Rumour Adelaide Crows camp

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Burton doesn't seem like that much of a ****head. Got the opposite feeling.

Pyke meanwhile is one of these wanna be tough blokes, who says guff about how much they'll be hurting and how heads'll roll but ultimately nothing ever happens and his tough bloke teams end up being soft as butter. Not a unique trait these days for coaches but he's the one I'd be looking at.

After all didn't he used to just be a little twinkle toes for the Eagles?
1992 AFL Grand Final, West Coast vs. Geelong. This happened about 1½ minutes into the match.

He came back on

Mmwce

Senior List
Jan 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Guaranteed if renowned Crows apolagist/ nuffie is digging the boots into the club there will be a lot more to come from this

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Infodump of background info on camp for consideration.

Regarding the professional credibility of the setup:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...roup-that-ran-crows-camp-20180328-p4z6qt.html
Bond, who is still practising privately as a sports psychologist, says there is no listing of Woulfe or his right-hand man, Derek Leddie, on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency’s register of practitioners.

“He’s not a registered psychologist and he certainly doesn't have an endorsement,” Bond said.

On the website www.thesoulspace.com.au, Woulfe’s "qualifications and training" reads:

"Amon is trained in a range of coaching, assessment and training approaches, including Vertical Mindset Assessment and Coaching, Power Stage Assessment and Coaching, and more. He integrates these coaching approaches with extensive experience in the leadership field, and through a long-time involvement with the national masculinity and men’s work community."

But Bond said: “I’ve got no idea what any of that is any I’ve been in the game for over 40 years now.”

Regarding co-founder Amon Woulfe's credibility:
https://thechieflife.com/tcl-podcast-ep-76/
Amon comes from a diverse background, being born into a hippie community, living in over 60 dwellings including tents, caravans, housing and more. From a $130 Million start up to following his creative routes in music to now diving deep into mindset, Amon has battled adversity and become a true warrior from working through it.

Amon talks about being a warrior both physically and emotionally. He explains how we bring this to fruition through our 4 brains. Your head, heart, gut and testicles or ovaries, along with how you build the ability to up and down regulate those brains.

Amon explains the 5 main brainwaves and their functions.

Delta – Recovery

Theta – Creativity/Intuition (subconscious mind)

Alpha – Calm/Single focus/Athlete Zone (zone of peak focus)

Beta – Short term cognition/Simple processing/Fight or flight/Stress state

Gamma – Flow state
Relevant video from Woulfe's youtube channel:

Regarding co-founder Derek Leddie's psychology credentials:
https://www.ahri.com.au/stateconferences/adelaide/speakers
Derek Leddie is the former founder of multi-million market research group The Leading Edge. Derek brings a strong record of success from leading, high-performance and results driven businesses.

Derek built The Leading Edge from the ground up. He created and led a high performance senior team that delivered 15 years of 20 per cent plus growth. The business had a turnover of $36 million and a profit of $6.5 million before he sold the business in 2008. Derek spent the following five years utilising his extensive market research skills to study, analyse and practice non-conventional philosophies on driving mind performance and to explore the world of neuroscience.

Regarding the reputation of the 'Mankind Project' in the past:
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/naked-men-the-mankind-project-and-michael-scinto-6587139
Scinto initially agreed to sign up and pay the $650 for The ManKind Project's New Warrior Training Adventure several weeks earlier after hearing about it from his Alcoholics Anonymous sponsor, Kim Sawyer. Like everyone else who attended, Scinto was not told what the weekend would specifically entail. He signed several confidentiality contracts and liability waivers and filled out a medical questionnaire, but was promised all activities were voluntary and he could leave at any time. Plus, of course, he trusted his sponsor. Sawyer, a business coach who counsels corporate clients on how to run more effective businesses, had been Scinto's sponsor for about eight months. Sawyer joined The ManKind Project more than a decade earlier and sold the idea to Scinto, telling him it would be the best thing he could do for himself.

"So many of the character defects that eat you [sic] lunch can be replaced by strengths and skills and understandings you'll discover from this training. It will be the best Return on Investment you ever got," Sawyer wrote to Scinto in an e-mail before the initiation.

As Scinto became increasingly distraught at the retreat, staff members fetched Sawyer, who later told police that Scinto was crying and explained that he had unearthed a traumatic childhood memory. Sawyer told Scinto that leaving would be difficult and that it would be best if he expressed his thoughts and worries openly with the group.

In a letter to the sheriff's office, he detailed some of the rituals and activities he witnessed:

• Blindfolded walking tours in the nude;

• People blowing sage smoke in his face while 50 or so naked men danced around candles;

• Men sitting naked in a circle discussing their sexual histories while passing a wooden dildo called "The utensil";

• Naked men beating cooked chickens with a hammer.

At the end of the third and final day of the retreat, the leaders and staff members herded the initiates into the main room.

