A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

I would agree with the concept that both extremes don't care ... except in the same way the a Carlton/Collingwood fan takes being hated by the other people as a validation of their worth...

Your Religious Right (as opposed to religious people) and your Left (not sure what adjective to use there) both have a hankering to make society into their image ... although the Right mostly I suspect feel that they are in a losing battle and the more fundamental end of them pretty much figure they will do their best until the Rapture hits and they get to eject out and Jesus/God gets to clean up the inevitable mess. The left, whose religious sensibilities are distinctly more secular/materialist, tend feel they are on the right-side-of-history (which is part of the religion of progress mythology of course) and aim for an earthly utopia.

Every dream of religious rescue has thus far been in vain (especially the ones that come with dates attached to them!)
Every dream of societal utopia that has been put into practice on a large scale has devolved quickly into tyranny or anarchy.

Where I do find a difference is that your average right-ish Christian type, while convinced that they are right and you are wrong, is happy to let you continue to think differently ... and to pay the consequences later. Your average left-ish proto-utopian insists on unity and thinking the wrong things is not allowed (thought-crime anyone).

Looking at the current debate on whether gender matters (aka the marriage equality survey) there is a definite framing from one side that theirs is the only legitimate option and that anyone who disagrees is not just being disagreeable but hateful, immoral, reactionary, un-progressive and, of course, just wrong.

The republican referendum did not put to rest that issue (and yes I know it was a poisoned chalice) and I don't for a minute think that a 'no' will do anything but make the activists change their tactics and try some other means ... it is just what all evangelist religions do.
I think progressives almost always win in the long run. Haven't seen too many lately arguing over issues Thomas Becket was willing to die for.

Being predominantly made up of people I think both sides behave pretty similarly. Conservatives are just scared liberals and vice versa. Most of them sincerely believe their side is right, most have little to no empathy for, or understanding of, their opponent's arguments and motivations. Most just cheer on each issue like they are supporting their football team.

I'd add Bernie Sanders to the Trump and Hanson examples too. Whether it is Trump's "drain the swamp" or Bernie Sanders talking about a literal "political revolution" and tapping into that Occupy Wall Street mentality, I think across almost the entire political spectrum there is an increasing number of people who are expressing a "**** it... burn it all down and start over" sentiment.

The sad thing is that there is an absolute vacuum of genuine political leaders of vision who can seize that kind of opportunity. They people on the left and right just bang their heads against each other and all the action remains in the centre which is where all the real money and power is concentrated. Then we just see entire 4 year cycles of government fought over a postage stamp of policy ground (like a carbon tax or a construction watchdog) for our political entertainment and to give the illusion of a vibrant democracy.
Inequity approaching record levels, increasingly stressed and immobile middle class who feel ignored by the major parties.

Think there will likely be a really fundamental political recalibration, or some sort of global level disaster, or a combination of the two that will reset society.

There was some talk about NBN speeds on here.

Yesterday I moved into a house with NBN and using a speed test app on my iPad I was getting 11.5 megabits/second which was disappointing. I'll have to chase them up about it I think.

Yesterday I moved into a house with NBN and using a speed test app on my iPad I was getting 11.5 megabits/second which was disappointing. I'll have to chase them up about it I think.
That's shocking, I'm on fiber to the node and then the old copper network (around 300 meters of copper) which drops out regularly and I get 10.9.

My son gets fiber to the home and he gets 100-105.

Depends what plan you're on. As Sizey alluded to you can get different speed categories. I've just been connected with a max 50Mbps plan, but I believe the base plans are 8-15 Mbps which may be in line with what you're receiving.

Depends what plan you're on. As Sizey alluded to you can get different speed categories. I've just been connected with a max 50Mbps plan, but I believe the base plans are 8-15 Mbps which may be in line with what you're receiving.

Should've said it was 25 mbps. With iinet.

I'll chase it up with them.

Most of the time it isn't actually the network, it's that the ISPs aren't buying enough CVC bandwidth and customers face major congestion even in off-peak times.

Most of the time it isn't actually the network, it's that the ISPs aren't buying enough CVC bandwidth and customers face major congestion even in off-peak times.

Apparently it's worse, ISPs are buying enough bandwidth but are deliberately misleading customers about just how much they are allotting per region. We need far greater regulation with just what ISPs are allowed to do with NBN bandwidth once purchased to stop people being unwittingly fleeced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting looking at the electorate splits. No real surprises, but a confirming graphic of the no vote split between the white collar ultra conservatives and the redneck hillbillies.
Let's see how long they take to make the change to law.

Credit to Terri Butler and Warren Entsch. Qld had a big ssm push from both sides of the house.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Terri is a national treasure. If she isn't Labor leader some time in the next 16 years I will be stunned.

Why?
It was a yes or no vote - no middle ground!
There would be a certain percentage of people who would not feel strongly enough about it either way.

Those wouldn't have sent back the form. There was no reason to send the form in if you weren't voting one way or another.

Why?
It was a yes or no vote - no middle ground!
There would be a certain percentage of people who would not feel strongly enough about it either way.

So 4 million people didn't feel strongly enough about it but bothered to send back a blank form?

I seriously doubt it, that's an extraordinarily high number, and presumably they would have been added to the informal vote tally.

Those wouldn't have sent back the form. There was no reason to send the form in if you weren't voting one way or another.
So 4 million people didn't feel strongly enough about it but bothered to send back a blank form?

I seriously doubt it, that's an extraordinarily high number.
Maybe through fear they might cop a fine. As they had the form sent to them and are on the electoral role.

Unless you weren't smart enough to understand the difficult voting process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back