope the club hasn't picked Caldwell to play scratch matches with no intention of playing AFL

Ridiculous risk to take

I'd hope the club hasn't picked Caldwell to play scratch matches with no intention of playing AFL

Ridiculous risk to take
If he's ready to play and theres game time available you'd be silly not to get the minutes into him. If we cop injuries vs Pies but still make it through it gives you another guy to consider bringing in the next week.

Ridiculous risk to take
So what are they doing with Baldwin then. It’s his recovery if he’s fit to play, they want him to play. He could’ve played on weekend and we lost to her suns are we probably aren’t playing finals.

When was the last time Baldwin played?

I guess you take into account likelihoods
What’s the difference they are both being played because the medical and s&c department have ticked them off. All I’m saying is Caldwell shouldnt be coming into the side as an unforced change straight up, if injuries hit that’s a different story.

What’s the difference they are both being played because the medical and s&c department have ticked them off. All I’m saying is Caldwell shouldnt be coming into the side as an unforced change straight up, if injuries hit that’s a different story.

All I'm saying is if he's fit and ready to go then I'd hope they aren't just ruling him out because its a final. I'd hope they've decided to play him this late with the preparedness to play him at the top level if everything aligns

I'm not saying he should be an automatic inclusion either. They mightve wanted 2 full games from him before considering for AFL selection. I just don't think he had to play AFL this week to be an option for AFL the following week.

Baldwin hasn't played in ages isn't near the best side anytime soon. Their status amongst the side is completely different

Caldwell's a big part of 2022 we want a full pre season out of him. Baldwin isnt

Last edited:
All I'm saying is if he's fit and ready to go then I'd hope they aren't just ruling him out because its a final. I'd hope they've decided to play him this late with the preparedness to play him at the top level if everything aligns

I'm not saying he should be an automatic inclusion either. They mightve wanted 2 full games from him before considering for AFL selection. I just don't think he had to play AFL this week to be an option for AFL the following week.

Baldwin hasn't played in ages isn't near the best side anytime soon. Their status amongst the side is completely different

Caldwell's a big part of 2022 we want a full pre season out of him. Baldwin isnt
How is Baldw not a big part of 2022... have you seen what jones has done this year. If Baldwin gets through the preseason with no set backs he’ll come into selection frame very quickly. Such a talented player that already has mature body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back