"They threatened us with imprisonment," wrote Scinto. "They said that if we were married to tell the wives we loved them. They told us not to discuss any of the process that we went through. Then they let us leave."

Fifteen days later, on July 25, 2005, Scinto's father and sister found him dead, rotting in his apartment from a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.

"They don't recruit in the classic sense," says Bob. "It's more subtle. They don't push it, but they reintroduce it to you every time they talk to you and suggest that you might want to try it. Members tell you it helped them clear up things from their past and allowed them to trust other men. And that's the hook. "

After researching the program on the Internet, Bob decided it wasn't for him. But that didn't mean he was free and clear of the group.
Bob was friends with a man attending his 12-step group who he considered extremely fragile. Members of The ManKind Project began "honing in" on him, says Bob, and he warned the man not to attend, fearing he might suffer psychological damage from the stressful program. When members of The ManKind Project learned of Bob's warning, they became angry.

"They went after me in subtle ways," says Bob. "People started gossiping about me in a negative way behind my back, and it became very uncomfortable to attend my (12-step) meetings. I had to change meetings, but even that wasn't very effective because members are in all the meetings. It's scary because they know all your secrets, and physical and emotional retaliation or blackmail is possible. It's like a virus here in Houston."
On Mankind Project philosophy:
https://mankindproject.org/phearing-phallus-sexuality-and-nudity-nwta/
Men have penises. The penis will be a part of any candid discussion about male sexuality. Men have unrealistic expectations and fears about their bodies, and especially their penises. A phallus is a metaphorical representation of that fear and insecurity. The fact that entire articles have been written about the ManKind Project with the focus on this symbol is evidence of just how frightening it is to many. The use of a wooden phallus as a ‘talking stick’ for a single process dealing directly with male sexuality on the NWTA has become sensationalized in some articles as if there is something unseemly or sexual going on, when in truth it is used simply as a metaphorical anchor for a very necessary discussion.

Regarding Collective Minds professional reputation in the present:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/mind-t...afl-camp/fb84f22e-95bc-40f0-ab11-f656d998b780
Australia's peak psychologist body has warned AFL clubs desperately seeking an edge over their competitors that they are putting the mental health of their players at risk if they use unqualified mind gurus.

The Australian Psychological Society (APS) issued the warning on the same day the company behind Adelaide's disastrous pre-season camp attempted damage control.

Last edited:

ThirtyFive

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club (SANFL)
Infodump of background info on camp for consideration.

Regarding the professional credibility of the setup:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...roup-that-ran-crows-camp-20180328-p4z6qt.html

Regarding co-founder Amon Woulfe's credibility:
https://thechieflife.com/tcl-podcast-ep-76/

Relevant video from Woulfe's youtube channel:

Regarding co-founder Derek Leddie's psychology credentials:
https://www.ahri.com.au/stateconferences/adelaide/speakers

Regarding the reputation of the 'Mankind Project' in the past:
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/naked-men-the-mankind-project-and-michael-scinto-6587139

Regarding Collective Minds professional reputation in the present:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/mind-t...afl-camp/fb84f22e-95bc-40f0-ab11-f656d998b780

.....sounds like a daily event at Nimbin. Sitting around naked blowing sage smoke in another bloke’s face. Pass the peace pipe, man....! Any volunteers? Sounds a real hoot!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Pyke meanwhile is one of these wanna be tough blokes, who says guff about how much they'll be hurting and how heads'll roll but ultimately nothing ever happens and his tough bloke teams end up being soft as butter. Not a unique trait these days for coaches but he's the one I'd be looking at.

Years of Ross Lyons coaching must be taking it's toll on you if you think Burton is the opposite of a dickhead.

Burton is football club poison.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The power stance had many levels. External as well as internal.

The external is the obvious intimidatory feature but also a sign of group unity.

But as mentioned the nerves and the enormity , or the internal, of the occasion demanded a centering and focus of the group to a task.

It would have been better to have been used after half time of the GF but until then it had done it's job

The other level is it's the funniest thing ever tried by a football club

ThirtyFive

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I am trying to visualise tex reaching over and dong a happy hand dance on Eddie betts. No wonder Eddy was so pissed off with the camp.

.....not to mention the blowing of sage smoke while holding the dildo named “The utensil” Wonder if Burton joined in?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Years of Ross Lyons coaching must be taking it's toll on you if you think Burton is the opposite of a dickhead.

Burton is football club poison.
I hate Ross Lyon, Steve Rosich, Chris Bond... Matt Tabener... all of them.

Why is Burton so hated?

ThirtyFive

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Why is Burton so hated?

Let’s see. “Glass jaw” syndrome, can’t accept criticism, poor people management skills, narcissistic behavioural traits, over-rated, and, throw in for good measure, a nepotistic outlook of staffing and no respect amongst the playing group.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Why is Burton so hated?
I don't hate Burton. I just think he's grossly underqualified for his role as GM.

