Retired 7. Harry Taylor (2008-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: No. 7 Harry Taylor

Harry Taylor ready to fill the void

FROM a bunch of Carlton no-names to a full-strength and flying Collingwood outfit - it won't get much different for Geelong this week.

Particularly for its backline, which will face a potent Magpie attack in the NAB Cup grand final on Friday.

And if the pre-season competition is about finding the next generation, then the Cats should emerge from this summer even more confident that the foundation of its next defensive unit is in good hands.

The fact that Harry Taylor can play at this level is no revelation. We learned that last year.

But that he's so ready, willing and able to take control of the Geelong backline in just his second AFL season is a bit more of a surprise, even though it probably shouldn't be.

Taylor had 20 possessions in the first half against Carlton on Saturday night, the result of some sloppy disposal by the Blues going inside their forward 50.

Then, after half time, with Tom Harley out injured, Andrew Mackie being rested and Matthew Scarlett subbed out of the game, Taylor became the one commanding the troops.

And he liked it.

"I was playing a little bit deeper there at that stage so I could have a have a bit of an idea where guys were so I was trying to direct a bit of traffic, but I think it's not just me, everyone down there really stood up and tried to fill the void of Matty," Taylor said.

"And obviously without Tom, the whole pre-season everyone's tried to lift themselves in terms of leadership and direction.

"I like to have responsibility and helping out the other players. It might be my second year but that doesn't mean anything at all, everyone's taught to play the same way and anyone can be a leader out there, so it's just a matter of using the voice and having good game knowledge.

"I've set myself some pretty high standards this year and I guess coming in last year I didn't have too many expectations on myself, but this year I've raised the bar and that's what you've got to do if you're going to become a better player."

Taylor will have no shortage of possible opponents on Friday night, given Collingwood's tall forward stocks, even while still missing veteran Anthony Rocca.

"I played on Cameron Cloke today and I think his brother Travis would be a match-up that I might be able to have a look at, otherwise there's John Anthony, who's been leading up quite well," he said.

"There's Ben Reid as well so there's a few taller options down there for me to perhaps play on.

"They move the ball quite well and their forwards are very active. Obviously (they've) got some big targets to create a contest and then their smaller players like (Alan) Didak and (Leon) Davis are very creative, very smart the way they set up around the bigger players, so that's going to be something, structure-wise, we're going to have to be very, very switched on next week."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/03/09/55601_gfc.html

Re: 2011 Geelong Board player review - Six senior players remain!

#34: Simon Hogan , Geelong Board player review, 2011

2011 Statistics: 1 game, 1 kick, 6 handballs, 3 tackles.

Were this record ascribed to any other player drafted in 2006, it would be a portent of impending career death. That Simon Hogan was able to achieve them in 2011 is a triumph of the will.

Simon Hogan's road has been long and treacherous. With no irony intended in any sense, the sheer fact that he is still a member of the Cats after all that he has been through is down to sheer bloody mindedness and mental strength. It would have been so easy to have chucked everything in and fade away into the anonymity of a could-have-been, but Hoges is still with us, still pursuing that elusive dream.

Simon was drafted at #57 in the 2006 National Draft as a 182cm tall/ 68kg midfielder. Despite his 2007 season being plagued by recurring groin injuries, he still managed to be a member of the VFL championship winning team.

It took Simon two years to finally get a crack at the bigs. After the VFL triumph of 2007, he was named emergency for the AFL team for five separate games in 2008 but never got to actually run on with them. His debut finally came in Round 2 of the 2009 season, but he then disappeared until Round 14. In the famous 1 point Lazarus like victory against the Hawks in Round 17 that year, Simon was one of those players who significantly lifted their performances in that glorious final quarter and drove the team to that most wondrous of wins.

Come the finals, however, and Simon was back in his traditional role: running on the field after the final game in his snazzy navy suit to celebrate yet another Geelong premiership.

Injuries are very much Simon's bete noir. Prior to this past season, he has also had to contend with osteitis pubis, ankle problems, back problems and glandular fever. The path to the AFL has been long and arduous. Not so long ago he was regarded as one of the three great new hopes for Geelong, the others being Ryan Gamble and Kane Tenace. Those two are now both long gone, but Simon endures.

Anyone with any reasonable knowledge with footy would be aware of Simon's 2011. He had a cracker of a pre-season and had bulked up to 83kg without losing any speed, endurance or flexibility. Then the nagging doubts that had been building up ever so slightly and insinuously finally overwhelmed him, and Simon was given time off by the club to address the mental health issues confronting him.

I believe that the club - and especially, Simon's peers - handled this situation sensitively and compassionately. He was offered all the support he could ask for, but opted to work through the situation himself with chosen professional and personal support. And thankfully, it does appear that he has now fully emerged from the tunnel.

