Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst they kind of got it right by us finishing lower then them there players did them a diservice and stunk the place up all year haha

One of the most honest footballers we have, but he's not going to help us win a premiership

How did people rate his first year at North?

I thought he was solid without being outstanding. Had some good games but then there were others where he was practically invisible.

Was hoping he would have a bit more impact up the ground and in the midfield but really didn't get any opportunities to play there. I also think he is yet to display he real top end speed at AFL level. He doesn't tend to hold on to the footy long when he gets it, opting to kick quickly most of the time.

I thought his skills were really good, but some of his kicking was a little too cute. Sometimes not travelling the required 15m. I think he needs to back his kicking a little bit more and take on those 35+m kicks which are higher risk. I believe he has the skill to execute it.

I think for a half forward, who we recruited for his finishing skills, he needs to be getting more inside 50's, more goals and if he pushes into the midfield more possessions per game. He was only averaging 2.5 inside 50's per game which I don't think is good enough.

His defensive effort/ intensity needs to go up a notch as well if he is going to take his game to the next level.

Now that he has 12 months to settle in I think next year we should see his game develop a bit. However I'm yet to be convinced that he has a super high ceiling as an AFL footballer.

I thought he was solid without being outstanding. Had some good games but then there were others where he was practically invisible.

Was hoping he would have a bit more impact up the ground and in the midfield but really didn't get any opportunities to play there. I also think he is yet to display he real top end speed at AFL level. He doesn't tend to hold on to the footy long when he gets it, opting to kick quickly most of the time.

I thought his skills were really good, but some of his kicking was a little too cute. Sometimes not travelling the required 15m. I think he needs to back his kicking a little bit more and take on those 35+m kicks which are higher risk. I believe he has the skill to execute it.

I think for a half forward, who we recruited for his finishing skills, he needs to be getting more inside 50's, more goals and if he pushes into the midfield more possessions per game. He was only averaging 2.5 inside 50's per game which I don't think is good enough.

His defensive effort/ intensity needs to go up a notch as well if he is going to take his game to the next level.

Now that he has 12 months to settle in I think next year we should see his game develop a bit. However I'm yet to be convinced that he has a super high ceiling as an AFL footballer.
Yes, I thought there were many games where he went unnoticed, at least for significant portions of the game.

When he is involved, he's serviceable and promising. Something to work with, though I doubt he'll ever be a star. Zaharakis level sounds about right (he said without looking at stats).

Thought he was pretty good overall actually certainly worth the trade so far.

Is a rotation mid / half-forward not helped by the fact the midfield as a whole hemorrhaged badly this season.

Showed great poise and smarts at time like a less athletic Boomer. Surprised so many didn't rate his year.

Basically played at the lowest level possible to keep his spot. Would have had less games if we didn't have so many injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was pretty good overall actually certainly worth the trade so far.

Is a rotation mid / half-forward not helped by the fact the midfield as a whole hemorrhaged badly this season.

Showed great poise and smarts at time like a less athletic Boomer. Surprised so many didn't rate his year.
Agree with your first three sentences. I 'rate' him, just thought he needed to get involved more consistently. What he does, I like.

I just really want him to show more speed and be involved more linking up the ground.

For someone that has a good kick he too often looked to handball when he got the footy up the ground.

Stated slowly, improved throughout the year. Knows exactly where his place is within the club and plays just enough to get him a game each week. I honestly think he has a gear to go but will hold it when its time to pull the trigger. And thats about 2-3 years away from now.

One of the most honest footballers we have, but he's not going to help us win a premiership
I would disagree he was good better than most of our so called stars . He could be really good in 2 to 3 years .

I can't really make a call until I see him with a midfield and he gets to play predominately proactive and inside forward 50.

I was surprised he polled so low in the SBM.

He'd want to lift that rating.

I would disagree he was good better than most of our so called stars . He could be really good in 2 to 3 years .

I was a bit harsh,but I just can't see where his improvement will come from.

Strengths,
-Smart
- neat short kick
- agile
- big tank
- set shot

Weakness
- Size
- No explosive pace
- no penetration in kicks
- contested ball
- marking
- low possession count

I just don't see him as someone who will hurt the opposition. I would love for him to prove me wrong but I can't see where his improvement would come from? Even if he started to accumulate, he can't kick overs jam tin so that won't worry anyone. He's not going to be an inside mid because of his size. He's not going to last as a small forward because he doesn't put on enough defensive pressure and unlike Thomas, Simpkin or Garner, he can't make something from nothing.

Sorry Hrovat:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back