Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

People that actually know footy understand the bad days should never be swept under the carpet. Obviously some of you feel they should be.

Yes but some of those same people are actually able to acknowledge when things do go well.

Some, not all.

People that actually know footy understand the bad days should never be swept under the carpet. Obviously some of you feel they should be.
I'm not sweeping anything under the carpet.
No one is happy or said they're happy with the loss.

I just think so far we've had a huge improvement from last year.
My expectations for this year was about 5 to 6 wins with a percentage of around 75, and to reduce the 100 point smashings.

So far, we're ahead of schedule, not withstanding our percentage took a beating on the weekend.

TBH, you sound like one of those people who won't take any satisfaction or enjoyment from our wins but will focus on our losses.

So what do you think the club should be doing after the loss?

I'm not sweeping anything under the carpet.
No one is happy or said they're happy with the loss.

I just think so far we've had a huge improvement from last year.
My expectations for this year was about 5 to 6 wins with a percentage of around 75, and to reduce the 100 point smashings.

So far, we're ahead of schedule, not withstanding our percentage took a beating on the weekend.

TBH, you sound like one of those people who won't take any satisfaction or enjoyment from our wins but will focus on our losses.

So what do you think the club should be doing after the loss?

Very simple as standards must be set and as you say wins just are not important. 4 very senior players from last week all should be dropped this week. Start with Darling and Gaff and work your way through.
And in a press conference come out and say our senior players are now on notice, you don't get to choose when you want to play well.

And read my posts, I was wrapped with the previous week and stated clearly we might have turned the corner. Sunday simply was not just another bad day. It was an indictment on a group who are still running things instead of the coach.

Very simple as standards must be set and as you say wins just are not important. 4 very senior players from last week all should be dropped this week. Start with Darling and Gaff and work your way through.
And in a press conference come out and say our senior players are now on notice, you don't get to choose when you want to play well.

And read my posts, I was wrapped with the previous week and stated clearly we might have turned the corner. Sunday simply was not just another bad day. It was an indictment on a group who are still running things instead of the coach.

I'll assume Gaff was a typo.

As for Darling, he kicked 3 goals the week before and had 12 tackles.
You want him dropped for a poor performance.
That's just insane.

You're living in the past if you think senior coaches will come out and publicly throw players under the bus.

We don't know what happens behind closed doors but I doubt the players all got a cuddle.

I'll assume Gaff was a typo.

As for Darling, he kicked 3 goals the week before and had 12 tackles.
You want him dropped for a poor performance.
That's just insane.

You're living in the past if you think senior coaches will come out and publicly throw players under the bus.

We don't know what happens behind closed doors but I doubt the players all got a cuddle.

Sheed sorry not Gaff.

You see this is where you just have no idea. How you build consistency and set standards is not allow poor performances to be rewarded. Clearly it's a bit of a modern thing to reward crap but we have been rewarding crap for many years now.
There has been no standards set at the club.
Anyway we will not agree, in a months time when it happens again we will be back to square one. The next two weeks against the two blind school teams won't cover anything for me.

Sheed sorry not Gaff.

You see this is where you just have no idea. How you build consistency and set standards is not allow poor performances to be rewarded. Clearly it's a bit of a modern thing to reward crap but we have been rewarding crap for many years now.
There has been no standards set at the club.
Anyway we will not agree, in a months time when it happens again we will be back to square one. The next two weeks against the two blind school teams won't cover anything for me.
Sorry mate, but you saying Darling needs to de dropped a fortnight after being one of the best on ground tells me that you're the one that has no idea.

As for "The next two weeks against the two blind school teams".
You do realise we were one of them last year.

What are your expectations of the club this year?

Sorry mate, but you saying Darling needs to de dropped a fortnight after being one of the best on ground tells me that you're the one that has no idea.

As for "The next two weeks against the two blind school teams".
You do realise we were one of them last year.

What are your expectations of the club this year?

My only expectations this year are new standards set. Don't care about wins and losses, handy to have some wins to excite the young players of course but it's all about standards for me.
The days of turning up one week to play and the next week to cruise should not be seen anymore. We have no excuses for that anymore. We are fit, we have huge amount of experience in the group, we have had some confidence even.
As we the fans do not get to see the standards in writing we can only view it as to what we see.
Do you believe our standards as to what is acceptable and to what is not acceptable have changed?

And stop going on about Darling, you have to make examples of players to set standards. Dropping young players does not work, dropping names does work. Darling was good against Melbourne, what was his excuse for not trying last Sunday?

My only expectations this year are new standards set. Don't care about wins and losses, handy to have some wins to excite the young players of course but it's all about standards for me.
The days of turning up one week to play and the next week to cruise should not be seen anymore. We have no excuses for that anymore. We are fit, we have huge amount of experience in the group, we have had some confidence even.
As we the fans do not get to see the standards in writing we can only view it as to what we see.
Do you believe our standards as to what is acceptable and to what is not acceptable have changed?