Simon was eased back into the VFL team and played 9 games, being credited among the best players for the Cats in 5 of those games. At the end of the season, he was Geelong's equal highest vote winner in the Liston Trophy (the VFL equivalent of the Brownlow). The tokenistic AFL appearance was basically a reaffirmation of the club's continuing faith in his potential to become a significant member of the AFL team. The actual stats of that game are an irrelevance.

If ever a player deserves to get some lucky breaks, it has to be Simon Hogan. He is very popular in the clubhouse, and widely respected in the community. He is highly intelligent (and we are talking the Harry Taylor end of the spectrum here), and very generous, as evinced by his morally courageous public advocacy for Head Space, the promotions vehicle for the National Youth Mental Health Foundation.

He has superb physical gifts, including outstanding acceleration, elite level endurance and a Jimmy Bartelian propensity for verticality. His Achilles heel in the past has often been his slight frame (now comprehensively bulkier than in his early days) and occasionally dodgy decision making and ball disposal.

2011 was to have been Simon's crux year, when his career would either take off or crash and burn. In a way, it was a indeed a critical year, but the club - and far more importantly, Simon himself - instead focused on addressing the far more important issues confronting him.

He has lost none of the physical and mental talents required to establish a worthy AFL career with the Cats. He has spent far too long a time in the fires of the smelter, so I for one am both confident and hopeful that the real steel at the core of Simon Hogan will finally shine through in 2012.
Nobody deserves it more.

Re: 2011 Geelong Board player review - Six senior players remain!

#7: Harry Taylor, Geelong Board player review, 2011

Unlike many of our community here, I'm not the sort of fan who carries a man-crush for any players. I tend to like them from afar and happily revel in their triumphs while minimising their mortal failings. To be honest, I don't even have any desire to meet them away from the field of dreams.

At one stage I coached three members of the national basketball team - including the captain and starting centre - in Div 1 in Canberra in the mid 80s and contributed absolutely nothing to their career progression (but we did win the championship). At times, my work has also brought me into close working relationships with Olympic medallists of all hues and sundry World Champions, but sporting celebrities don't tend to appeal to me at all on the basis of their sporting prowess or public profiles alone. I've rubbed shoulders with sporting stars, and to be honest, in real life a lot of them really aren't all that interesting, or occasionally, the sort of people you'd want within a million miles of your kids.

Kinda like every other member of the human race, really.

Harry Taylor is the one Geelong Cat that I wouldn't mind meeting away from footy. I'd even let him meet my son as well. Him, as a fellow military history nerd, I would find incredibly interesting, even though our beloved "Cognac" or "Q9" is actually called "Drill Bit" by his team mates and peers.

"Drill Bit". As in "boring". (As if!)

But that's Harry. Our Harry. Arguably the most complex personality in the entire organisation. So how on earth do I present any sort of half accurate review of him in less than a tome the size of War and Peace? (Note to Harry: think eastern front. Only in an earlier war.)

OK, Lincoln referred to "lies, damned lies, and statistics", so for 2011, Harry's stats read:

Played 24 - 208 kicks/ 148 handballs/ 356 disposals; 144 marks; 18 frees for/ 9 frees against; 46 tackles.

He ranked tied for 1st in the team in marks with Corey Enright, despite playing 1 more game than Boris but getting subbed off far more often. Only Andrew Mackie scored more frees for among the backs (19), and only Taylor Hunt conceded less frees against (8, in 11 less games). And only Mackie (59) and David Wojcinski (49) had more tackles among the backs.

So it was a productive year (to put it mildly).

This compares to Harry's All-Australian season of 2010:

Played 23 - 191 kicks/ 197 handballs/ 388 disposals; 159 marks; 12 fees for/ 11 frees against; 35 tackles.

I don't know about you, but the I'd take the 2011 stats any day over the previous year, which were to that time the most productive numbers that Harry had pulled.

Everything about Harry Taylor - even his name - reads like a Jimmy Stewart movie from the late 1940's. The Harry Taylor Story features a tall raw boned country boy who, when not possessed of a draftable physique or range of skills in his teens (AFL clubs tend to like their meat young), moseys on down from his home in rural Geraldton to Perth (well, Freo, which is basically Perth Lite) and earns a physio degree while playing in the WAFL. In The Mission 2 by Scott Gullan, Harry himself is quoted as saying, "I was never anything outstanding as a junior" (p260).

Even though he was a tad older than most rookies that tend to be drafted, he nominated for the draft in his final year of uni and then focused on his studies. Nine clubs interviewed him (Stephen Wells talked to him for only two minutes in order to camouflage the depth of his interest), and many of those 9 clubs kept very much in contact (Melbourne advised him that they would definitely draft him).

