News A rectangular stadium for Adelaide ?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a couple of videos of the Frankfurt stadium which Dario Fontanarosa said Adelaide United would build one like it back in 2008. The first one is an official stadium video showing just how the retractable roof works. The structure that drops down to let out the material that makes the retractable roof is actually the 4 big TV screens.

This one is the whole stadium experience

The Toronto 2008 Olympics bid was very impressive and finished 2nd to Beijing, by a fair margin but that was politics rather than quality of the bid. They were going to develop the Toronto Waterfront use the land around Toronto Island/Docks and build several sports stadiums there as well as the village and the rowing and canoeing was to use the existing ship canal/channel which meant you could have tens of thousands of spectators either side watch as there would be a few bridges and it was to be free and 15 minute walk from City Hall. They also would use Ontario Place. there were going to be 17 sporting of the 35 venues needed (2 of the 35 were the village and media centre) were right on the water, or just back from it like the Air Canada Centre. 6kms apart and 85% of the athletes would be competing at these 17 venues. The others were 5 soccer venues and 11 around greater Toronto or other cities for the sports that are usually a long way from the main action ie, equestrian, mountain biking, softball, shooting, and some indoor sports arenas that had the minor round preliminary games ie basketball, volleyball, boxing etc.

Having lived in Toronto I was most impressed by it all and how tight the venues were to downtown. In some of the reading I noted the head of the bid said this would be a once in a life time opportunity to build these sports centres so close to the downtown area, as some of the land maybe sold in the future. Canoogs do you know if these areas, as per image below, especially down by the docks have been sold off in the Toronto boom years of 2006-13??

I reckon Adelaide would struggle to produce such a compact Commonwealth Games let alone Olympic Games. Canoogs send me a PM when you get back and we can catch up at the GDV before or after a game.

waterfront_lrg.gif
The area by the Rogers Centre has been mostly developed with condos, so that's the area with the biggest challenges now. One of the big items of discussion is the potential removal of the Gardiner, which could open up more space for a potential future site. Council voted last year to bring the elevated structure down to a boulevard between Jarvis and the DVP, which is the east end of that map. The lands to the east are still relatively underdeveloped, although the TTC have recently opened a new facility for the new model LRVs a little to the east of that square.

The Pan Ams used a lot of the space near the Exhibition Place, and the Brewery District. They were far more spread out than that previous bid though. If Toronto did bid again for the Olympics, that would be my bet on how it would function. The swimming was in Scarborough, cycling in Milton, rowing in St. Catherines, so not exactly close together!

This is a couple of videos of the Frankfurt stadium which Dario Fontanarosa said Adelaide United would build one like it back in 2008. The first one is an official stadium video showing just how the retractable roof works. The structure that drops down to let out the material that makes the retractable roof is actually the 4 big TV screens.

That is an epic roof... We need that on our new stadium when it is built! I also like the basketball style screens in the centre of the field, although wonder if the screens are big enough to be seen properly?

BC Place retractable roof...

In a year when Adelaide United won the whole A-League they still only averaged 11,287 people per home game. For point of reference that is actually less then the A-League inaugural season. In ten years they've not 'grown the pie' at all. Hindmarsh Stadium is perfectly adequate. It would be cheaper to just put a roof on top of that if that's what we are after.

I had to play soccer for a year in about 1982 because Dad was alarmed at how 'competitive' the local footy scene was in Whyalla (truth was I was a dumb and unco-ordinated kid with no talent) and back then soccerheads were boasting about how they would overtake AFL by 2000. They still talk like that. It's still not happening.

BC Place retractable roof...

In a year when Adelaide United won the whole A-League they still only averaged 11,287 people per home game. For point of reference that is actually less then the A-League inaugural season. In ten years they've not 'grown the pie' at all. Hindmarsh Stadium is perfectly adequate. It would be cheaper to just put a roof on top of that if that's what we are after.

