Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure what the argument is tbh. He is crazy good. Watch the last 6 minutes of Saturday's game if you want any further proof.
I’m still undecided on Nick Daicos. I might wait until he plays at least 50 games before I pass judgment.
After all that’s usually what players new to the game from the other 17 teams could expect.

Because you are desperate to find a flaw so you just make crap up. finlayson will be consigned to the bush about the same time Daicos lifts a cup as skipper.
This.

He was in the Norm Smith thread slagging him off all day too.

Here, he has jumped on the whole kick in stat BS, and then the drawing a free kick BS. The kid is clearly clutching at straws.

Then he moved onto the next white lie that his boy Maginness has kept Daicos quiet in 3 games when Daicos has played 1 poor game against the Hawks before being injured in the 3rd quarter of that game. Not sure why old mate keeps bringing up the pre-season game like it’s meant to hold any merit. How sad is that btw? Referencing a pre-season game 😂

My favourite part of his theory (which he has been using across multiple posts for multiple days now in this thread) is apparently Maginness kept Daicos quiet last year, when he had 36 and was named 2nd BOG by the coaches. Backtracked on that very quickly when he got called out on it.

He’ll still be bashing Nick in the next thread, there’s no doubt about that.

I do remmeber when freekickhawthorn was a thing. In the collective 4 years hawthorn have won flags this century, their overall free kick differential was -108. This is the worst free kick differential of any team in the era across all their flags.

It was jealousy pure and simple, mostly invented by Geelong supporters because their captain literally was playing for frees every single game.

People just don't like the fact that Hawthorn have won more flags than any other club during their life. However old they are.
Damn those naughty GEELONG supporters!!!!

Aside from the last 4 premierships, which is a great credit to the club, Hawthorn became a powerhouse in our lifetime on the backs of having the best zone out of any club. At one stage their zones had 3 times the population of any other club's zone. A huge advantage. As a piece of trivia, the HAWTHORN sides in their golden era was full of COLLINGWOOD supporters. Dipper, Brereton, the 2 Dears and several others whose names escape me.

Zoning was brought in to stop the dominance of Melbourne and Collingwood who both featured in countless GFs in the 1950's.

Aside from the last 4 premierships, which is a great credit to the club, Hawthorn became a powerhouse in our lifetime on the backs of having the best zone out of any club. At one stage their zones had 3 times the population of any other club's zone. A huge advantage. As a piece of trivia, the HAWTHORN sides in their golden era was full of COLLINGWOOD supporters. Dipper, Brereton, the 2 Dears and several others whose names escape me.

Zoning was brought in to stop the dominance of Melbourne and Collingwood who both featured in countless GFs in the 1950's.
So many excuses for so much failure.

What about the uncontested kick/mark around the backline?

Nah, I’d only remove stats that are gained by grabbing a stationery ball out of a bucket behind the goals before running out of a square in 15m of empty space.

Let’s say Luke Ryan has 10 kicks in general play and turns over 6 of them. And he takes 8 kick outs.

His stats being dissected at game’s end are 18 kicks at 66% efficiency, with 780m gained - sounds pretty impressive.

His stats removing kick outs are 10 kicks at 40% kicking efficiency with 300m gained - horrible.

Darcy Moore averaged 15.58 touches this year. He averaged 11.5 without kick outs which is pretty low compared to other elite defenders.

Harris Andrew missed AA and averaged 14.19 touches. 14.00 without his 4 kick outs. Weitering averaged 15.46 and took no kick outs.

If it was 15.46 and 14.0 v 11.5 being analysed maybe Andrews or Weitering gets the nod…?

And before anyone comes at me, Moore was very worthy and it’s just an example of how kick-ins can skew the stats.. I know disposals aren’t the most important thing for a KPD and I’d have had Moore in my AA team based on his first dozen or so games.

They can leave the kick-in stats in if they want, I’d just like to know them each game and i think anyone analysing stats to give votes… whether media, coaches or umpires … should know them too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I do remmeber when freekickhawthorn was a thing. In the collective 4 years hawthorn have won flags this century, their overall free kick differential was -108. This is the worst free kick differential of any team in the era across all their flags.

