VFL Past #77: Heath Hocking - Coach of JHA

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 39. Heath Hocking

Very good kick on both sides.
Good pace, not overly quick but not slow.
Read the play well and had very good hands. Good on the lead.

Had all the tools, but was soft, pea hearted and lacked work rate.

Ben Haynes was a good footballer, but he never had the ticker to get the most out of himself.

Not a good kick at all. Looked good but it was deceptive and he turned it over a fair bit.

Not quick or slow but got caught plenty because his awareness was not good enough.

Nothing about ticker.. he didn't have the tools to become a good AFL footballer.

Why is Prismall better than Hocking? Both have dominated at VFL level, and Prismall hasn't taken the next step with the chances he has gotten.

Prismall has proven to be a more complete footballer at VFL and also proved that he would be a quality contributor at AFL standard. Unlucky for him that he was injured earlier in the year as he'd more than likely be playing in a GF on Saturday (with the best side all year).

Hocking is not of the same quality as Prismall. I would trade our second round for Pris' and offer a bit of cash over three years to get him over to Bomber land.

If Pris came over, he'd probably start in the middle each week. Hocking will be very lucky to get a game with us next year injuries aside (in one of the worst midfields in the comp).

Longy, who would you compare Hocking too?

A much better skilled version of Pev.
But he finds space in the corridor rather than out wide.

Not a good kick at all. Looked good but it was deceptive and he turned it over a fair bit.

Not quick or slow but got caught plenty because his awareness was not good enough.

Nothing about ticker.. he didn't have the tools to become a good AFL footballer.

Absolute crap.

All he had was his skill level and evasive skills, it's the sole reason he got as far as he did.

Prismall has proven to be a more complete footballer at VFL and also proved that he would be a quality contributor at AFL standard. Unlucky for him that he was injured earlier in the year as he'd more than likely be playing in a GF on Saturday (with the best side all year).

Hocking is not of the same quality as Prismall. I would trade our second round for Pris' and offer a bit of cash over three years to get him over to Bomber land.

If Pris came over, he'd probably start in the middle each week. Hocking will be very lucky to get a game with us next year injuries aside (in one of the worst midfields in the comp).
You said nothing in three paragraphs....

Why has he proven to be a more complete player? What's a more complete player?

Why is Hocking not of the same quality as Prismall? Prismall ahs had 3 AFL preseasons and is yet to cement himself in senoir football. You can argue Geelong is too good, but Tenace was getting a game...Tenace! Hocking is younger, and hasn't had as much opportunity. He has IMO a bigger motor than Prismall and has more versatility, in that throughout the VFL he has been played in various positions. Prismall has dominated VFL games, but did you catch Hocking's effort in the final?

I'm not neccesarily saying Hocking is better than Prismall, just more that everyone needs to calm down about Prismall.

You said nothing in three paragraphs....

Why has he proven to be a more complete player? What's a more complete player?

Why is Hocking not of the same quality as Prismall? Prismall ahs had 3 AFL preseasons and is yet to cement himself in senoir football. You can argue Geelong is too good, but Tenace was getting a game...Tenace! Hocking is younger, and hasn't had as much opportunity. He has IMO a bigger motor than Prismall and has more versatility, in that throughout the VFL he has been played in various positions. Prismall has dominated VFL games, but did you catch Hocking's effort in the final?

I'm not neccesarily saying Hocking is better than Prismall, just more that everyone needs to calm down about Prismall.

Settle down there tiger...

A more complete player is someone who is better equipped / has more tools to be a good player. I would have thought being a more complete player was pretty self explanitory but you obviously find it difficult to understand simple points.

My arguement was that Prismall was well and truly in the side before he got injured and unluckily for him has just missed the mark though would be playing in any other side because of his class - ability to win the ball penetrating / game breaking disposal, balance, ability to find space, carry the ball etc. These are traits that are important to taking the step up to AFL standard. Moreso, these traits once finetuned give a player a far greater upside than a player such as Hocking.

Hocking at AFL would only ever be a scrapper - great trait to possess but his skills, pace - both across the ground and pace of achieving effective disposal at AFL level are against him in my mind.

Here's a simple fact - Prismall would be in our starting midfield if he was in our side and we were playing next week. No questions asked. Hocking would not make the squad of 25.

Settle down there tiger...

A more complete player is someone who is better equipped / has more tools to be a good player. I would have thought being a more complete player was pretty self explanitory but you obviously find it difficult to understand simple points.

My arguement was that Prismall was well and truly in the side before he got injured and unluckily for him has just missed the mark though would be playing in any other side because of his class - ability to win the ball penetrating / game breaking disposal, balance, ability to find space, carry the ball etc. These are traits that are important to taking the step up to AFL standard. Moreso, these traits once finetuned give a player a far greater upside than a player such as Hocking.

Hocking at AFL would only ever be a scrapper - great trait to possess but his skills, pace - both across the ground and pace of achieving effective disposal at AFL level are against him in my mind.

Here's a simple fact - Prismall would be in our starting midfield if he was in our side and we were playing next week. No questions asked. Hocking would not make the squad of 25.

Prismall got dropped before he was injured. He injured himself in the VFL...

Here's another simple fact, Prismall is 2 years older than Hocking- he'd wanna be ahead of him. Saying Prismall would be in the team is like saying Pev would be in the team therefore Pev better than Jetta, Houli.

