Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah mate, use the posts above where they're comparing Daicos to Judd, Ablett jnr and Joel Selwood. Has anyone compared him to Peter Daicos?
Never thought I'd say this but he's BETTER than his dad who was my favourite player ever

I think he'll end up in the top handful of players in history

Long way to go before then though, will be fun!!

Never thought I'd say this but he's BETTER than his dad who was my favourite player ever

I think he'll end up in the top handful of players in history

Long way to go before then though, will be fun!!
No argument from me mate, but i do remember when the Pies used to throw Peter into the midfield and they have similar traits.

I think Pendles as a comparison is a bit off. Yes theyā€™ve got the same peripheral vision, anticipation of play and quality disposal by hand and foot. But Pendles is a big body and predominantly defensively minded and has no pace at all.

Nick is very (too?) offensively minded right now and he definitely relies on his acceleration over 5m.

GAJ as a comparison is interesting, there are some similarities because of pure footballing talent but Iā€™m not sure. Youā€™d have to ask Geelong supporters about his earlier years before he reached his full potential as I canā€™t remember without thinking about what heā€™s achieved later and his style of play. He is a big body and is great inside and at tackling, and heā€™s more mid to forward than mid to back like Nick is.

At this stage I think Nickā€™s tackling technique is the biggest flaw in his game. But hard with a slight body so feels like a couple more pre season might help him because a true inside-out midfielder.

No argument from me mate, but i do remember when the Pies used to throw Peter into the midfield and they have similar traits.
The biggest difference for me is the intensity, this kid REALLY wants to win

When we looked like we were about to choke another GF, he almost single-handedly buried the Colliwobbles for good in the last 5 minutes

Contrast his old man's crap 1981 GF at the same age, when we got run over

Not sure why you think so.
The difference in ave
Tackles, clearances, contested possesions, Goals and Goal assists.
Itā€™s not close.

I like watching Daicos play, I really do.
IMO the closest player to him and the way he plays is probably Pendlebury.

His give and go and get again.
His vision.
His kicking both in style and effectiveness.
His break away pace, that Nick doesn't yet get credit for, from non pies people who watch him more casually.
Low center of gravity and excellent balance.
Evasiveness.
Clean one touch.
Attacking player, goal dangerous, and sets up team mates constantly.
Attacking player.
Positioning and reactions to play.

Literally shares a lot of physical Similarities.

Nick is not at Gazzas best level yet but give it a few years and he will be.

Last edited:
I think Pendles as a comparison is a bit off. Yes theyā€™ve got the same peripheral vision, anticipation of play and quality disposal by hand and foot. But Pendles is a big body and predominantly defensively minded and has no pace at all.

Nick is very (too?) offensively minded right now and he definitely relies on his acceleration over 5m.

GAJ as a comparison is interesting, there are some similarities because of pure footballing talent but Iā€™m not sure. Youā€™d have to ask Geelong supporters about his earlier years before he reached his full potential as I canā€™t remember without thinking about what heā€™s achieved later and his style of play. He is a big body and is great inside and at tackling, and heā€™s more mid to forward than mid to back like Nick is.

At this stage I think Nickā€™s tackling technique is the biggest flaw in his game. But hard with a slight body so feels like a couple more pre season might help him because a true inside-out midfielder.

Nick only plays mid to back because the team needs his rebound and drive.

Craig Macrea has many time lamented at the fact he can't use Nick forward of center more. Previously commenting about what they see in scratch matches and training when Nick plays forward is next level...even stating "wait till I release the shackles" earlier this year.

Gaz jnr took years to become the player he did, at Nicks age he was a small forward and copping criticism for being a lazy player.

Also think he is fine as far as tackling goes no physical beast but competant enough.

Imo it's inside when targeted by physical player that he needs to work through and learn to shake.
Gaz had no issues with this once he was 23 plus and I suspect neither will Daicos.

