Matthew Nicks - Where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

From the outside looking in, it feels like the Crows need a coach to come in who runs his own operation.

Ricciuto and the board seem to drink the kool-aid of the SA media, and want a yes-man that's not going to challenge that and just do what he's told.

I know they've lost their glamour over the last couple years...but they should be a juggernaut like West Coast, but it just never seems to get to that point on or off the field.

It's bloody hard to do, but they need to find the next Clarko or Scott who lays down the law a bit and brings their own team with them. Clear goal and direction without board intervention.

Blighty's the only one in their history who's had that style, cut the deadwood of the list and made the club his.

Everyone else has felt like a really good assistant coach masquerading as a head coach, because that's what the board appear to want (Outside of Walsh, R.I.P)

They're hardly alone, Essendon have had similar problems for years, and until recently Carlton, albeit the jury is still out if it's going to amount to anything.

It's just the reality when you've got way too many who think they know better than the guy who should be the brainstrust of the operation.
Clearly both a coaching AND development issue
How Raechelle and Rankine aren't their best two players is beyond me

Crows have certainly lost their mojo.

Lots of talent though - they’ll come good.

…Nicks extension will start to smell like an old fish head.

Adelaide first round picks:

2015: Wayne Milera
2016: Jordan Gallucci
2017: Darcy Fogarty
2018: Chayce Jones & Ned McHenry
2019: Fischer McAsey
2020: Riley Thilthorpe & Luke Pedlar & Brayden Cook
2021: Josh Rachele
2022: Max Michalanney

How does this club keep messing up their first round draft picks?

Yikes. I’ve heard a lot from Crows fans about their first round misses so I knew they weren’t great. Still to see them laid out one after the other like that makes for pretty damning reading

Not sure where the OP has been. A few in the media last week were questioning whether the crows had gone to early on extending Nick's.

To be a little fair to nicks, the drafting and trading team need more pressure on them. The amount of first round misses and the lack of drafting elite midfield talent is out of his hands.

The midfield group is poor without any young elite mids coming through.

Now wait for them to pay up for petty and Walsh this year and again neglect thier biggest weakness

Yea nicks truly is an average coach at best but he’s been totally shafted with the list he’s been provided with by the Adelaide recruiters.

That list of missed first rounders is diabolical (potentially league worst) and must make crom supporters 🤢 .

It’s bad enough reading on its own but when you consider some of the absolute guns who ve been drafted after the crows picks eg young , serong , Pickett after mcasey and butters after jones just couple howlers off top of my head it’s not hard to see why I think Adelaide need to reset/restump their rebuild.

you will not get anywhere in this league if you don’t have a better than average midfield (with a MINIMUM 2 Agraders and points of difference).

Especially when you continually have draft misses with first rounders like the crows do.
And when you have ####heads like Ricciouto in the way. I do feel for the Crow supporters a little as because of the ties this flog has in the media and his own Crow supporters preoccupied with what a great player he was (like Essendon's 'stand by Hird/Sheedy' d!ckheads). He just doesn't get the scrutiny he deserves and probably never will despite it being clear as day he needs to be tossed out the door and so do all his boys club mates.

And when you have ####heads like Ricciouto in the way. I do feel for the Crow supporters a little as because of the ties this flog has in the media and his own Crow supporters preoccupied with what a great player he was (like Essendon's 'stand by Hird/Sheedy' d!ckheads). He just doesn't get the scrutiny he deserves and probably never will despite it being clear as day he needs to be tossed out the door and so do all his boys club mates.
Definitely.*

The bloke time and again puts his ego ahead of the clubs best interests and you can see how damaging that can be to a clubs fortunes especially when they’re in such a consolidated position of power .

If the bloke had ANY semblance of humility he’d step aside and let someone else have a go but he’s never ever been too bright roo (but good at footy in a small footy state) so his ego has always far exceeded his capabilities when it comes to anything other than playing the game

*We’ve had a similar issue with Peter bell.
But the board last year finally looked to move him away to a much less impactful decision making position within the club

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back