It was jealousy pure and simple, mostly invented by Geelong supporters because their captain literally was playing for frees every single game.

People just don't like the fact that Hawthorn have won more flags than any other club during their life. However old they are.

Maybe check Richmond’s free kicks stats from 2017-20…. bottom of the free kick differential ladder every year if I remember rightly ..? We’d be way worse than -108 from 2017-20 I’d assume.

Maybe check Richmond’s free kicks stats from 2017-20…. bottom of the free kick differential ladder every year if I remember rightly ..? We’d be way worse than -108 from 2017-20 I’d assume.

Yours was really bad too, but the data I was working off stopped in 2018 so I only had your first flag, but it was -60ish. So yeah, I wouldn't doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You still have to win those gfs when you get there, my dear black n white friends

So in the zoning era, hawks 9 flags from 12 gf
Since the draft, 4 flags from 5 gf

30 plus years each. So maybe not all we’re ‘gifted’

Last edited:
Pies supporters feeling like they need to put down anyone who says Judd was a more dynamic stoppage player…geez.
He was, simple as that. Judd changed that position there was nobody better at exploding through a stoppage.
NDaicos is a special player no doubt about it.
More and more the game looks like it’s played and won between the arcs, most subs are players who can do that. Oleg Markove is an example of that sortve player being more important.
There are more similarities between soccer now with that emphasis on FWD transition and Daicos looks like a Central midfielder in soccer.
He starts and creates offensive moves forward with short/medium passes and the way he sees the game.
He’s a fwd transition player and has license to be able to follow whatever he predicts might happen, all the team trust him to do it and when he hits the go button everyone around him and fwd of him do as well.
He plays the same way wherever he is on the ground.
Incredible tank for a second year player and Collingwood have built part of their game style on his strengths and he leads that part of their game when he gets involved in that part of their game.
Good on em.
Maybe he will end up a great player, he’s great to watch.
What he does have in common with Judds talent is there is nobody better at what he’s good at in the comp.
NDaicos is a new sortve player. IMO

Watch the passage leading up to the Crisp goal at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Just watch it.

Then tell me Daicos isn't a generational player.

He created a momentum shifting Grand Final goal from nothing, while directly matched up on a dual Brownlow medalist, in his 2nd game back from what should have been a 10 week injury.

Absolute freak.

Probably because you only really follow discussions around Collingwood. Go to the Supercoach board and it's brought up everyday. It's the easiest stat to get, you basically just pick anyone who takes kick ins as a defender in Supercoach. Everyone had ******* Rory Atkins in their side this season, and he's the biggest spud imaginable. I don't care about it at all in regards to Nick Daicos, but he does love his stat sheet that's for sure, I absolutely guarantee you he will never not play-on from a kick in. That's not really any criticism about his actual play, I don't care at all that he does it and anyone constantly bringing it up is just an idiot.
That's more just Supercoach's s**t scoring system. He was relevant for about two weeks in AFL fantasy. Kick in stat is fine. No one complained when you had to kick it to yourself first, all the rule has done is remove that little skill. Players would still play on the same amount particularly given how far back the man on the mark has to stand. It's also not a randomly attributed stat. It goes to the best kick in the team. Those players should be rewarded for taking on that hard role with a stat.

Pies supporters feeling like they need to put down anyone who says Judd was a more dynamic stoppage player…geez.
He was, simple as that. Judd changed that position there was nobody better at exploding through a stoppage.
More and more the game looks like it’s played and won between the arcs, most subs are players who can do that. Oleg Markove is an example of that sortve player being more important.
There are more similarities between soccer now with that emphasis on FWD transition and Daicos looks like a Central midfielder in soccer.
He starts and creates offensive moves forward with short/medium passes and the way he sees the game.
He’s a fwd transition player and has license to be able to follow whatever he predicts might happen, all the team trust him to do it and when he hits the go button everyone around him and fwd of him do as well.
Incredible tank for a second year player and Collingwood have built part of their game style on his strengths and he leads that part of their game when he gets involved in that part of their game.
Good on em.
What he does have in common with Judds talent is there is nobody better at what he’s good at in the comp.
People have to remember that Judd in his crazy, million miles an hour stoppage mode lasted only 3.5 seasons (at an elite level). He was still very good after that but didn't have (or rely on) such electric pace and agility.

