Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nick Daicos.

The Daicos Effect - 'The phenomenon where the whole of a club's hopes and dreams of success dramatically increase upon the arrival of a supremely talented youngster who shows poise and composure beyond his years thereby leading to real success' - J. Brown, 4th March 2024.

1709689831209.png

We have never seen a player do what he has done in his first two seasons. Many people have said he was the best first/second year player since Chris Judd. Chris Judd didn't do what Nick Daicos has done in his first two seasons.

Injury causing him to miss the final four matches of the 2023 home and away season was the only thing that stood in the way of him sweeping every individual award on offer, though he still managed to finish top three in the Brownlow, AFLCA Coaches Award and AFLPA MVP, in only his second season.

He topped off his year to return from injury for the Preliminary and Grand Final, playing influential games in both matches to be rewarded with his first premiership for the club. Reflecting on the play that resulted in the De Goey goal that put Collingwood back in front in the late stages of that game, it is highly doubtful that Collingwood win the Grand Final without Nick Daicos doing what he does best.

We need to track his career progression as he pushes for GOAT status, and what better way to do that than through use of a spreadsheet:

1708468293386.png

I have also rated the top 50 players in the history on the AFL/VFL competition, based on what I have seen and read, and we'll tick each of these players off as Nick's careers surpasses them:

1711849023654.png

I'm predicting it is a matter of when, not if, we're anointing Nick Daicos as the AFL GOAT.

Attachments

• 1711830421081.png
    1711830421081.png
    15 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Exceptional talent with ball in hand, looks like a big moment player as well.

Barring injury he is going to be an elite player either way, GOAT is a huge call, that would mean he ends up being better than Wayne Cary, Gary Ablett Snr & Jnr, Leigh Matthews, Tony Lockett and Lance Franklin to name just a few.

NO from me.

Even then he will still be force fed disposals like Gary jnr was at GC.
When a player is such a good ball user and decision maker in the way GAJ was, and Nick Daicos is, why wouldn't a team do everything they can to get the ball into the hands of these players when they are in space.

Notwithstanding the fact that players like GAJ and N. Daicos get so many possessions that they actually generally rack up more contested possessions than 99% of other players in the competition... people have to resort to % of possessions as contested to talk these players down...

Nick Daicos.

We have never seen a player do what he has done in his first two seasons. Many people have said he was the best first/second year player since Chris Judd. Chris Judd didn't do what Nick Daicos has done in his first two seasons.

Injury causing him to miss the final four matches of the 2023 home and away season was the only thing that stood in the way of him sweeping every individual award on offer, though he still managed to finish top three in the Brownlow, AFLCA Coaches Award and AFLPA MVP, in only his second season.

He topped off his year to return from injury for the Preliminary and Grand Final, playing influential games in both matches to be rewarded with his first premiership for the club. Reflecting on the play that resulted in the De Goey goal that put Collingwood back in front in the late stages of that game, it is highly doubtful that Collingwood win the Grand Final without Nick Daicos doing what he does best.

We need to track his career progression as he pushes for GOAT status, and what better way to do that than through use of a spreadsheet:
View attachment 1909755

I'm predicting it is a matter of when, not if, we're anointing Nick Daicos as the AFL GOAT.
First thing off the mark, he has no compare age for age in the modern era I wouldn't say. Judd closest. So let's just discuss basing his "prime" vs others prime. And yes that means longevity will be on his side the longer he stays at this level or beyond.

If we look at statistics so far it's hard to compare Daicos to a lot of other candidates that were essentially full time midfielders. It seemed as the year developed in 2023 his status started to shift this way. Overall though he'd be classed a half back/outside midfielder/stoppage midfielder hybrid.

For a dominant premiership team you could say a "superstar" on 6.6 SIs and 1.45 combined goals/assists isn't breathtaking. But then he's more like Ablett meets Enright rather than Ablett meets Dusty (positionally) so far.

Exceptional talent with ball in hand, looks like a big moment player as well.

Barring injury he is going to be an elite player either way, GOAT is a huge call, that would mean he ends up being better than Wayne Cary, Gary Ablett Snr & Jnr, Leigh Matthews, Tony Lockett and Lance Franklin to name just a few.

NO from me.

Concur.

I would add a couple of points. Yes, it's possible Nick becomes the GOAT, in the same way it's possible that many players could do it. From an aesthetics point of view, I would find it difficult to classify an uncontested player like him as the greatest footballer of all time.

Nick Daicos.