Gaz jnr kicking style, body movement and his 1-2 follow up is very ND.
Ability around goals and to set up team mates again very similar.

Watch highlights of them both and its hard to not see the similarities.

I think NDaicos is a better field kick myself.
I also donā€™t think they kick anything like each other.
Completely different.
Good player NDaicos, hope he stays healthy šŸ‘
GAJ was the best weighted kick in the history of the game.

Based on what we've seen so far, Daicos' vision and willingness to take on a challenging option is slightly better than that of GAJ, but hopefully we have a dozen years to assess and appreciate that.

Nick only plays mid to back because the team needs his rebound and drive.

Craig Macrea has many time lamented at the fact he can't use Nick forward of center more. Previously commenting about what they see in scratch matches and training when Nick plays forward is next level...even stating "wait till I release the shackles" earlier this year.

Gaz jnr took years to become the player he did, at Nicks age he was a small forward and copping criticism for being a lazy player.

Also think he is fine as far as tackling goes no physical beast but competant enough.

Imo it's inside when targeted by physical player that he needs to work through and learn to shake.
Gaz had no issues with this once he was 23 plus and I suspect neither will Daicos.

Gaz jnr kicking style, body movement and his 1-2 follow up is very ND.
Ability around goals and to set up team mates again very similar.

Watch highlights of them both and its hard to not see the similarities.

At this stage I would say the key attribute that GAJ had that Naicos doesnā€™t is that incredible core strength.

The way that presents now is that when GAJ got the ball he was able to burst forward and through players.

At this point in his career, when he gets the ball Naicos tends to look lateral or for a hole to sneak through. He does this brilliantly well. A prime example is the handball to set up de Goeyā€™s goal, he knows that he realistically canā€™t absorb that contact (yet), so he has to flick it on quick.

This isnā€™t a commentary on who is better, just how their styles vary. It must be said that Daicos has achieved a hell of a lot more than GAJ did in his first two years.

Heā€™s already incredibly fun to watch, but if Nick does develop that core strength and can start to our body opponents the way GAJ could, then he may well end up as the greatest ever.

At this stage I would say the key attribute that GAJ had that Naicos doesnā€™t is that incredible core strength.

The way that presents now is that when GAJ got the ball he was able to burst forward and through players.

At this point in his career, when he gets the ball Naicos tends to look lateral or for a hole to sneak through. He does this brilliantly well. A prime example is the handball to set up de Goeyā€™s goal, he knows that he realistically canā€™t absorb that contact (yet), so he has to flick it on quick.

This isnā€™t a commentary on who is better, just how their styles vary. It must be said that Daicos has achieved a hell of a lot more than GAJ did in his first two years.

Heā€™s already incredibly fun to watch, but if Nick does develop that core strength and can start to our body opponents the way GAJ could, then he may well end up as the greatest ever.
Agree with a lot of this.

Also GAJ was freakish around goals, if you watch the highlights of some of the goals he kicked theyā€™re just ludicrous.

We havenā€™t seen enough of young Daics playing forward of centre to know if heā€™ll ever develop this, but with his old manā€™s genes it wouldnā€™t shock me either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does not squib, he tries to evade. but that wont change the mind of the people who think he is soft. I don't really care what they think though. He could have easily kicked 2 goals in the last quarter but missed that would have brought us really close to winning but guess what, people miss.

Amazing how the naysayers cannot wait to come out of the woodwork after 2 decent but not outstanding games. Bar is set incredibly high and he will come back. I have zero worries about how good he is.
I think its fair to say that after last night's game Daicos' softness was plain to see for everyone. Already about 5 or 6 contests doing the rounds on twitter where he didn't put his body on the line.

I think its fair to say that after last night's game Daicos' softness was plain to see for everyone. Already about 5 or 6 contests doing the rounds on twitter where he didn't put his body on the line.
I remember when the same stories were doing the rounds about Scott Pendlebury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back