ACL Injuries | Why I Think It's Easy to Miss the Point. (ft. Nic Naitanui)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fascinating stuff. Do these theories get any traction in medicine etc?
It's just a reflection of what I find clinically as a Physio with ACLs. They're not the accidental injury many think they are. Just thought it was a great example of the mechanics many have prior to injuring an ACL.

Squats are not the answer to the majority of ACLs and indeed over doing them will just make it more likely. If you remember morabito he had legs like tree trunks. Never worked.
Having huge legs are a detriment yes, but you do need some muscle on them to protect against injury as the muscle will absorb the pressure instead of the joints, cartilage and ligaments.

Squats are not the answer to the majority of ACLs and indeed over doing them will just make it more likely. If you remember morabito he had legs like tree trunks. Never worked.

Respectfully, technically neither of these statements are true. Squats are not the sole answer to ACLs but they are hugely important to reinforce good leg mechanics. The thing that gets glossed over consistently is the WAY someone squats. Morabito's knees were highly unlikely to have failed because his legs were too big. Clinically, it has everything to do with the path the knee takes when moving. The main reason everyone should practice squatting isn't to get big, strong legs (although it is a positive side effect), its to squat to practice proper human movement. If you don't, your ability to buffer awkward landing or abrupt turning is diminished, opening you up for something like an ACL injury.

I think genetics is an underrated factor in increasing your chance of an ACL injury. I have torn mine twice, my twin brother once and father once.

I agree with you mate. I'd be very interested to see how you and your family move. You can't deny your family history, but it'd be interesting to see how well you guys move to figure out how much was essentially bad luck and how much could be prevented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back