Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Wylie has just been invited to trial for the Lions academy later this month.

He got B&F for his club Mt Gravatt (u18s) and came second in the Brisbane comp B&F.

Not bad for his second season of AFL. At 195cm and 100kg, Wylie has his 18 birthday, next year....

How did he go ?.

How did he go ?.

Hi mate. He didn't make the cut but a few weeks ago he was invited to train with the qld u18s side. As far as im aware he still is and is in contention for selection. Why he isn't in the Academy amazes me. What do you have to do??

He is playing 1st grade for Mt Gravatt seniors last I heard. Doing pretty well in that role. I heard it was the Lions that asked Mt Gravatt that he be tried in the seniors in the ruck.

I have a look at your link but couldn't find my quote.

I did actually google him, and it appears he is some sort of cult hero, to be 1st ruck in 1st grade at that age and carrying that load it seems a bit weird AFL QLD are not paying more attention, perhaps a year or 2 down south may be beneficial.

My link to your link got wiped by a mod, it appears to happen more and more frequently, perhaps some people think that SMH articles by sportswriters are unsuitable for big footy.

And BTW what i said, was pretty much what Roy Masters and other RL identities have stated, yet several posters have accused me of racism, yet no-one has accused them. :D

I did actually google him, and it appears he is some sort of cult hero, to be 1st ruck in 1st grade at that age and carrying that load it seems a bit weird AFL QLD are not paying more attention, perhaps a year or 2 down south may be beneficial.

My link to your link got wiped by a mod, it appears to happen more and more frequently, perhaps some people think that SMH articles by sportswriters are unsuitable for big footy.

And BTW what i said, was pretty much what Roy Masters and other RL identities have stated, yet several posters have accused me of racism, yet no-one has accused them. :D

Mate you cant make distinctions about race without getting slammed. The NRL brought in interchange just as a large migration of Polynesian families came to oz. The result was more big talented players available, who can have a rest at any time. Which effectively wiped out the opportunities for smaller players to ply their craft when bigger players got tired, and making the code boring, predictable, and brutal. I used to live and breathe RL, but now I don't give a shove.

Mate you cant make distinctions about race without getting slammed. The NRL brought in interchange just as a large migration of Polynesian families came to oz. The result was more big talented players available, who can have a rest at any time. Which effectively wiped out the opportunities for smaller players to ply their craft when bigger players got tired, and making the code boring, predictable, and brutal. I used to live and breathe RL, but now I don't give a shove.

I dont begrudge them any oppurtunity at all, to earn a living, set their family up etc , but when about 1% of the population is about 50% of the NRL playing roster, and that has happened in the last 15 years, then you would have to question the future viabilty of other ethnicities bothering to play, or more importantly for the games future letting their kids play.

I dont begrudge them any oppurtunity at all, to earn a living, set their family up etc , but when about 1% of the population is about 50% of the NRL playing roster, and that has happened in the last 15 years, then you would have to question the future viabilty of other ethnicities bothering to play, or more importantly for the games future letting their kids play.

That is right. I remember years ago the Kiwis were saying a lot of their kids were leaving Rugby because they couldn't compete with the bigger Island kids. Which is fine, as sport is about who is the best and winning etc. The kiwis really only have Rugby, RL and soccer. Here in oz there is an actual Aussie footy code that is bigger than Rugby or League. Parents and kids are streaming to it. RL is not like it used to be because of the rule changes. It doesn't reflect the national demographic as accurately as AFL does.

As you said, 1% of the population is represented on 60% of NRL lists, and in junior rep sides it may be as high as 80%. Parents want opportunity for their kids. There is less opportunity for the now than ever before, even though there are more teams. For example;

An NRL club may have say 30 players that will play 1st grade during the year. Times that by 16 teams and you get 480 players. 60% of those players will be made up of Island kids. Which leaves about 200 spots for the other 99% of the national average demographic.

In the AFL we have 18 teams. There are 45 players on lists per club (Roos said last night) That makes 810 positions available to the average demographic nation wide.

Where is the opportunity in Aussie footy? AFL.