The night before the draft, Our Harry attended a uni break up show, and was basically sleeping it off the next morning when the draft was run and won at 8am Sandgroper time. He eventually woke to find 95 missed calls on his mobile (including 5 from a very much less than impressed Mark Thompson) advising him that that he was going to Geelong - it was to be the very first time that he had ever left WA. He was drafted as a forward/ ruckman at pick #17, and the consensus of opinion among the clubs was that he was a wasted pick that early as he would still be available in Round 2 (or possibly later).

"You wouldn't say that he was a stand-out at all", Stephen Wells states in The Mission 2 (p259). "He wasn't even setting the world on fire the year we drafted him but he looked like someone who might be useful." His attitude and rampant professionalism was noted even then: "I was pretty confident he was a mature person who would do whatever he could to play good AFL footy." (Stephen Wells in The Mission 2, p260).

This thoroughness and perfectionalism is the cornerstone of Harry's career, and has understandably earned him the unreserved admiration of those who work closest with him.

Tom Lonergan: "He's a pretty intense character - trains like an absolute madman. He always dots the i's and crosses the t's."

David Wojcinski: "He's the ultimate professional. He'll do anything to improve his game."

Matthew Scarlett: "He's become the best centre half back in the league. I've got huge raps for Harry, and he's a terrific guy."

He became a core element of our defence from his first year (so much for being a forward come ruckman), and it seems as though he's been there forever. We Catters are just so used to seeing him glide in from the side and snare critical mark after mark from opposition kicks, and to then watch that elegant understated left boot of his initiate another retaliatory strike by the Cats. He is Rommel with a decent left boot, Slim with a clunking overhead mark.

The 2011 Grand Final summed up Harry. The SEN crew were convinced that he was carrying a leg injury, and Cloke seemed set to towel him up after sinking three goals in the first 35 minutes from ICBM like ranges. Then Krakouer gave him a bit of a facial just before half time, and Harry was left basically dazed and confused.

Come the second half though, and #7 morphed back into Our Harry once again. He started by continuing Lonergan's work shutting out Daws (while Domsy did a number on Cloke), and then bit by bit, started to dominate the air in the back half like a Spitfire ace in the Battle of Britain. But as good as his aerial work was (and it was very very good indeed), my favourite Harry moment was during one play phase when he barely touched the ball.

Watch the replay of that last quarter, and especially when there was almost a continuous scrum 10 - 15 meters out from Collingwood's goal. Ignore the melee (although there were some exceptional blocked kicks in that brawl), and watch Our Harry. He detached quickly from the main pack, and positioned himself like a soccer goalkeeper on the line between the main posts. As the mass muscle fest continued, Cloke eased into the 10m square looking for an easy gimme, and Harry immediately slid over and covered him. Finally, the ball got out to Tarrant who banged in a long shot at goal, and there was Our Harry, on the last line of defence like the defenders of Bastogne, punching the ball through for a behind and denying the Magpies the goal they so desperately needed to fuel their flagging hopes and put fire back into failing hearts.

The whole sequence displayed all that is great about Harry Taylor. Intelligence, awareness, commitment. While one All Australian centre half back was being comprehensively towelled in that game, our All Australian centre half back picked himself up from a start as dodgy as Dunkirk, dusted himself off, then assumed full control of the air war and made the big key defensive plays in the final quarter (yet again) that ensured the inevitable triumph of the master team.

Harry is the most intellectually prepared and disciplined player in the game today bar none, and only Steve Johnson does anywhere remotely near the same level of research and preparation. In only four seasons with the club, Our Harry has played in three grand finals for two wins, been awarded All Australian honours, and was promoted to the leadership group. In what is considered by many observers to be a two way race between Messrs Selwood & Bartel, Harry Taylor is widely regarded throughout the playing group as being a definite and very much deserving contender for the captaincy.

2011 was yet more of the same from Harry Taylor. More evolution, more leadership, more impact. His drafting back in 2007 was yet another Wellsian stroke of genius (as was Mark Thompson sending him to the backline), and as good as he has been, I feel that Harry Taylor - Our Harry - is only going to provide even greater highlights for the Harry Taylor Story.

With or without the late great Jimmy Stewart starring as .......

HT, the Q9.. the man with the ham and the long post win runs has decided to hang up the boots.

After 280 games one of our most resolute defenders has called time on the game.

Thanks Harry for the mark in the last 1/4 of the 09 GF.

Thanks Harry for being there for 13 years.

Thanks for not having me have to cope with the floating 9 iron cm perfect kicks out of the back 50 anymore.

Thanks for being the embodiment of everything the GFC is...

And thanks for being there.

You, like Domsy, will be missed and appreciated more than you are gone now.

All the best for the next phase and whatever comes on your future.

Thanks for carrying on the legend of the #7.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back