This is how his time at the Crows has played out recently.

- He was a fitness manager at the Lions while they were racked with injury.
- The Crows demoted Nick Poulos, a significantly more qualified fitness coach in favor of Burton. He leaves.
- Our hamstring's immediately start pinging in early 2017 but resolve in the later stage of the year so everybody forgets.
- After one semi-decent season, Burton is promoted to GM despite all of his experience being in fitness.
- Burton oversees footy dept. in charge of pre-season camp debacle. A total cluster * of epic proportions.
- Our 2018 is racked with soft-tissue injuries, notably hamstrings.
- Burton and Pyke have ridiculous press conference regarding CM which creates more questions than it answers.
- Injury Management in 2018 was border-line negligent. Sloane and Tex both were played with injured feet, Brad Crouch's surgery was unnecessarily delayed.

Burton is a liability.

Last edited:

ThirtyFive

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I don't hate Burton. I just think he's grossly underqualified for his role as GM.

This is how his time at the Crows has played out recently.

- He was a fitness manager at the Lions while they were racked with injury.
- The Crows demoted Nick Poulos, a significantly more qualified fitness coach in favor of Burton. He leaves.
- Our hamstring's immediately start pinging in early 2017 but resolve in the later stage of the year so everybody forgets.
- After one semi-decent season, Burton is promoted to GM despite all of his experience being in fitness.
- Burton oversees footy dept. in charge of pre-season camp debacle. A total cluster **** of epic proportions.
- Our 2018 is racked with soft-tissue injuries, notably hamstrings.
- Burton and Pyke have ridiculous press conference regarding CM which creates more questions than it answers.
- Injury Management in 2018 was border-line negligent. Sloane and Tex both were played with a injured feet, Brad Crouch's surgery was unnecessarily delayed.

Burton is a liability.

This is why the overall management of injuries should be the total domain of the AFC’s medical staff, e.g Dr Marc Cessna. Burton is nothing more than a glorified personal trainer. The sooner AFL clubs return decision making on medical matters to the Doctors they’ve appointed, the better.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

What on earth are you on about?!??

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s also, you know, football. Sure it’s involving $200,000 salaries and then some and all this attention but fundamentally no one was hurt by this loss - probably some dickhead drinking himself stupid after it, but I’d say more Richmond fans had issues than Crows ones.

That’s my issue with this sort of coach: this self-styled alpha male who is a dangerous combination of arrogance and attitude. You see it with guys like James Hird too, and Goodwin at Melbourne and Pyke (who was a little squib as a player, by the way) who take this s**t to the extreme. You lack any sort of self-awareness or ability to think outside footy as it’s all you’ve known and the only thing you’ve been told you’re good at.

Any person with a shred of intelligence would go ‘what the **** is this wanky new age, culty s**t?’ or even a bogan on a list would say ‘that sounds pretty gay!’ Ultimately this is just football. Why would you do anything like this? Make people cry and come up with weird hypotheticals about people dying or how you’d react to this or that...

****in idiots.

You’re gonna get a better reaction to a loss if you pretend you’re the Kalgoorlie Cats and take off to Kosa Nui for two weeks drinking Thai buckets. Literally. You’ll get more bonding out drinking and holidaying than almost anything else: laughing, working out how to tell someone it’s their round and they’re a tight arse, trying to get back home pissed... I’m not joking.
Yeah this is the problem with footy, and some clubs and/or their coaches.

Adelaide lost that game because Richmond were better than them on the day. Maybe they weren't as switched on as the Tigers, but I don't think that is to blame for such a margin in the end.

Pretty clear to me that Adelaide neglected to care about these players on an human level by sending them off with these weirdos.

It's funny because Buckley used to be like this when he started at the Pies. Wasn't sending them off to Collective Minds, but there was a clear disconnect between Buckley and some players because he came in and was incredibly serious and strict on the players. Fast forward to now and he's changed his ways and he seems to have a playing group that genuinely likes him.

It's an absolutely laughable decision really. Maybe they didn't do their research properly or something. If they did then Burton and Pyke are ******* morons if they think a team of young blokes are going to all respond well to mental torment and * knows what else went on at the camp. What an absolutely great way to move on from falling short in a grand final and moving on to 2018.

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Can you please show a quote where the club said it was Collective Mind? Bet you can't find one. Another media assumption.
Not one word spoken about the power stance negatively during our first two finals. Why was that?
Not true mate, I'm not one to go to other teams boards but if you had have last year, you would have seen many punters having a giggle at the stance before the GF, me included.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Nothing to see Crows cleared

The Adelaide Football Club has accepted the AFL’s findings following a thorough investigation into its pre-season training camp held earlier this year.

As previously stated, the Club acknowledges there were oversights during the running of the Gold Coast-based training exercise, and in turn several learnings.

The investigation, conducted by the League’s integrity unit, found there was no breach of industry rules.

Back