AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Consistency the key for Caldwell​

Young gun looks to build on strong finish to 2022.

17BrEs22RF-45.jpg

In every budding superstar’s career, there’s always a coming-of-age moment.

When Essendon took out a 10-point victory at the Gabba against Premiership contenders Brisbane in round 17, young midfielder Jye Caldwell stood tall, playing the best game of his short career.

It could prove to be that coming-of-age moment.
Caldwell went head-to-head with Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale and came out victorious.
Playing a predominantly run-with role on the Lions ball magnet, the 21-year-old was able to nullify his impact, holding him to a mere 21 disposals, well below Neale’s season average.

While the tag was tight, Caldwell had no trouble finding his own footy, accumulating 26 disposals himself – a season high.

It showed what the highly rated junior could produce, finally achieving some consistency after a wretched run with injury.

As he looks forward, Caldwell is ready to continue his upwards trajectory in the 2023 season.

“Obviously I have had a few injuries in the past, but last season I technically played a full season,” Caldwell said.

“I got my shoulder fixed in the off-season which is great as it was bugging me a lot last year.

“I’m ready to come into 2023 and hopefully cause some havoc.”​

- Jye Caldwell
The 22-year-old took his games total to 34 off the back of the 20 he played in 2022.

After being through a tricky season, Caldwell is among a large number of young players ready to improve the club’s position next season.

With Brad Scott taking the reins, Caldwell is certain that the change ahead will be for the betterment of the entire playing group.

“It’s super exciting,” he said

“I’m used to change, but I believe it’s a good one and the boys already have bought in and have Brad’s back.

“Even in the pre-Christmas block, we have learnt plenty of new structures and strategies.”

With things set in stone, Caldwell already knows what needs to be done and has set some personal goals for the upcoming season.

“Firstly, I just want to build off this season and maintain consistency,” Caldwell said.

“Some other personal goals would be to play consistent footy wherever I play, improve my running, tackling and just being a better teammate.”

With lofty expectations set for himself, Caldwell doesn’t let this take away from his time off the field, where he maintains hobbies such a coffee and cooking.

“I have a couple hobbies; I am really into my coffee,” he said.

“I like to buy different beans and try different coffees at home.

“Cooking is something I have started to get into as well, I am a massive steak man.

“I love to cook a medium rare and love to take the time to head down to the local butcher.”

While many would be keen to try one of Caldwell’s steaks, Don’s fans will also be looking forward to what he can cook up in season 2023.

Quick fire questions: Jye Caldwell​

Coffee order: Double shot latte

Top of Xmas list: New Travis Scott shoes

Fav training drill: Goal kicking

Favourite player growing up: Lenny Hayes – midfield coach at GWS, got a message from him on draft night.

Rolled ankle in the praccy
You’d struggle to find something more on brand for us.

Jumping and pivoting in mid air trying to take an uncontested mark but loses the ball looking straight into the sun and lands awkwardly, we’re probably lucky it’s not worse to be honest. It looked bad.

What's his role this year?
Is he going to play through the forwardline? After toweling up Neale and whomever it was the following week last year, I would have thought Caldwell was sorted. It frustrates me that he could be just as much a ball pig as Parish, with a defensive side to his game, yet it doesn't look like his on-ball time will have any permanence. Setterfield and Caldwell in the middle more should allow Merret and Shiel to go nuts.

Is he going to play through the forwardline? After toweling up Neale and whomever it was the following week last year, I would have thought Caldwell was sorted. It frustrates me that he could be just as much a ball pig as Parish, with a defensive side to his game, yet it doesn't look like his on-ball time will have any permanence. Setterfield and Caldwell in the middle more should allow Merret and Shiel to go nuts.
Do you reckon he is a ball pig like Parish though? He’s not really and 30 possession rack them up type. I get more a Tom Libratore type. And god knows we need that. Likewise I hope he is a mainstay in the middle of the ground.

Do you reckon he is a ball pig like Parish though? He’s not really and 30 possession rack them up type. I get more a Tom Libratore type. And god knows we need that. Likewise I hope he is a mainstay in the middle of the ground.
Setterfield and Caldwell with either of Shiel/Parish at the CBA and Merrett off a wing could work.
His body needs to hold up to allow him some continuity.

This is year 5 for him. He got through 20 games last year. Would like to see him play a full season with good time on the ball.

Reintegrating with main training after rolled ankle
Midfielder Jye Caldwell sprained his ankle in the side’s second practice match against St Kilda and will be assessed for selection this week.

“Jye suffered a minor sprained ankle against St Kilda. He’s been really diligent with his rehabilitation which has enabled him to return to running in a short amount of time. He has satisfied all the milestones set by the high-performance team and will reintegrate into the main group this week,” McPherson said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked a bit off the pace, probably needs a week to get back from the ankle tweak. 16 possies at 93% he’s a good user when ball is in hand.
looked like didnt play in the guts as much as some of the other mids (based on centre bounce attendance numbers) so theyre either easing him back or he's down the pecking order now with setterfield in team.

Needs to improve. Atm seems to in a holding place until an xfactor type becomes ready. Stringer, Jayden or Munkara.
Well that's a bizarre take considering he's a midfielder and all of them are forwards.

Well that's a bizarre take considering he's a midfielder and all of them are forwards.
His slot has been taken by Setterfield, I think he attended 1 centre bounce. Hes not a winger or a half forward, if this is how we intend to use him going forward, his spot would be better served by someone with a stronger influence elsewhere than a mid exclusively existing for repeat stoppages. And his craft would be better served developing at centre bounces at vfl level.

His slot has been taken by Setterfield, I think he attended 1 centre bounce. Hes not a winger or a half forward, if this is how we intend to use him going forward, his spot would be better served by someone with a stronger influence elsewhere than a mid exclusively existing for repeat stoppages. And his craft would be better served developing at centre bounces at vfl level.
Trade Parish for a tall key back or draft pick/s and Caldwell plays midfield, or Calders bides his time until Shiel retires. Maybe it's Hobbs who we should be concerned about being poached if he doesn't get as much play.

Trade Parish for a tall key back or draft pick/s and Caldwell plays midfield, or Calders bides his time until Shiel retires. Maybe it's Hobbs who we should be concerned about being poached if he doesn't get as much play.

This is what depth feels like I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back