A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow does this have anything to do with what happen earlier in the season?

I doubt it. With talk of a new owner coming in, maybe he saw the writing on the wall. I also heard before the end of the season that he agreed to a clause in his contract that if we didn't play finals then he would be sacked.

Just in case you were wondering how ****ed up Australian courts are... Bucketman gets 3 months jail and immediately release on bail to appeal.

No balls you gutless cowards. Why sign a contract if you have no intention on seeing it out. This was meant to be a festival of football.... Deliver on your promises.
Danny doesn't care - he's out of here.

Though, I'd say they'll still have an alternative arrangement, rather than the Grand Final in Sydney. So, like a Magic Round.

I guess we'll see what happens from here, hey?

No balls you gutless cowards. Why sign a contract if you have no intention on seeing it out. This was meant to be a festival of football.... Deliver on your promises.

The contract is still valid with NSW. Except now there will be a magic round in Sydney for Women's & Men's A League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today, we are excited to announce, together with the A-Leagues, a brand new ‘Unite Round’.

In partnership with the NSW Government and Destination NSW (DNSW) the A-Leagues will play all 12 Isuzu UTE A-League Men and Liberty A-League Women matches in Sydney between Friday January 12 and Sunday January 14, 2024.

This makes us the first league to celebrate a full men’s and women’s round in a single city.

The ‘Unite Round’ is being introduced for this season (2023-24) and next season (2024-25).

This also means that, starting this season, the hosting rights for the Grand Final will revert to the traditional system, with the highest ranked Semi Final winner playing host.

During ‘Unite Round’, a range of double header matches will be hosted at Allianz Stadium, CommBank Stadium and Leichhardt Oval, and grassroots tournaments for junior boys and girls will take place at venues across Sydney. A live site at Moore Park will also feature a fan park and viewing party for the AFC Asian Cup match in Qatar between Australia and India on Saturday 13 January at 10:30pm AEDT.

For the Isuzu UTE A-League Men, ‘Unite Round’ will be an additional round - making it a 27-game regular season and the existing Round 12 fixtures have been moved to new midweek dates. For the Liberty A-League Women, ‘Unite Round’ will use the existing Round 12 fixtures, keeping the season as a 22-game regular season.

Today, we are excited to announce, together with the A-Leagues, a brand new ‘Unite Round’.

In partnership with the NSW Government and Destination NSW (DNSW) the A-Leagues will play all 12 Isuzu UTE A-League Men and Liberty A-League Women matches in Sydney between Friday January 12 and Sunday January 14, 2024.

This makes us the first league to celebrate a full men’s and women’s round in a single city.

The ‘Unite Round’ is being introduced for this season (2023-24) and next season (2024-25).

This also means that, starting this season, the hosting rights for the Grand Final will revert to the traditional system, with the highest ranked Semi Final winner playing host.

During ‘Unite Round’, a range of double header matches will be hosted at Allianz Stadium, CommBank Stadium and Leichhardt Oval, and grassroots tournaments for junior boys and girls will take place at venues across Sydney. A live site at Moore Park will also feature a fan park and viewing party for the AFC Asian Cup match in Qatar between Australia and India on Saturday 13 January at 10:30pm AEDT.

For the Isuzu UTE A-League Men, ‘Unite Round’ will be an additional round - making it a 27-game regular season and the existing Round 12 fixtures have been moved to new midweek dates. For the Liberty A-League Women, ‘Unite Round’ will use the existing Round 12 fixtures, keeping the season as a 22-game regular season.

That's smokin'. So hyped for this weekend!

Have to say, how good have these grounds that were used in the Womens world cup look? I noticed it for the finals of the NRL at Lang Park in Brisbane and Olympic Stadium in Sydney. Carpet like and balls were bouncing over players heads.

I really thought once the world cup was done, aussie ground keepers would revert back to ride-on mowers and all the other short cuts they're renowned for here. Understandable for AFL venues as there is a lot of real estate to look after, but no excuse for the rectangular fields. All the european know how of synthetic weaves among the new natural turf, actually using those pedestrian mowers FIFA left behind as a legacy of the tournament, etc. The standard is far and away above the normal Aussie prep. I think each of the 10 venues got 4 of those mowers too. SFS, Olympic Stadium, Lang Park (although roar will play a bit at ballymore), swan st, Perth Oval, Hindmarsh, and Wellington all benefit from it.

I've got a Podcast up and running and had the pleasure of chatting with Adam Santarossa who is one of the talented young callers coming through the ranks in the football space. He currently works for ESPN.

I've clipped out one of the segments where we discuss the growth of not only women's sport, but women's football and I thought it may be of interest.

I've provided a short clip of one of the key grabs and then links to the full clip across multiple platforms 😊

📟SPOTIFY -

📟iTUNES - https://shorturl.at/ehFKW

📟AMAZON - https://tinyurl.com/ycyndzwp

📟iHEART - Play by Pod - Episode 3 - Success of Women's Sport & Soccer - Play by Pod | iHeart

📺YOUTUBE -

Who didn’t see this coming?

two coaches sacked already after round three A-League is getting ruthless with its coaches.

Very true.
Why let them have a whole pre season, recruit to their needs and then sack a coach after 2 or 3 games.
Doesn’t give the incoming manager any time to settle or implement his own style or recruitment.

Very true.
Why let them have a whole pre season, recruit to their needs and then sack a coach after 2 or 3 games.
Doesn’t give the incoming manager any time to settle or implement his own style or recruitment.
Talay knows the playbook - he'll fit in fine.

This was always the plan Corica was just in the way. They should have had the balls and done it end of last season.

Yeah probably a fair point.

Corica is a club legend of Sydney FC but probably ran his race at the Smurfs.

Not sold on Talay being the right fit for Sydney tbh but I guess time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back