View attachment 1909755

You cant compare him to players in the past, they didnt used to get babied into AFL by sitting at half back like Daicos and Sheezel have done. Its easy to look good when you dont have an opponent and just roam around picking up cheap touches.

My actual answer:
Its too early to tell. Its undeniable he thrives in a team that has the contested hard ball players giving him the ball all the time, but they cant play forever. Adams is gone, Mitchell is 30 and seems past it, Pendles is 64, etc. If Macrae/whoever cant step up bigly to replace them then his performances wont get any better thats for sure.
There is also the potential that as he matures and becomes more of a leader around the club, he stops being so hungry for the ball, and starts doing team things, especially if the Pies drop off somewhat

Exactly, why wouldn't ya. Do you think it's easier to get the ball into the hands of Nick Daicos now than it would've been to Gary jnr before the emasculation?
Ablett at Gold Coast was having around 15 contested possessions a game before the shoulder injury. Plenty of tackles. Those first four years up there shattered his body.

As for Daicos his contested possession numbers are low, but not really in terms of second year players. And not in terms of back flankers or outside midfielders.

He gets a huge amount of uncontested footy but he also works his backside off to get those possessions. Ones that were a huge edge in a sides premiership assault. More time at stoppages as he puts on muscle will likely bring more CPs.

Might catch Gaz on longevity as he is a very uncontested bruise free player.
He also relies on his speed a lot, which he will lose as he gets closer to the end of his career.

Ablett relied a bit more on skill and his ability to shrug tackles. In the era of bigger bodied mids I think Gaz would struggle a bit, let alone a much skinnier kid in Daicos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First thing off the mark, he has no compare age for age in the modern era I wouldn't say. Judd closest. So let's just discuss basing his "prime" vs others prime. And yes that means longevity will be on his side the longer he stays at this level or beyond.

Actually, Marcus Ashcroft would be a good comparison.

Damn shame about eh ACL, would've been the perfect comparison for a second year player.

Otherwise, Sheezel would be the one to compare him 2 in regards to second season players this year.

Actually, Marcus Ashcroft would be a good comparison.

Damn shame about eh ACL, would've been the perfect comparison for a second year player.

Otherwise, Sheezel would be the one to compare him 2 in regards to second season players this year.
Sorry I meant when comparing to former players after this "2 year checkpoint".

In regards to player role I'd agree Sheezel is the most similar. Ashcroft is already a bit more like a JHF type (at a higher early level).

It gets very tricky comparing different types of players. If Daicos becomes much better than he is now (but the same kind of outside mid/rebounding half back role) could you call him better than Dangerfield? Or is it too much an apples vs oranges comparison?

If his influence on games continues to grow he'll just get tagged every game eventually.

Don't think he's anywhere near strong enough to break them like GAJ and Judd did most weeks so my opinion is no.

Might end up equalling them in accolades due to his uncontested nature giving him more longevity but GAJ and prime Judd were about as close to unstoppable as you could be.

He's too little, doesn't physically intimidate like a Matthews, Ablett Snr or Carey, doesn't take spectacular marks, he simply doesn't have the physical prowess to ever be the best player ever.

It's an absurd suggestion.
I only caught the back end of Matthews' career, but how many spectacular marks did he take?

It's an absurd suggestion.

It's an OBVIOUS suggestion

Just sit back and watch the GOAT roll out the greatest career of all time and thank your lucky stars you got to live through his era, like people who saw Bradman

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It gets very tricky comparing different types of players. If Daicos becomes much better than he is now (but the same kind of outside mid/rebounding half back role) could you call him better than Dangerfield? Or is it too much an apples vs oranges comparison?
When comparing the Greatest of All Time, we absolutely have to challenge ourselves to compare apples v. oranges.

How else do we rank Matthews v. Ablett Snr v. Ablett Jnr for example, when they were all very different types of players?

Tall poppy syndrome is a shame in this country. Enjoy greatness when you see it.

LeBron, Messi, Gretzky, Bradman, Brady, Djokovic, Daicos
Lol, you put a 30 game player in the same category as a cricketer who pretty much has an average double that of everyone else, and a 24 time gland slam champion .

How many players achieved what Daicos achieved after 2 seasons?

The joke's on you son, sit back and enjoy like you did with Judd

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Clearly a joke listing Daicos amongst the greatest players of all time in much bigger sports than AFL.

Daicos has probably already peaked. If he can maintain this form for the next 10 years you'd be immensely happy but it's never going to be GOAT-worthy.

Back