Prediction Nick Daicos: The statistic that could prevent him from winning the Brownlow Medal .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another Nick Daicos thread.

Get over it, the young man is a star, only probably The Bont is a better player at the moment and he is only going to get better. How many 20 year olds have ever had claims to be the best player in the comp?

Enjoy the ride.
No probably about it, Bont is the best in the comp,

Daicos is an odd one as he's undoubtedly the most skilful and possibly also the smartest player in the comp but would genuinely get pushed around by Caleb Daniel in a contest.

Bontempelli and Petracca are far more imposing players and imo more deserving of the award, outside seagulls don't normally garner much respect for mine however, when you are as damaging with ball in hand as Daicos is its sort of fair enough that he's quite literally looking to steal the ball off his own teammates to get touches.
We embarrassingly underate skill and smarts if the player in question is perceived as being “soft”

Why does he have to be “imposing” if he still does the damage that gets his team over the top?

Then again we are a sport that doesn’t even want to touch the woeful level of goal kicking accuracy across the league, that in itself should be a scandal for a pro sport.

We embarrassingly underate skill and smarts if the player in question is perceived as being “soft”

Why does he have to be “imposing” if he still does the damage that gets his team over the top?

Then again we are a sport that doesn’t even want to touch the woeful level of goal kicking accuracy across the league, that in itself should be a scandal for a pro sport.
Can only speak for myself but for me I just hate softies in sport. My team or not, players who duck, dive, shirk contests and refuse to lay a heavy tackle just piss me off. Wouldn't really be able to tell you why other than my favourite players were always tough as nails so I guess I naturally dislike the opposite.

As I said he's an odd player to rate, his talent is freakish but he's as soft as a marshmallow. Is there anything wrong with that? No... But it still offsides fans for whatever reason.

As I said he's an odd player to rate, his talent is freakish but he's as soft as a marshmallow. Is there anything wrong with that? No... But it still offsides fans for whatever reason.
Because in this diverse, inclusive, and welcoming society of all colours and races and flavours, you're not allowed to comment on someone's shortcomings, you have to focus on their abilities. And not criticise. And give them a ribbon.

Well his game today has cemented my opinion that Walsh and JHF will be better players at their peak.

Ashcroft and sheezel are coming close.

Never seen an apparent Brownlow contender be so weak in the contest. For the sake of the game Butters, Bont or Trac better win it.

The Bont is currently the most complete player (skillful and tough) which is why, bias aside, he'd be most deserving winner imo.

I feel the criticism of Naicos can be abit over the top but he shouldn't be exempt from it. People are happy to bag Taranto for his disposal as it's a definite shortcoming, Daicos' inside game currently is not his strong suit (he could get better with time) but it highlights how damaging the rest of his game is

Is Zak Butters a statistic?

Well his game today has cemented my opinion that Walsh and JHF will be better players at their peak.

Never seen an apparent Brownlow contender be so weak in the contest. For the sake of the game Butters, Bont or Trac better win it.

Not sure you can add Sheezel to the list considering Finn kept him to 6 touches himself after moving to him at half time. He's just a nightmare match up for any outside linking player.

Completely destroyed Kelly (GWS) as well.

Can only speak for myself but for me I just hate softies in sport. My team or not, players who duck, dive, shirk contests and refuse to lay a heavy tackle just piss me off. Wouldn't really be able to tell you why other than my favourite players were always tough as nails so I guess I naturally dislike the opposite.

Tbf to Naicos, as has been mentioned several times, he's only a second year player. A few more pre-seasons to improve his physique, he'll feel stronger and therefore be harder at the contest. I still feel he'll be a generational player, but as for Brownlow Medallist if he wins it this year I won't feel it's a bad decision, but I also won't feel he's a clearly more deserving winner than Bontempelli or Petracca (and especially not an Oliver with an uninterrupted season). Yet in three seasons time I still feel he'll be the undisputed best player in the league.

For the sake of ya health please stop posting salt

Daicos is an odd one as he's undoubtedly the most skilful and possibly also the smartest player in the comp but would genuinely get pushed around by Caleb Daniel in a contest.

Bontempelli and Petracca are far more imposing players and imo more deserving of the award, outside seagulls don't normally garner much respect for mine however, when you are as damaging with ball in hand as Daicos is its sort of fair enough that he's quite literally looking to steal the ball off his own teammates to get touches.

In fairness, Caleb pushes above his weight. He's outbodied both Sean Darcy and Max Gawn.

It's right about time for a Brownlow tie. Bont and Daicos both deserving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep a running tally of guessing brownlow votes.

Currently, I have Daicos on 30, Bontempelli 27 (played one extra game) and Petracca on 25.

Forget the rest.

I doubt Daicos loses it from here, but Bontempelli and Petracca are a chance if they fly home.

Bontempelli is the one that could get there. I only have him polling in 9 games (all 3 voters), but if he can get the odd one vote that I haven't credited him he could be right in it.
I’d be keen to see your updated tally here. I have Bont and Daicos on 30 and Petracca on 28. I’m finding it hard to get a read on Butters.

I’d be keen to see your updated tally here. I have Bont and Daicos on 30 and Petracca on 28. I’m finding it hard to get a read on Butters.
I too have Bontempelli and Daicos finishing on 30.

I have Butters on 28 and I have Petracca on 27.

Petracca is very difficult to read. He's polled coaches votes in 17 of 22 rounds, but often he's just scraped in. I've got him polling in 14 games, which might be too high. I also have him polling 6 x 1 votes. Some of those 6 might end up being none or two.

For example, against North (27 disposals + 2 goals) I've given him 1 vote, but he may end up with none or two/three.

I feel he needs a BOG today or he'll come up short.

Butters is in it up to his eyeballs. Will the umpires reward him as much as I expect in his first real breakout season ?

What did you give Petracca in round 21 (if any) ?

I too have Bontempelli and Daicos finishing on 30.

I have Butters on 28 and I have Petracca on 27.

Petracca is very difficult to read. He's polled coaches votes in 17 of 22 rounds, but often he's just scraped in. I've got him polling in 14 games, which might be too high. I also have him polling 6 x 1 votes. Some of those 6 might end up being none or two.

For example, against North (27 disposals + 2 goals) I've given him 1 vote, but he may end up with none or two/three.

I feel he needs a BOG today or he'll come up short.

Butters is in it up to his eyeballs. Will the umpires reward him as much as I expect in his first real breakout season ?

What did you give Petracca in round 21 (if any) ?
I gave Petracca 2 in R21. He was quiet in the first half but was good in the 2nd, and there weren’t really many standouts.

With Butters it will come down to if he polls 1s early in the season when he was good but not great. He’ll come home very strongly though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back