Last edited:
An NRL club may have say 30 players that will play 1st grade during the year. Times that by 16 teams and you get 480 players. 60% of those players will be made up of Island kids. Which leaves about 200 spots for the other 99% of the national average demographic.

In the AFL we have 18 teams. There are 45 players on lists per club (Roos said last night) That makes 810 positions available to the average demographic nation wide.

Where is the opportunity in Aussie footy? AFL.

Most NRL clubs use approx 35 players a season. That's due to injures etc. Clubs going over that number tend to be at the bottom of the table.

That said, comparing the opportunity in AFL to the opportunity playing Rugby League/Union (Not just NRL), because playing this sport doesn't mean you can't play in ESL, or move over to Rugby Union. Plenty more opportunities playing either form of Rugby to make a career out of it and for much longer.

i think mt gravatt is in the lions den but i'll throw this one up anyway.

a kid called wiley buzza started playing AFL for the first time last season. just 16yo, he played 5 games for the local lockyer valley u16s side but was soon snapped up by the local Darling Downs Crows u18s side that went through undefeated in DIV 2 in 2012. wiley played all games once selected for the crows.

he is 6'5 (but hasnt been measured for 8 months) and was a rep player in RL and 4 other sports including swimming and basketball.

this season saw the DD crows disbanded. wiley has since signed with Mt Gravatt as its the closest club to his home town of Gatton. he still has 2 seasons of u18s in front of him...

his big mop of curly hair betrays the fact that he is a hard young kid in the mould of barry hall. his father was a rep RL player as a senior, and his mother was a state basketballer..his two sisters are state netballers.

already he bench presses more than his father ever could, and at a recent bonding session with the opens side he more than held his own sparring against many of the opens players even when it got willing. his dad being a former boxer did show wiley the basics as a kid, which would have helped.

wiley now loves AFL and should have a stellar year this season.

Wylie plays his 1st game for the QLD u18s side this weekend. WooHoo!!

Wylie plays his 1st game for the QLD u18s side this weekend. WooHoo!!

You don't have to be a AFL recruiter to spot talent, and it comes in many forms, many early developers don't end up making the cut, kids that look like men at 12,13 and 14 often fall by the wayside, and the lanky skinny kids who don't develop untill later may make it.

But sometimes a kid can look like a man from a very early age but carry that strength into playing against men, this kid sounds like he might be one of those.

Playing first ruck at 16,17 in a open mens team is no small feat, particuarly if the standard is not great and older blokes are using any means fair and foul to slow a young fella down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

many early developers don't end up making the cut, kids that look like men at 12,13 and 14 often fall by the wayside,

I know that is a popular theory, but ive never seen it happen.

In fact, I read a study once covering just that subject. It stated that kids who had an athletic advantage rarely ever lost it. What brings most of them back to the pack is lack of character, lack of motivation, failure to train consistently, environmental issues (family, drugs, alcohol etc) etc. When they are of the ages you suggest they can get by with natural talent. As they get older the equation changes and they must also have the other attributes.

We have three Suns Academy boys in the U16 QLD team. :)

926817_1439986312952242_1427380245_n.jpg

Looking towards 2015 Suns Acadamy
We any chance of drafting a local product in 2015?
Thought we were half a chance to rookie Tyler Cornish
I think darcy task is a chance this year.
Don't think there are any stand out candidates for next year. Got a few for 2016 and 2017 though, I think.

There is an article in the Gold Coast Bulletin today about academy players Darcy Trask and Robert Blood. They are both going to continue playing for the Southport Sharks in 2015 and believe they have what it takes to be drafted as 19 year olds. It also says they will remain in the SUNS academy in 2015 and play as overage players for Queensland at the national championships.

I think these kids should move to a stronger league and stand out against better opposition if they want to get drafted as a 19 y.o

I know that is a popular theory, but ive never seen it happen.

In fact, I read a study once covering just that subject. It stated that kids who had an athletic advantage rarely ever lost it. What brings most of them back to the pack is lack of character, lack of motivation, failure to train consistently, environmental issues (family, drugs, alcohol etc) etc. When they are of the ages you suggest they can get by with natural talent. As they get older the equation changes and they must also have the other attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back