Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs a big-bodied mid in there to help him. Without any protection, he gets nullified like Cunners used to.

Thomas screwing things up has made our midfield less-potent offensively which means LDU becomes targeted. Until our young mids get games under them there won't be much of a change unfortunately.
it really is that simple. he needs to be #2 until he's 27.

I don't know, but it's possible that Luke might have said that he's not ready to take on a leadership role

From memory, Daniel Wells was never in the leadership group but was arguably our best player when he was in his mid 20s.

I see LDU as a similarly low key, reserved personality type whose sometimes laconic style comes across as laziness, not unlike the characterisations of Wellsy.

Similar to Wells, I’d also like to think he is equally loyal* (albeit may have been easier for Wellsy to stay given we were often winning games of footy).

* yes, Wellsy eventually ended up moving to Collingwood who offered him three years, while we offered him two to send him off to retirement.

From memory, Daniel Wells was never in the leadership group but was arguably our best player when he was in his mid 20s.

I see LDU as a similarly low key, reserved personality type whose sometimes laconic style comes across as laziness, not unlike the characterisations of Wellsy.

Similar to Wells, I’d also like to think he is equally loyal* (albeit may have been easier for Wellsy to stay given we were often winning games of footy).

* yes, Wellsy eventually ended up moving to Collingwood who offered him three years, while we offered him two to send him off to retirement.

Im convinced he is going and i am hoping he is going because of the following reason.

1) He is in an awkard age of 24 in that by the time we become good, he will be 30.
2) His best years are going to be bottom placed.
3) He will get same huge deal at here or anywhere else.
4) We can get a very high pick for him who we could use to trade/split/draft outright.
5) He has reached his ceiling in that he has been playing self presevation footyball for the last 4 years.
6) He has no real comparable pairing from similar time of similar stature.
7) He does not have the mental fortitude of a player of his experience level.

^^^^

Tired In Trouble GIF by Jay Sprogell

Im convinced he is going and i am hoping he is going because of the following reason.

1) He is in an awkard age of 24 in that by the time we become good, he will be 30.
2) His best years are going to be bottom placed.
3) He will get same huge deal at here or anywhere else.
4) We can get a very high pick for him who we could use to trade/split/draft outright.
5) He has reached his ceiling in that he has been playing self presevation footyball for the last 4 years.
6) He has no real comparable pairing from similar time of similar stature.
7) He does not have the mental fortitude of a player of his experience level.
Without a focus on actually having some good senior players in the 25-30 age bracket we are just going to continue as we are...

hard to imagine a bloke as reserved and shy as LDU going out to a new club for a few extra cents.
so long as we don't low ball him i think he stays, and i hope so too.
Could be more for a fresh start, more support and less pressure.

Hate to suggest it but Melbourne could bring him in to run tandem with Petracca and he'd know he's got serious firepower around to let him do his thing.

Hate to suggest it but Melbourne could bring him in to run tandem with Petracca and he'd know he's got serious firepower around to let him do his thing.
Put him in any side with one experienced defensive midfielder, they’ll win the flag.

Put him in any side with one experienced defensive midfielder, they’ll win the flag.
What's scary is every side in the league will consider him.

Any top 8 side can find a place for him where he suddenly enjoys genuine ballwinners feeding him, defensive mids covering him and cohesive forward lines presenting to him.

Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney etc.

World is his oyster. I doubt very much it'll be a cash based call.

We'd want to get our house in order or enjoy a 2026 full of "magoo" type posts as LDU plays in front of winning crowds and quickly forgets us.

Big club massive contract might just be more pressure on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so why can't we get bigger body to play next him. it was stupid to make him play as the main man at only 24

Imagine the early draft pick~promising youngster we could get for him.
Not to mention finding somebody as committed as him.

I'm a big NBA fan so I do enjoy the trade asset acquisition angle of turning a star player leaving into draft assets.
It just doesn't seem to work as well in footy for some reason. It seems to be more hit and miss in the top 20.
Take the Tim Kelly trade, no real great players in return for the Cats. Picks outside the top 10 perhaps miss more.

Not to mention finding somebody as committed as him.

I'm a big NBA fan so I do enjoy the trade asset acquisition angle of turning a star player leaving into draft assets.
It just doesn't seem to work as well in footy for some reason. It seems to be more hit and miss in the top 20.
Take the Tim Kelly trade, no real great players in return for the Cats. Picks outside the top 10 perhaps miss more.
I feel like it has more power in the NBA because it really does only take 1 player to turn a team around when it comes to basketball.

What's scary is every side in the league will consider him.

Any top 8 side can find a place for him where he suddenly enjoys genuine ballwinners feeding him, defensive mids covering him and cohesive forward lines presenting to him.

Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney etc.

World is his oyster. I doubt very much it'll be a cash based call.

We'd want to get our house in order or enjoy a 2026 full of "magoo" type posts as LDU plays in front of winning crowds and quickly forgets us.
He's getting paid wherever he goes. Just might not be within the salary cap at some clubs.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We have to keep him this year unless the offer is historic.

We also have to get an Ollie Wines type to put next to him, along with drafting Smillie.

Give him a year in the side with adequate support around him and we start looking better.

Without a focus on actually having some good senior players in the 25-30 age bracket we are just going to continue as we are...

It's about getting the senior at the same time.

LDU is the only one of his stature at that age and that's the problem. He will be too old when the next batch come of age.

Our 2022 recruit will be the core that we are building so in some ways, ldu is surplus. Let him go, we get another top 4 pick for whatever purposes, perhaps if all our cards are aligned, we could trade that for a A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back