I had to play soccer for a year in about 1982 because Dad was alarmed at how 'competitive' the local footy scene was in Whyalla (truth was I was a dumb and unco-ordinated kid with no talent) and back then soccerheads were boasting about how they would overtake AFL by 2000. They still talk like that. It's still not happening.

What they need to do is put grandstand roofs on the 3 other stands. When its 33 to 42 degrees in Adelaide in the middle of the summer at 3-4pm on a Sunday arvo game, it can be tough to handle especially for young kids. I went to a few united games with a mate who has had season tickets since day 1 of the A league, between 2011 and 2014 seasons, he takes his kids, their mates and nephews and nieces all now around 12, and there are a s**t load of kids who go and I'm talking all the age groups, ie 8-11, 12-15 and 16-19 age groups.

They need to fill in the corners with stands, make the northern and southern ends and eastern stand 3 tiered and put roofs on them ie identical to the western stand and then you would have a great boutique 22-25,000 seater with enough shade for those stinking hot days in summer. Unfortunately you wont get the Socceroos or the big euro teams come out for those games so that's why AO is needed, but AO isnt great when you have a hard cricket pitch take up so much of the ground during the cricket period of 8 October to 14 March.

This overhead shot gives you a good idea of what I have been trying to say. They actually need to pinch some of Manton Street to make a complete rectangle. You would make part of Manton St go underground for filling in that NE corner and making the eastern stand 3 tiers. Which then begs the question if you are going to spend the money doing that does it make more sense to build a purpose built one on a green fields site and sell the land for apartments etc to fund the new oval.

hindmarsh-stadium1.jpg

CoopersStadiumWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Manipulating data from these 2 sites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Adelaide_United_FC_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_A-League

Total attendance 146,736
Games 13 home and away season
Average 11,287
Highest - Adelaide Oval 19,079 v Melbourne Victory
Lowest - Hindmarsh 6,205
Hindmarsh only = 127,657 divide by 12 = 10,638
Members 2015-16 Adelaide United 8,720

games less than 8,270.. 1 6,205 v Perth Glory Rd 9 after Adelaide were bottom 0 wins 3 draws and 5 losses (inc 5 losses of last 6)
games 8,270 to 9,999... 3
games 10,000 to 11,999 5
games 12,000 to 13,999 2
games 14,000+........... 1 highest 14,274 v Melbourne City Rd 23 - second last home game last was Rd 25 Central Coast 10,269

Semi final v Melbourne City 15,489
other games FFA Cup in August v Sydney FC 5,066 - season starts early October. AFC Champions League Shandong in February 8,487

Looks like the real answer is for AU to sell 14,000+ memberships/season tickets to get traction for push for a new stadium. Will be interesting to see how many of the 40,000 AU supporters that turned up for the GF - given the Wanderers had 10,000 there as per media reports - buy an AU season ticket.

Last edited:
One day hopefully AO#2 becomes a rectangular ground, and Memorial Drive becomes an indoor multi purpose stadium for the 36ers, Thunderbirds and Tennis SA. That would give our states 6 major teams a great precinct to enjoy the benefits of public transport, city options etc.

I think that argument doesn't really work... when all parties reached an agreement for Adelaide Oval in 2011, Ports home crowds had dropped by about 14k a game since our first year in the AFL, and the crows home crowds had dropped by around 5k since their inception, so neither side had 'grown the pie' either but were still part of a move to Adelaide Oval and a $500m investment. Once both teams were at a modern centralised venue, their crowds have sky rocketed and I would expect similar to happen with Adelaide United should they move to a stadium next to AO.

In the last 3 season, games at AO have averaged 28,703 for Adelaide United (Excluding the matches against Maliga and Liverpool), and lets be honest, AO is a s**t stadium to watch soccer at. Should they have a 30-35k seat rectangular stadium next to AO, they will average 25-30k a year guaranteed.

Watching that video and seeing the pitch rise to become the roof reminds me of the retractable lights for Adelaide Oval. Never been done before and the engineers couldn't make it work. The video doesn't show everything but it highlights enough potemtial problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back