Player Watch 2024 Brownlow Medal Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the "no particular order" posts - sack up and name one.
Fair call, I'd have:
  1. Walsh, Daicos
  2. Gulden
  3. Bontempelli, Anderson
  4. Butters
  5. Trac
  6. Rozee
Mostly for the below reasons:
  • Daicos and hopefully Walsh should play for top four sides, both are prolific ball winners, both media pets and both are "good boys" so tend to attract some love from the umpires. They've both had high polling seasons before, they're my two favourites.
  • Gulden shouldn't be competing for votes with anyone except Chad Warner, but they will probably be in the lower half of the 8 so he mightn't have as many vote getting opportunties
  • Bont and Anderson will probably play for sides that just miss the 8, and have players that directly compete for votes with them.
  • Butters will directly compete with another brownlow fancy on his own team
  • Trac clearly doesn't poll as well as he should, based on some of his performances this year that went unrecognised
  • Rozee is the lesser of he and Butters, and will find it hard to stand out against him

I hope I am wrong, but I kind of think the brownlow ship as sailed for The Bont.

Last year was his best year to win it, and with the new and exciting next generation of gun mid fielders and vote getters, Daicos, Gulden, Walsh, Aschcroft, Anderson etc I fear like Pendlebury (who really should have won one at least in his legendary career), he will never do enough to impress umpires enough (probably unfairly I might add) to take home Charlie.

I hope I am wrong, but I kind of think the brownlow ship as sailed for The Bont.

Last year was his best year to win it, and with the new and exciting next generation of gun mid fielders and vote getters, Daicos, Gulden, Walsh, Aschcroft, Anderson etc I fear like Pendlebury (who really should have won one at least in his legendary career), he will never do enough to impress umpires enough (probably unfairly I might add) to take home Charlie.

Would be nice for him, but regardless, he's a better footballer than the past 3 Brownlow winners and his peak form has been longer than Fyfe's was.

Would be nice for him, but regardless, he's a better footballer than the past 3 Brownlow winners and his peak form has been longer than Fyfe's was.

Possibly, although I think Cripps only needs to win a flag to at least equal Bont, he has been so good/consistent for so long, esp in ratchet Carlton teams and coaches Pre Voss.

I don't think Leigh Matthews loses any sleep over not winning the brownlow tbh.

Possibly, although I think Cripps only needs to win a flag to at least equal Bont, he has been so good/consistent for so long, esp in ratchet Carlton teams and coaches Pre Voss.

I don't think Leigh Matthews loses any sleep over not winning the brownlow tbh.

Not entirely fair as Matthews played before Charles Brownlow so he could hardly win the Brownlow medal.

Better footballer is pretty irrelevant. While if there was a Brownlow over the last 3 years I’d say he’d win it quite comfortably, I don’t think he was favourite in any of the previous 3 seasons.

2021: Wines, Bont and Oliver were all the stand outs. I’d argue Oliver was the best of the 3.

2022: Cripps shouldn’t have won. But I think Neale was the best player that year.

2023: I think Bonts year was massively overrated. Butters had the better seasons (Daicos if he played the full year).

Better footballer is pretty irrelevant. While if there was a Brownlow over the last 3 years I’d say he’d win it quite comfortably, I don’t think he was favourite in any of the previous 3 seasons.

2021: Wines, Bont and Oliver were all the stand outs. I’d argue Oliver was the best of the 3.

2022: Cripps shouldn’t have won. But I think Neale was the best player that year.

2023: I think Bonts year was massively overrated. Butters had the better seasons (Daicos if he played the full year).

Butters was the best player in the league for the first 15 rounds last year but imo fell in a heap in the final 8 rounds (coinciding with Port's form slump as well)

Butters was the best player in the league for the first 15 rounds last year but imo fell in a heap in the final 8 rounds (coinciding with Port's form slump as well)
Simply not true. He polled coaches votes in 6/8 of the final games. There were many reasons we fell off a cliff, butters wasn’t one of them.

Not entirely fair as Matthews played before Charles Brownlow so he could hardly win the Brownlow medal.
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simply not true. He polled coaches votes in 6/8 of the final games. There were many reasons we fell off a cliff, butters wasn’t one of them.
He seemed hindered by that troublesome groin (no, not like JdG) for the last few games he played as well which I think hurt his finals performances

The brownlow is a raffle especially with players being ineligible for the most minor acts. I would love to see Bont win one but I think he may have missed the boat unluckily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back