Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good write up on Simpson

Covers off what he did in the US and why and the change needed on his coaching as we begin a new phase

Great that he’s trying new things, I hope that translates into game day selections, and more positive attacking footy.
No more 100 point losses or 10 goals down before half time, I know injuries etc, etc, etc.
Chinese year of the Dragon, lucky colours for the year are yellow and blue, we could do with a bit of luck.

Great that he’s trying new things, I hope that translates into game day selections, and more positive attacking footy.
No more 100 point losses or 10 goals down before half time, I know injuries etc, etc, etc.
Chinese year of the Dragon, lucky colours for the year are yellow and blue, we could do with a bit of luck.
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Good write up on Simpson

Covers off what he did in the US and why and the change needed on his coaching as we begin a new phase

Great to hear that the modern day coaches acknowledge they need to learn how to communicate with a younger group. What worked 10 years ago may not work now as well and we seem to have a new generation being defined every 10 to 15 years.

Lots to learn from the USA and Europe on how things are done differently. Some US colledge teams likely have bigger budgets than we are allowed to spend so they would be years ahead of what we do here. And the Premier League club budgets are 100 times what we spend.

"It feels like a list that is starting to grow together and build together, as opposed to last year, where I think we were thinking, 'Let's get (Shannon) Hurn back running, let's get 'Nic Nat' (Nic Naitanui) up, let's get Luke Shuey going, let's get the band back together and complement it with some kids'.

This did make me chuckle. Hadn't noticed Simmo

Great to hear that the modern day coaches acknowledge they need to learn how to communicate with a younger group. What worked 10 years ago may not work now as well and we seem to have a new generation being defined every 10 to 15 years.

Lots to learn from the USA and Europe on how things are done differently. Some US colledge teams likely have bigger budgets than we are allowed to spend so they would be years ahead of what we do here. And the Premier League club budgets are 100 times what we spend.
US College teams spend mega more. One doner to Uni of Missouri is $62M US (its for sport not education). 80k attendance at $2-500 a seat. Coach paid several time what Simmo is on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s not get carried away! I believe that unless Simmo shows some rapid improvement, Pyke will have his papers signed. Any decent manager would already have contingency plans already well in place, and I’m sure that Pyke does.
Well of course, if he can't deliver any improvement then it'd be reasonable to look for someone else, especially considering the amount of off field changes that have been made.

Well of course, if he can't deliver any improvement then it'd be reasonable to look for someone else, especially considering the amount of off field changes that have been made.
Yep every off field change under the sun bar the senior coach!
The buck used to stop with the senior coach.
Hefty contract payout had a big say in this.
It’s step up or * off time!

Yep every off field change under the sun bar the senior coach!
The buck used to stop with the senior coach.
Hefty contract payout had a big say in this.
It’s step up or * off time!
It used to, then Richmond did what no other club did before and changed the support staff instead of sacking the coach.

3 premierships later, clubs are thinking that just maybe they can try other changes first, instead of simply sacking the head coach.

Times change.

More interview with Simpson

This part focuses on what he wants our game style to be

Focus on contest, tackling and embracing chaos Saying all the right things about the gamestyle, finally. Its good to hear. Actually excited about going to the footy again, could be a fun year

Although...

giphy (15).gif

It used to, then Richmond did what no other club did before and changed the support staff instead of sacking the coach.

3 premierships later, clubs are thinking that just maybe they can try other changes first, instead of simply sacking the head coach.

Times change.
Someone tell Norf and Carltank

Can we create a poll?
Will Adam Simpson be WC’s coach in 2025.
Don't think so. When Gaff finally gets dropped to the WAFL then I can take Simmo a little more serious as a coach. Right now we have Gaff Cole Witherden and an underperforming Duggan in the line up. I want to see some of these seniors be shown the door. If not we are screwed and Simmo can go. We need games into younger players this season even if we done win many games. Same goes for Sheed. Perform or play WAFL

Don't think so. When Gaff finally gets dropped to the WAFL then I can take Simmo a little more serious as a coach. Right now we have Gaff Cole Witherden and an underperforming Duggan in the line up. I want to see some of these seniors be shown the door. If not we are screwed and Simmo can go. We need games into younger players this season even if we done win many games. Same goes for Sheed. Perform or play WAFL
So let have a think about this hey! Let's show these Seniors the door and take 4-5 wafl players into the line-up.
Firstly, that will leave a rather large hole in the wafl team to fill how?
Now we put these inexperienced players into the senior side to get smashed by hardened AFL players and annihilate their confidence and enthusiasm for the future ala Harley on the weekend. ( We are lucky he is living up to the hype) and set the rebuild back a few more years.
We need those AFL experienced players in the side to take the heat off the young guys we are already blooding.
It will take time to rise to the top again but let's do it properly, you just need to get used to losing for a while.

So let have a think about this hey! Let's show these Seniors the door and take 4-5 wafl players into the line-up.
Firstly, that will leave a rather large hole in the wafl team to fill how?
Now we put these inexperienced players into the senior side to get smashed by hardened AFL players and annihilate their confidence and enthusiasm for the future ala Harley on the weekend. ( We are lucky he is living up to the hype) and set the rebuild back a few more years.
We need those AFL experienced players in the side to take the heat off the young guys we are already blooding.
It will take time to rise to the top again but let's do it properly, you just need to get used to losing for a while.
Good points. Could add that 8 players on the weekend had played less than 20 afl games, 5 of those have played 0.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back