And stop going on about Darling, you have to make examples of players to set standards. Dropping young players does not work, dropping names does work. Darling was good against Melbourne, what was his excuse for not trying last Sunday?
You might not care about wins and losses but most supporters, coaches and the club does.

I can guarantee you that if we'd won 1 game this year but have a healthy percentage, the coach goes.
At the end of the day it's all about wins and losses.
Don't you get that?

Ridiculous argument about Darling.
If you want "make a statement" and drop an older player, it should be Sheed.

Dropping a player after 1 bad performance makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's agree to disagree because we're miles apart on this.

When we talk of senior players who have we got:

Gov - played well
Tommy B - played well
Tim Kelly - played well enough
Yeo - 1st game back after a couple of weeks out. Middling
Darling - low impact but we were literally starved of the ball
Cripps - suffered like Darling from lack of supply
Ryan - Missed a year of footy. Was poor with his disposal but actually looked the most likely to make something happen.
Sheed - consensus across the board is that he should be in the WAFL

We are shallow in the midfield , all our forwards looked shithouse, Ryan and Yeo need to continue blowing out cobwebs if the bodies are right and our senior backs are 1st and second picked each week.

I'm not sure what Simpson is supposed to do except for launching Dom into the sun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we talk of senior players who have we got:

Gov - played well
Tommy B - played well
Tim Kelly - played well enough
Yeo - 1st game back after a couple of weeks out. Middling
Darling - low impact but we were literally starved of the ball
Cripps - suffered like Darling from lack of supply
Ryan - Missed a year of footy. Was poor with his disposal but actually looked the most likely to make something happen.
Sheed - consensus across the board is that he should be in the WAFL

We are shallow in the midfield , all our forwards looked shithouse, Ryan and Yeo need to continue blowing out cobwebs if the bodies are right and our senior backs are 1st and second picked each week.

I'm not sure what Simpson is supposed to do except for launching Dom into the sun.

Oh cmon, Barrass and Gov got towelled up for the entire game, made look silly by gaurding space instead of manning up.

Crack me all you want but if you guys really feel these two guys played well then I am afraid all is lost. You saw them a lot because they were always in the picture standing on the mark or caught 5m from the player with the ball.

I am seriously watching a different game to some of you.

Did Darling actually play badly enough to get dropped? Even if he wasn’t coming off three goals and 12 tackles last week?
I only saw the first half, but looking at the stats, they weren't that bad considering the ball didn't get in there much.

Using greatwhiteshark's theory, Waterman should be first out I guess.

I actually thought Darling was one of a handful of players that was having a go on Sunday and that he was being swamped due to poor coaching and lack of a game plan and poor team structures. He had no-one at his feet to assist him.

I don’t want to watch it again to check.

I only saw the first half, but looking at the stats, they weren't that bad considering the ball didn't get in there much.

Using greatwhiteshark's theory, Waterman should be first out I guess.

It was a stella day, all played well. Thats the std we want set going forward. So far up to hear almost all of them had a pretty good day at the office.

Oh cmon, Barrass and Gov got towelled up for the entire game, made look silly by gaurding space instead of manning up.

Crack me all you want but if you guys really feel these two guys played well then I am afraid all is lost. You saw them a lot because they were always in the picture standing on the mark or caught 5m from the player with the ball.

I am seriously watching a different game to some of you.
If you reckon McGovern was poor after 25 possessions, 7 marks and 655 metres gained.

You sure are.

If you reckon McGovern was poor after 25 possessions, 7 marks and 655 metres gained.

You sure are.

Oh ffs, the ball lived down there. Walker and co towelled him and TB up. Now I know how you get your info, stats. Adelaide kicked 11 behinds and Gov took a majority of the kick ins so remove them as stats. 655 m gained is a crap stat, they use his kick ins to add them up. Oh cmon you have to be better than that.
The entire Adelaide forward line played better than any of our backline players and you think they played well.

We got torched in the midfield.

We did the same to Melbourne the week before and our forwards looked like rock stars and their defenders looked like they had never seen a football before.

Blaming the defenders for the failings of the midfield is not productive IMO.

We did the same to Melbourne the week before and our forwards looked like rock stars and their defenders looked like they had never seen a football before.

Yeah but we should drop Darling to send a message.

You guys just said Kelly was ok, Reid was good, Yeo was ok. How did we get torched when they all played so well.
Just because your midfield does get torched which it did doesn't mean you backman played well because they had it in there area so often.
We were guarding space almost all day, refused to pick up our man all day. and the Adelaide forward line had a birthday playing on unaccountable lazy backman and you say our backs played well.
Wow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back