Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, agree.

We go to most of this stuff to show the support it deserves.

The Wallabies World Cup game (back in 2003) was awesome and the socceroos vs NZ was amazing as well.

Would certainly go to a EPL game or a big club vs Adelaide United. But I don't think our state government would even try.
With a new stadium to show off there'll be a greater chance. Not a good form record though.

With a new stadium to show off there'll be a greater chance. Not a good form record though.

Oh for sure.

New stadium + marketing and promotional money = success.

As a state, we are our worst enmity and allow that perception of little old Adelaide to get in the way if even trying to compete with some of that stuff.

Home plate in front of the Riverbank Stand. Heaps of areas over the outfield fence for spectator decks etc. No worries about the ball bouncing off the pitches differently to the rest of the outfield like at the SCG.
Perhaps we work our way up - the ARU is looking at mid-level Wallabies Tests (better teams than the Pacific Islands). I like the idea of a bigger Football club coming and playing the Reds or the Socceroos or the A-League All-Stars (preferably one of the former two). Perhaps an NFL game?
What are the limits? I'm keen. Will go to anything to support this concept.
Oval is the wrong shape unfortunately to have MLB come here. I don't think you can get long enough foul ball lines with the river bank stand behind, or depth if they go with the eastern behind. Plus ultimately it will be too long for the hill to have any effect.

Oval is the wrong shape unfortunately to have MLB come here. I don't think you can get long enough foul ball lines with the river bank stand behind, or depth if they go with the eastern behind. Plus ultimately it will be too long for the hill to have any effect.
What size field do they use at Norwood Oval, especially for the foul lines? If they use a full-size field there then it'd fit at AO.
You've got 50,000 seats without the hill - I'm sure we can cope not having the hill. Put fan decks in front of it.

From memory Norwood had short foul lines, so anything down the foul line could be a HR easily. Its pretty similar in dimension to AO.

You might be able to get away with it at the Oval, but the problem is timing. Both Port and the Crows would have to play away again in the first week and the shield final would need to be moved if we had it.

The other problem with having socceroos matches is we'd have to have them during the middle of the year during footy season, which can put a bit of stress onto the oval - as has been seen in Perth when they have Rugby internationals. Do-able, but not ideal. During cricket season they'd have to put up with pitches on the oval of course.

MLB and NFL are the two I think are unobtainable for Adelaide oval.
The distance to the fence would be shorter than the shortest in the MLB. Adelaide Oval is too skinny for proper MLB games.
NFL might come to Australia, but they're more focused on image on an international scale. "Sydney" sells more than "Adelaide", "Melbourne" or anything else.
It'll be Sydney or nothing with NFL.

Soccer is the one we need to focus on. Get a big 5 EPL, big 3 Serie A, big 2 La Liga, Big 1 Bundesliga and it's sold out instantly.
If we can't get Liverpool/Manchester United/Manchester City/Arsenal/Chelsea/AC Milan/Inter Milan/Juventus/Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich here, we need to gun for Rugby Union internationals. After that, wont matter. We wont get big Socceroo games, and no one will care enough about Rugby League.

Needs to be either one of the 11 big clubs named above, or a major Union international.

The $40m was never part of the Adelaide Oval development and therefore was never paid to the SMA. As per the Auditor General's report, they are required to report on every dollar spent and the $40m has never been reported.

See the latest report

http://www.audit.sa.gov.au/publications/12-13/other/Report February 2014.pdf

From what I have been told the $40m was paid to the Adelaide Convention Centre as they are responsible for the Riverbank precinct.

Yeah what part of 'Add on the extra $40mil for the foot bridge though' didn't you understand. I never said it was included in the $535mil for the oval. I said it was another expense added on outside the development of the Oval.

I thought it increased to $575 million? Plus, I did say the whole "precinct", including the $40 million bridge and the new cricket area and function rooms out the back which would have been $20-30 million. So somewhere in between $6-700 million.

The function centre/ cricket training facility are covered in the Oval budget. Only the Foot bridge and precinct around that are outside the SMA budget allocation.

