The medias unhealthy obsession with Nic Naitanui

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Has anything like this ever been seen before in regards to a AFL footballer?

This is legit the leading number 1 story for PerthNow. Nic Naitanui had a costume party, Someone on the radio mentioned that The West Australian has posted 47 articles in the last 60 days about Naitanui including things like him having a baby, his babys first day at the beach, his babys first trip to a winery, his babys first trip in a car, how Naitanui wishes his mum could have met his baby with zero quotes (so a opinion piece on what Naitanui might be thinking)

I could get this obsession if he was say the Michael Jordan of the AFL but the bloke isnt even in Eagles top 5 players at present, wont be a top 10 Eagle of all time, his personality while nice is fairly subdued.

So why the obsession? Is being black and having dreadlocks all that is to it? I feel like someone handpicked the guy to be a poster boy and have continued with it even when it is now no longer justified. The whole practice is weird to me and as a Eagles fan, I find it pretty embarassing to watch.

This is legit the leading number 1 story for PerthNow. Nic Naitanui had a costume party, Someone on the radio mentioned that The West Australian has posted 47 articles in the last 60 days about Naitanui including things like him having a baby, his babys first day at the beach, his babys first trip to a winery, his babys first trip in a car, how Naitanui wishes his mum could have met his baby with zero quotes (so a opinion piece on what Naitanui might be thinking)

I could get this obsession if he was say the Michael Jordan of the AFL but the bloke isnt even in Eagles top 5 players at present, wont be a top 10 Eagle of all time, his personality while nice is fairly subdued.

So why the obsession? Is being black and having dreadlocks all that is to it? I feel like someone handpicked the guy to be a poster boy and have continued with it even when it is now no longer justified. The whole practice is weird to me and as a Eagles fan, I find it pretty embarassing to watch.
A fit Naitanui is still easily amongst our top 5 players. He struggled to get on the park last year but he was one of the most impactful players in the competition in 2021.

For him to continually be the lead story for many of the day's stories, there must be people lapping it up.

I'll vomit if I see another story about his kid. FMD.

For him to continually be the lead story for many of the day's stories, there must be people lapping it up.

I'll vomit if I see another story about his kid. FMD.

People must be reading it but who/why is generally confusing to me

I mean are Docker fans reading it too? They must be as they have a big supporter base etc. Why are Docker fans reading this crap? Eagles fans is barely understandable but a Docker fan?

It's just how the WA media rolls, legit you could see a soccer game where Glory lost 6-1 and the media would probably report that 1 goal scored without mentioning the rest. Fun if from WA, dangerous if we need to rely on our media for anything important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pls2zkemfo281.png

It's a slow news week again.

On GF eve a couple years ago he rocked up at The Worker's Club in Fitzroy where the place was packed with mostly pub footballers who'd just had their last game of the season - he would have been the most conspicuous person I've ever seen in a room - a foot taller than everyone, a pub full of drunk Melb hipsters all noticing him walk in at the same time and ofcourse way too many asking for photos - lasted about 20 mins before leaving with whoever brought him there -

I think it’s only in the west.
I think it’s the west media’s close affiliation with eagles that’s the issue.
Don’t need to free willie now.
BA99FD53-78B6-4A64-A644-19532DC881EA.jpeg
Since Freo’s no dickhead policy they are struggling to find a story about the dockers.
8EA0CEB0-B008-46B7-B9E5-87A44394B436.jpeg
They still want to write eagles proper-gander but can’t use success, youth or a bright future at the moment.
When in doubt Nic Nat

I know there’s a most over rated thread but natanuis career is definitely headlining that.

Great at his best and adds so much but lucky to have had 20 percent of his career close to his best.

I think it’s only in the west.
I think it’s the west media’s close affiliation with eagles that’s the issue.
Don’t need to free willie now.
View attachment 1580613
Since Freo’s no dickhead policy they are struggling to find a story about the dockers.
View attachment 1580614
They still want to write eagles proper-gander but can’t use success, youth or a bright future at the moment.
When in doubt Nic Nat
There’s never a shortage of Fyfe fluff pieces to be fair.

Luke Jackson sucking on a Bintang in his jocks was headlining the news yesterday.

There’s never a shortage of Fyfe fluff pieces to be fair.

Luke Jackson sucking on a Bintang in his jocks was headlining the news yesterday.
Fyfe didn’t get the cover after a second Brownlow( even the herald sun gave him a stand alone front cover)

Your second point reiterates what I said.
He wouldn’t of got a mention if he spent new year in the children’s hospital helping kids but the new big money recruit drinking beers in Bali near naked always will get a run.

This is no slight on the westcoast eagles.
Most of the time it’s media chasing money, with its audience being majority eagles supporters it’s no surprise.
SA media pro crows
Qld media pro broncos
And herald sun jumping on the back of the bombers

Fyfe didn’t get the cover after a second Brownlow( even the herald sun gave him a stand alone front cover)

Your second point reiterates what I said.
He wouldn’t of got a mention if he spent new year in the children’s hospital helping kids but the new big money recruit drinking beers in Bali near naked always will get a run.

This is no slight on the westcoast eagles.
Most of the time it’s media chasing money, with its audience being majority eagles supporters it’s no surprise.
SA media pro crows
Qld media pro broncos
And herald sun jumping on the back of the bombers
You’ve had your happy snaps of Fyfe on holiday, Jackson wrestling on the beach, Christmas day with the Brayshaw’s ect.

You want to believe the media is out to get you.

You’ve had your happy snaps of Fyfe on holiday, Jackson wrestling on the beach, Christmas day with the Brayshaw’s ect.

You want to believe the media is out to get you.
I wouldn’t have seen them as I don’t live in WA, I never have and probably never will.
I don’t have 1 media subscription to my name.
I was only providing an opinion with factual images for context to a thread titled: media obsession with Nic Nat.

Aren’t threads for opinion or is it a simple yes/no system your looking for?

I wouldn’t have seen them as I don’t live in WA, I never have and probably never will.
I don’t have 1 media subscription to my name.
I was only providing an opinion with factual images for context to a thread titled: media obsession with Nic Nat.

Aren’t threads for opinion or is it a simple yes/no system your looking for?
Sure have an opinion but it doesnt carry much weight when you’re not even exposed to any of it.

Theres more balance to the media over here than just the whinging you read on the Fremantle board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back