Matthew Nicks - Where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Baffled as to why Nicks seems to have changed the game plan in the off season to one that completely goes against Adelaide’s strengths… they played with such dare and quick ball movement in the games I saw them do well in last season. Now more often than not they just seem to go slowly and then kick long up the line.

Doesn’t help having Laird, Crouch, Dawson and - until this week - Berry playing in the same midfield. Far too slow and getting badly beaten on the spread.
You sir have more nous than the ******* coach.

You sir have more nous than the ******* coach.
From the outside looking in, it feels like the Crows need a coach to come in who runs his own operation.

Ricciuto and the board seem to drink the kool-aid of the SA media, and want a yes-man that's not going to challenge that and just do what he's told.

I know they've lost their glamour over the last couple years...but they should be a juggernaut like West Coast, but it just never seems to get to that point on or off the field.

It's bloody hard to do, but they need to find the next Clarko or Scott who lays down the law a bit and brings their own team with them. Clear goal and direction without board intervention.

Blighty's the only one in their history who's had that style, cut the deadwood of the list and made the club his.

Everyone else has felt like a really good assistant coach masquerading as a head coach, because that's what the board appear to want (Outside of Walsh, R.I.P)

They're hardly alone, Essendon have had similar problems for years, and until recently Carlton, albeit the jury is still out if it's going to amount to anything.

It's just the reality when you've got way too many who think they know better than the guy who should be the brainstrust of the operation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be a little fair to nicks, the drafting and trading team need more pressure on them. The amount of first round misses and the lack of drafting elite midfield talent is out of his hands.

The midfield group is poor without any young elite mids coming through.

Now wait for them to pay up for petty and Walsh this year and again neglect thier biggest weakness

I asked this question (in comparison to Longmuir) in the coach sacking thread and was reliably informed ahead of the season that you don't have to win games (~34% over 4 years), just show a little improvement year on year and kick a lot of goals even if you lose.

Reckon most Crows supporters (and Cornes) were the only ones that thought the contract was a bad decision before the season started. You get a ridiculous amount of credit for being an attacking side/coach. The footy world will turn on him now they can't score.

Also agree their drafting is mid tier at best.

Baffled as to why Nicks seems to have changed the game plan in the off season to one that completely goes against Adelaide’s strengths… they played with such dare and quick ball movement in the games I saw them do well in last season. Now more often than not they just seem to go slowly and then kick long up the line.

Doesn’t help having Laird, Crouch, Dawson and - until this week - Berry playing in the same midfield. Far too slow and getting badly beaten on the spread.

I think a change was needed. They were literally the highest scoring team last year and didn't play finals - the defense wasn't good enough.

But it's either gone too far the other way or the players are confused/not used to the change. I agree it doesn't play to their strengths. Will be interesting to see if they improve significantly over the year.

Having best mates who are port fans family that are crows fans and growing up in SA.
True supporters of both camps care very much whether they like to admit it or not.
You reckon a characteristic of support is whether you care about the club down the road?

Talk about little brother syndrome.

Only losers sit around at the culmination of a failed season and go 'well one consolation is that the team down the road underperformed too'.

I would suggest most Crows members hope that Port don't win a flag, we might feel quietly gleeful when it's their controversy, we certainly hate them in Showdown week but as for measuring the success of our own season, Port aren't on the radar. I can't imagine many Port fans in the last 5 years have been like 'Sack Hinkley but I guess at least our lack of premiership success can be tempered by the Crows' misfortunes'.

If I could choose between no flags for either side for the next 5 years or us winning 1 and Port winning 2, I'd pick the latter. Winning comes first, rivalries are always second.

You reckon a characteristic of support is whether you care about the club down the road?

Talk about little brother syndrome.

Only losers sit around at the culmination of a failed season and go 'well one consolation is that the team down the road underperformed too'.

I would suggest most Crows members hope that Port don't win a flag, we might feel quietly gleeful when it's their controversy, we certainly hate them in Showdown week but as for measuring the success of our own season, Port aren't on the radar. I can't imagine many Port fans in the last 5 years have been like 'Sack Hinkley but I guess at least our lack of premiership success can be tempered by the Crows' misfortunes'.

If I could choose between no flags for either side for the next 5 years or us winning 1 and Port winning 2, I'd pick the latter. Winning comes first, rivalries are always second.
That’s why I said small consultation not the be all to end all.
This is my experience it’s what makes the showdown the best rivalry in the AFL.
I’m not sure whether your arguing for the sake of it or live sheltered.

Last edited:
Well it seems the chickens didn’t take long to come home to roost on this one

the amount of pre season wank over him and the absolute fraud of a team he leads by media (David king put him in the same boat as McRae lol) and their bantam chested supporters, whilst simultaneously s**t canning the hell out of Fremantle and Justin longmuir is not quite working out like they thought

Dribbling s**t ad nauseum how longmuir coached boring and nicks exciting and bold (lol) likewise
Jlo extension was met with vitriol and contempt while everyone applauded nicks, despite jlo having already made finals and won one and nick’s having done 4/5s of * all.

So much group think in the AFL media and gullible supporters continue to lap it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back