From memory Norwood had short foul lines, so anything down the foul line could be a HR easily. Its pretty similar in dimension to AO.

You might be able to get away with it at the Oval, but the problem is timing. Both Port and the Crows would have to play away again in the first week and the shield final would need to be moved if we had it.
I reckon you could get 90m foul lines at AO - only 10m shorter than SCG and not much shorter than some MLB parks.
Oh well, pipe dream!

Just thinking then.
Could they go across the field.
Have home plare on the eastern or western side?
Could give normal left and right field distances.

Centre field would be shorter than normal though..... :/

jtWonTk.png

Based on my 90m foul lines I mentioned before:

Number 1 would be problems looking into sun for fielders, reversed would be problems looking into sun for batters
Number 2 gives optimal viewing from the highest percentage of seats
Number 3 would work pretty well.

I would love it. It would be awesome but don't see Adelaide (the city and state) having the guts to pull something like this off.

We should try and get an outdoor NHL game for the Adelaide Oval for late October. That would be epic.
You are aware those NHL games outdoors are WINTER classics. Winter being the imperative word, and anyway the NHL will never play a game down here in Australia.

You are aware those NHL games outdoors are WINTER classics. Winter being the imperative word, and anyway the NHL will never play a game down here in Australia.
Don't be such a downer, it could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather have an NFL game in February, just off the Edithburgh coast.

The only problem would be the excessive water on the field causing an incessant turning over on downs.

I'd love a Stadium Series game to be played at Adelaide Oval, but it'd never happen, the NHL have absolutely no interest Down under. Also, it'd be attended by about 30 people.

Regards AO and parking , went to the adjacent Uni ovals to watch a cricket final on sunday, there was a very minor community event on at the time aswell, and even though the Adelaide city council knew all ovals were in use , decided in their wisdom to block half the nearby roads off , well done idiots, my mistrust in the ACC's nous to manage its parking issues on football days has again been given substance . While were at it , even with free ( to the traveller ) fare's bribes the state government is pleading with patrons to use public transport , after last weeks threat by transport unions to strike this weekend , I wonder why ? , I will use this opportunity to again state , relying on public transport to fix the publics travelling issues with AO , without taking measures to expand the available car parking spaces directly by the oval , is going to cause trouble/cost money forever and a day ! , remember good old Adelaide is NOT Sydney,London or New York , and thank god for that !.

Regards AO and parking , went to the adjacent Uni ovals to watch a cricket final on sunday, there was a very minor community event on at the time aswell, and even though the Adelaide city council knew all ovals were in use , decided in their wisdom to block half the nearby roads off , well done idiots, my mistrust in the ACC's nous to manage its parking issues on football days has again been given substance . While were at it , even with free ( to the traveller ) fare's bribes the state government is pleading with patrons to use public transport , after last weeks threat by transport unions to strike this weekend , I wonder why ? , I will use this opportunity to again state , relying on public transport to fix the publics travelling issues with AO , without taking measures to expand the available car parking spaces directly by the oval , is going to cause trouble/cost money forever and a day ! , remember good old Adelaide is NOT Sydney,London or New York , and thank god for that !.

You got your disabled car park yet mate?

You do know - they once said, man would never walk on the moon. and they also play those games in California.

I imagine that could be crazily expensive though, plus they'll be doing it in the middle of winter I assume? Not October in Adelaide.

All true and was only ever an idea.

However, once upon a time the MLB in Sydney would have only been a dream.

Only TSW seemed to be having a crack, the other three you jumped at shadows.

Nope, they are just more subtle about it. It's been said, they know. They won't admit it but they know the context before that statement.

Back on track please, guys.

My reading here is that it was a rather profound misunderstanding. Let's just put it behind us and stick to discussing the topic.

No misunderstanding but it seems over now.

We can move on.

No misunderstanding but it seems over now.

We can move on.
Can we get back down to business now?

Adelaide oval is going to be massive for football in SA. I've got a front row seat and can't wait to get down there and see it packed to capacity for myself!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back