Agree about the rest.

People have to remember that Judd in his crazy, million miles an hour stoppage mode lasted only 3.5 seasons (at an elite level). He was still very good after that but didn't have (or rely on) such electric pace and agility.

Agree about the rest.
He was pretty good at it when he won the 2013 final in the 3rd quarter against the Tiges
Not bad at it when he won the Brownlow in 2010 either

Good on em.
Coming from a Richmond supporter on BF, this post is surprisingly spot on. From RICHMOND supporters a merciless bagging is the expectation.

He doesn't have the same skill set as JUDD, I don't think anyone bar JUDD has had that. He also doesn't have Dusty Martin's skill set. But he does have his own very effective skill set which is super important for the way game is played today.

For decision making, reading the game and disposal, Daicos is as good as anyone who has played the game. Macrae sets up our team to fully utilise those talents, as any smart coach would, yet opposition supporters seem to find it impossible, aside from the above post, to understand.

Good on em.

This is spot on and I’ve long thought the same re analogy to soccer. Also Bucks earlier in the year said something along these lines, great players reinvent the game in their own way.

People looking for like for like comparison are going to struggle because he doesn’t really play like other players I’ve seen play (Judd was the same in terms of reinventing a style of play).

He looks a bit like a Sam Mitchell with great acceleration and pace and better endurance. That allows him to play that half back / mid hybrid role and essentially cover the entire ground (you will find him many times at the start of the forward transition chains from half back, all the way to the last or second last touch before a scoring shot).

The main reason this is so damaging is that he is basically a ‘creator’. Creates opportunities from nothing positions and nothing balls.

Last edited:
Watch the passage leading up to the Crisp goal at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Just watch it.

Then tell me Daicos isn't a generational player.

He created a momentum shifting Grand Final goal from nothing, while directly matched up on a dual Brownlow medalist, in his 2nd game back from what should have been a 10 week injury.

Absolute freak.
Bang on. And it wasn't even the biggest momentum shifting Grand Final goal he created.

When Charlie Cameron put Brisbane in front with 4 minutes to go in the final quarter, who wins the clearance at the centre bounce? Nick Daicos who is matched up on dual brownlow medlaist and arguably the best clearance player in the game. Daicos beats Neale, gives it to Pendlebury who kicks it forward and then this happens....

1696489643944-png.1823050

Insanely talented player who will likely win multiple Brownlow medals. Instrumental in a flag winning year for his side in only his second year. Future legend of the game.

But...he ducks.

It was painful to watch yesterday as a Lions fan, particularly since they correctly didn't call it for other players most of the day. Daicos ducks in front of goals and draws the high contact? Free kick. Zorko and Bailey do the same in front of goals? Play on.

I don't even really blame him, I'm sure every junior player coming through now is practicing how to lower their knees into oncoming tacklers - I've seen Ashcroft do it too. It's a blight on the game and very hard to umpire. Watch the first goal in the highlights from yesterday in slow motion:

Daicos gets the ball, immediately starts to lower the knees, locates the incoming tackler, and turns in that direction to ensure contact (given the angle I don't even think the umpire saw it tbh, they just paid it because De Goey and Cox threw their hands out).

It's less of a Daicos issue and more of an umpiring/rules one, but he's currently one of the worst offenders (moreso because they actually pay it for him, plenty of players are trying to do the same with less success).

Coleman did a ripper in the last 2.30 minutes. Should have been pinged for holding the ball right in front of goal for a 16 point lead

Throws his head back while tackled around waist, next kick a "holding free" to Neale when he brushed past Cox while Mcclugage the actual guy with the footy should have been done for incorrect disposal. Then next play Mccluggage does a Wayne Harmes, inboard to Daniher for a goal that got them within a kick.

Cheating of the highest order from Coleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back