Prismall won't be elite, people need to calm down about him. There's a chance that he'll be a good player, but everyone talks him up to be a superstar. Have people even seen many of his games? He's good but he isn't completely amazing. Hocking doesn't have great pace, but Prismall isn't lightning quick either.

Prismall got dropped before he was injured. He injured himself in the VFL...

Here's another simple fact, Prismall is 2 years older than Hocking- he'd wanna be ahead of him. Saying Prismall would be in the team is like saying Pev would be in the team therefore Pev better than Jetta, Houli.

Prismall won't be elite, people need to calm down about him. There's a chance that he'll be a good player, but everyone talks him up to be a superstar. Have people even seen many of his games? He's good but he isn't completely amazing. Hocking doesn't have great pace, but Prismall isn't lightning quick either.

Mate you live in a dream....

The discussion regarding Prismall is on the table due to the fact that we're looking at getting some quality players onto our list. Simply put, to suggest that Hocking has as many qualities to allow him to thrive at AFL level shows ignorance. Seen plenty of Prismall and as I said, would be playing in any other team and still may play this week for Geelong.

Fact of the matter is that due to the strength of Geelongs list, Prismall has had limited opportunity. This makes him a realistic target for the Bombers that we woudn't need to give up much for due to salary cap pressure on Geelong. Given his qualities and the fact that he's rated very highly by the vast majority of the football world (except you), we should go after him.

That and if we got him, he'd be in our best 3 midfielders.

Some of you need to get the Essendon goggles off.

Yes, Prismall would be a in our starting 22, but next year so will Hocking IMO. The only difference between Hocking and Prismall (i think) is that Hocking put better pressure on the opposition, is better tackler and is more inside than Prismall, where as Prismall has just got better skills than Hocking and is a classier player. Prismall would be one of our best midfielders (maybe top3), but it just shows how poor our midfield is ATM, not that Prismall is necisarely an awsum player.

i kind of agree with you R & B, prismall would make our best 22, but he wouldn't be in our top 3 midfielders. stants, mcveigh, winders, lovett and potentially dempsey have him covered.

if hocking is to be in our best 22 next year, and i'm not saying he should be, it will mean that pev, jj and maybe even jobe won't be playing. we can't have too many guys in the midfield that lack that burst of pace that is so vital in the modern game, just look at port's midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to get the Prismall goggles off. He ain't no superstar as of yet.

Go back and get your facts right.

I never said he was a super star. I just said he was clearly a better footballer currently and with a bigger upside than Hocking, he would be in our top 3 midfielders and that given the Geelong situation with pressure to fit everyone into the cap, he ticks the boxes for someone we should target....

Or should we just forget about trading and be totally insular as to just seek players from the rookie list....

You clearly have a very limited understanding of footy.

prismall's foot skills are quite sublime, whilst hocking's are bad they aren't as good as prismall

if hocking is to be in our best 22 next year, and i'm not saying he should be, it will mean that pev, jj and maybe even jobe won't be playing. we can't have too many guys in the midfield that lack that burst of pace that is so vital in the modern game, just look at port's midfield.

neither is heath

i take this all back. i am officially on the hocking bandwagon. ant for the first and last time, you were right and i was wrong.

heath has the makings of a really good footballer and it was really disappointing to see him miss the second half against the saints. i'm hoping though that it was a sign that knighta is expecting to pick him in the side for round 1 and they didn't want to take any chances with his groin. he is quick enough, strong as an ox, has good foot skills and he runs all day. i hope and expect him to be picked in the side to tackle the roos in round 1

does anybody know, ant probably does, just how serious this groin injury is???

will he be fit by round 1???

this isn't a supercoach question

I'd prefer Hocking in the team than Pev to be honest. Peverill won't be in our next priemership side and i trust that Hocking is good enough and ready for a full season.

I'd prefer Hocking in the team than Pev to be honest. Peverill won't be in our next priemership side and i trust that Hocking is good enough and ready for a full season.
That's a given.

Basically the same sort of player except Hocking has better footskills and is probably a bit quicker.

Hocking>Peverill>JJ

The same goes for Lonergan replacing JJ. I fully expect that by the end of the season that JJ and Pev will have been all but replaced by Hocking/Hislop/Lonergan.

The same goes for Lonergan replacing JJ. I fully expect that by the end of the season that JJ and Pev will have been all but replaced by Hocking/Hislop/Lonergan.
Agree aswell. If it came down to these two battling it out for one spot in the 22 it'd be interesting to see who would come out on top?

I suspect Hocking would.

Agree aswell. If it came down to these two battling it out for one spot in the 22 it'd be interesting to see who would come out on top?

I suspect Hocking would.
I would too but Lonergan has not put a foot wrong this preseason and most importantly has not got an injury cloud hanging over his head so he would be ahead for round 1. I hope they both make it as 90% of the really good midfields are made up of a large core of strong bodied midfielders (see Geelong, Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne, Port 2004, Brisbane 2001-4 etc.)

Hocking>Sammy>Pev>JJ

hopefully only one of these guys is in our best 22 as it would mean we would have a strong side. if two of them have to play lets hope its the two young fellas, and if there is a time when both pev and jj are in the side we'll know we are in trouble

Remove this Banner Ad

Back