Prediction Nick Daicos: The statistic that could prevent him from winning the Brownlow Medal .

Remove this Banner Ad

So the take away here is that James Worpel is more likely to win the Brownlow than Nick Daicos.

Sweet.

Yet another informative thread created by a Richmond supporter...
Correction - the greatest thing since sliced bread: Shai Bolton. As he has more CP than Naicos, and he plays for the mighty RFC.

Last edited:
Finn is the best tagger in the game, look what he did a few weeks ago to a seasoned player in Josh Kelly.

Daicos' challenge will be how best to ensure one player's sole focus being on him, to make it to the advantage of the team.

Quite the compliment for a second year player.
Agree with this.
Finn did brilliantly on Kelly keeping him to (i think) 6 possessions (im sure it was under 10, as he screwed my multi :D)

Nick couldn't give a rat's ring if he got tagged, as long as Collingwood win.
In fact, I would go as far to say that Fly temps teams to tag him, so he can try different things for when it happens in a final.

Smart man our Fly, future hall of fame our Nick.

Daicos is currently 37th in contested possessions in the league.

"Players who have finished the season in the top five for contested possessions have won that year’s Brownlow dating back to 2013. That’s 10 winners in a row.

Carlton’s Patrick Cripps (2022), Port Adelaide’s Ollie Wines (2021), Brisbane’s Lachie Neale (2020), Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe (2019), Tom Mitchell when at Hawthorn (2018), Richmond’s Dustin Martin (2017), Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield (2016), Fyfe again (2015), West Coast’s Matt Priddis (2014) and Geelong great Gary Ablett (2013) were all top four in this specific stats category in their Brownlow season.

Daicos currently has 176 contested possessions which is equal 37th in the league, so he has some work to do if this specific stat actually does define the Brownlow winner.

For the record, the current top five for contested possessions in 2023 is Marcus Bontempelli (WB), Lachie Neale (BRI), Tom Liberatore (WB), Christian Petracca (MEL) and Matt Rowell (GCS). Just outside that quintet is last year’s winner Patrick Cripps (CAR) ahead of Caleb Serong (FRE), Rory Laird (ADE), Tim Taranto (RIC) and James Worpel (HAW).'

He's flashy and noticeable and damaging, gets a lot of ball on a regular basis and is a media darling with enormous hype, plus his team has won a lot of games.

He'll win it quite comfortably.

Daicos will win it because in a lot of games he has been the match winner, had the most possessions, had the most "big moments", has kicked goals and has had the media riding his dick since round 1.

It would be a Woewodin/Cooney level upset if Daicos wasn't to win the Brownlow this season. The other players you listed probably haven't done enough. Maybe Petracca because the Dees are top 4, he gets a lot of it and kicks a few goals, but honestly I would be genuinely surprised if Daicos doesn't win the BL by at least 5 votes.
It’s funny because the dominance doesn't equal the hype. The media has cooked it with all the BS talk. He would be a worthy winner if he won it, but he hasn’t had anywhere near the season that matches the level of talk in the media that has made him a ‘lock’ as the Brownlow medalist.

He is a rough favourite, but he is no certainty and if Trac or Bont won it, they’d be worthy winners.

Finn is the best tagger in the game, look what he did a few weeks ago to a seasoned player in Josh Kelly.

Daicos' challenge will be how best to ensure one player's sole focus being on him, to make it to the advantage of the team.

Quite the compliment for a second year player.
I don’t think Bont, Cripps or Petracca who can win their own ball are too worried about Finn.

It is more an indication how NDaicos’ effectiveness can be limited by a bit of attention. Something he will need to work on given how reliant the Pies are him to create

I don’t think Bont, Cripps or Petracca who can win their own ball are too worried about Finn.

It is more an indication how NDaicos’ effectiveness can be limited by a bit of attention. Something he will need to work on given how reliant the Pies are him to create
So you're referencing players who are all in their mid to late 20's?

How old is Daicos again?

Daicos is an odd one as he's undoubtedly the most skilful and possibly also the smartest player in the comp but would genuinely get pushed around by Caleb Daniel in a contest.

Bontempelli and Petracca are far more imposing players and imo more deserving of the award, outside seagulls don't normally garner much respect for mine however, when you are as damaging with ball in hand as Daicos is its sort of fair enough that he's quite literally looking to steal the ball off his own teammates to get touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos is only in his 2nd year and Bont/Petracca are in their prime of their careers
Walsh and Butters are a similar size to Daicos and have been much harder at the footy since day 1 so I don't really think thats a valid point. He's an outside squib, just also happens to be one of the most skilful players we may have ever seen.

In a way I hope the Dogs finish the season well so that The Bont keeps racking em up .
Much more deserved winner and fits the mould of the Brownlow Medal Winner most of us like to see.
Tough as nails , Body on the line , Smooth as silk , Incredibly athletic , Skills to Burn , ripper bloke , great leader

( Edit : and doesn’t play for Collingwood 😉)

I keep a running tally of guessing brownlow votes.

Currently, I have Daicos on 30, Bontempelli 27 (played one extra game) and Petracca on 25.

Forget the rest.

I doubt Daicos loses it from here, but Bontempelli and Petracca are a chance if they fly home.

Bontempelli is the one that could get there. I only have him polling in 9 games (all 3 voters), but if he can get the odd one vote that I haven't credited him he could be right in it.

Currently, I have Daicos on 30, Bontempelli 27 (played one extra game) and Petracca on 25.

Forget the rest.

I doubt Daicos loses it from here, but Bontempelli and Petracca are a chance if they fly home.

Bontempelli is the one that could get there. I only have him polling in 9 games (all 3 voters), but if he can get the odd one vote that I haven't credited him he could be right in it.
Watching mostly Port games of course, so I reckon Butters in on 24-26 but has had an average last month and his odds will draft due to recency bias that happens with Brownlow odds.
Rozee might just take enough votes off him to get in his way, I’ve got him on 19-20.

Watching mostly Port games of course, so I reckon Butters in on 24-26 but has had an average last month and his odds will draft due to recency bias that happens with Brownlow odds.
Rozee might just take enough votes off him to get in his way, I’ve got him on 19-20.
I have Butters on 18, but could be wrong by a margin.

I have him polling in rounds 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. I don't have him polling since round 13.

Well if you think he will win comfortably those are good odds. Would you take those odds?
The Brownlow isn't a market I bet on, too many variables and its a long market to analyse where I dont feel i have an edge.

But that's completely irrelevant, just because I wouldn't get in something doesn't mean I can't have a confident prediction.

Forget the rest.

Really hope Bont wins it this year. Our team has been bang average apart from libba and should have been much closer to the top 4 with some better coaching moves. The blokes been far and away the best player this season

Yet another Nick Daicos thread.

Get over it, the young man is a star, only probably The Bont is a better player at the moment and he is only going to get better. How many 20 year olds have ever had claims to be the best player in the comp?

Enjoy the ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back