Why the inconsistency?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are some teams CAPITALISED?

Why do some have a mascot eg “Sydney Swans”, and some don’t eg “Carlton”

This is peak idiocy

View attachment 1923943
It’s peak idiocy that there is even a published ladder when 60% of the teams haven’t even played yet. What a s**t weekend to start the season. There’s not even any footy on tomorrow.

It’s peak idiocy that there is even a published ladder when 60% of the teams haven’t even played yet. What a s**t weekend to start the season. There’s not even any footy on tomorrow.

No it isn't. The ladder is always live, even halfway through a normal round we can all go on the AFL website and see the current ladder, even if there are 3 games on later that day.

When did we become an 8 team comp?
And how do teams have points before Round 1?
Why doesn’t BF have a breathalyser lock?

Peak idiocy.

Come on mate, if this site required a breathalyser there'd be only 3 posts a day.

No it isn't. The ladder is always live, even halfway through a normal round we can all go on the AFL website and see the current ladder, even if there are 3 games on later that day.

The ladder will be skewed now by 8 teams playing one more game than the other 10 teams.

This zero round is a nonsense, can you imagine the EPL pulling this sort of stunt to start their season?

Yeah but the season hasn’t started yet. Round 1 is next week after all.
And to be fair, some of the players on the losing teams have been going on all pre season about being ready for round 1, which is why they weren’t ready for round zero.

And the winning teams have got 1 win on the board before round 1, which is always good.

The only explanation I can think of is that the AFL is going to stih without Big Ears?

Or clubs with premierships lose their big letters and monikers?

It's all very distressing though.

I'm off to church.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer is marketing w***ers

Every club employs a different group of marketing w***ers who advise the club to be branded differently

The teams that existed before marketing w***ers really took hold generally have no team moniker in the branding

Exceptions being the Bulldogs who changed brand from Footscray to Western Bulldogs in the marketing w***er era and Geelong for good knows why, they just decided one day that instead of being known as the GFC they would hop aboard the marketing w***er train and brand everything Geelong Cats instead

Don't know what the capitalisation is about. You go to the ladder on the AFL website on desktop and there is no capitals. Some sort of bug I'd say.

Other than that it's branding. The clubs choose how they themselves are referred to.

Once upon a time every club was officially "Xxxxxx Football Club" or "Xxxxxx" for short.

Plenty of clubs have stuck with that, while others have changed their "official" names for branding.

For the newer clubs, a lot of it is to do with having a unique brand. The original clubs have been established for over 100 years and their suburb / city names are bywords for the footy club, while the newer clubs don't have that recognition.

For example... google "Collingwood" or "Essendon" and all the top search results will be about the football club.

Google "Gold Coast" and it won't be about the footy club... it'll be about the city.

So they are strict on constantly branding themselves as "Gold Coast Suns". It's a unique name and term which will only ever refer to them. That's one of the basic cornerstones of branding. When somebody hears or sees the name in isolation, they should immediately know that it refers to you. There should be no confusion.

"Do you like the Gold Coast?" Huh

"Do you like the Gold Coast Suns?" Very clear

That's led a lot of clubs to include the "nickname" in their official brands.

Gold Coast Suns. Sydney Swans. Adelaide Crows. West Coast Eagles.

Brisbane Lions is partly that (like Brisbane Bears was), but also to include the Fitzroy aspect in the brand.

Port Adelaide have done the reverse - they've done a hell of a lot of work around building that "historic" brand on the national stage over the past 10-15 years - it was a shift from when they first entered in the AFL, to the "one club" thing they push now. They hate that they're called the Power and they have all but abandoned it. WE ARE PORT ADELAIDE.

"GWS" is a bit of a nothing name. "Greater Western Sydney" is an appalling name for a club, I still actually can't believe they called it that. It's a mouthful and sounds like a local council. No surprise they've branded as GWS Giants. It works.

Geelong officially rebranded to Geelong Cats about a decade ago. Some marketing dude's idea. I remember reading it was because GFC had become the Global Financial Crisis. I don't know if that's true, but that's what happened.

Footscray rebranded to Western Bulldogs. I guess maybe "Western Melbourne" or something was another option, but they went with Western Bulldogs.

North Melbourne changed to Kangaroos, which was massively misguided - Kangaroos isn't a good brand name, it could simply mean the animal or something else. They wisely went back to North Melbourne.

When did we become an 8 team comp?
And how do teams have points before Round 1?
Why doesn’t BF have a breathalyser lock?

Peak idiocy.
#VICBIAS that Collingwood and Richmond aren't rightfully put in 17th and 18th place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back