Preview Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Friday 19/07/19, 7:50 AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Adelaide: Had a 95 point win against the hapless Gold Coast to get a much needed percentage booster, kicking 12 goals to 2 in the first half before easing up due to the 6 day break for this week. Matt Crouch was excellent with 36 disposals and 7 clearances whilst Eddie Betts kicked 6 goals with his 20 touches and Josh Jenkins 4.

Essendon: The Dons stole Victory from the jaws of defeat against North Melbourne, with Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti winning the game with his 4th goal when there was 30 seconds left whilst Zach Merrett stepped into captaincy well, collecting the ball 34 times and having 6 clearances, Dylan Clarke also a feature by keeping Ben Cunnington to 15 touches and 2 clearances.

Head to Head (last 5)

Adelaide 4-1 Essendon

Form Guide

Adelaide: 3W 2L
Essendon: 4W 1L

Sportsbet odds

Adelaide: $1.45
Essendon: $2.62
Line: 5.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Adelaide vs Essendon

B: Aaron Francis - Cale Hooker - Adam Saad

F: Darcy Fogarty - Taylor Walker - Eddie Betts
HB: Martin Gleeson - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Mason Redman
HF: Lachlan Murphy - Josh Jenkins - Tyson Stengle
C: Andrew McGrath - Dylan Clarke - Zach Merrett
C: Rory Atkins - Brad Crouch - Paul Seedsman
HF: Jake Stringer - Mitchell Brown - Matt Guelfi
HB: Jake Kelly - Alex Keath - Brodie Smith
F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Shaun McKernan - Jayden Laverde
B: Luke Brown - Daniel Talia - Kyle Hartigan
R: Zach Clarke - Dylan Shiel - Dyson Heppell
R: Riley O'Brien - Matthew Crouch - Rory Sloane
I: Darcy Parish - Conor McKenna - Kyle Langford - David Zaharakis
I: Wayne Milera - Riley Knight - Rory Laird - Hugh Greenwood

Essendon in: Dyson Heppell, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher; Out: Orazio Fantasia (inj), Michael Hurley (inj)
Adelaide in: Darcy Fogarty; Out: David Mackay

Adelaide defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon are ranked 10th in the AFL in terms of goals per inside 50 entry, getting one 21.6% of the time it enters the 50. Adelaide's defence is one of their biggest strengths, conceding a goal 19.5% of the time it enters defensive 50, 4th overall in the AFL. Shaun McKernan will finally break one of the oddest stats I've seen in the AFL, this will be the first time he plays either of the clubs he's played for, and will be going head-to-head with great mate Daniel Talia, one of the best lock down defenders of the modern era. Mitchell Brown and Jake Stringer are likely to have Alex Keath and Jake Kelly for company respectively, whilst dangerous Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti probably gets Luke Brown for company.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon are 5th for overall clearance differential and 10th for contested possession differential, Adelaide ranking in 8th and 5th in these stats respectively. Essendon currently have five players in their side who average 3 or more clearances a game in Dylan Shiel, Zachary Merrett, Dyson Heppell, Darcy Parish and Dylan Clarke, all bar Clarke averaging 8 or more contested possessions a game as well, whilst Adelaide have Rory Sloane, Brad Crouch, Matt Crouch, Riley O'Brien and Hugh Greenwood all averaging 3 or more clearances, the same 5 averaging 8 or more contested possessions as well, which indicates it will be a tight race in the middle, so the midfield battle may well come down to the outside run of the likes of Andrew McGrath, David Zaharakis and Matthew Guelfi against that of Rory Atkins, Paul Seedsman and Riley Knight. Rucks wise, O'Brien should be able to outpoint Zach Clarke but seems to be slowing down somewhat late in the season which advantages the Bombers.

Adelaide forward line vs Essendon defence

Adelaide kick a goal 22.6% of the time it enters forward 50, ranking them 6th in the AFL. Essendon conced a goal 19.7% of the time it enters their defensive 50, ranking at 5th overall so far this year. Adelaide's forward line has been below par this year, only Eddie Betts on track for 40+ goals this season and Adam Saad looks likely to wear him like a glove, the star hasn't kicked a goal the last two times he's played Essendon after a few years of complete domination over the men in red and black. Taylor Walker is the probable match up for Cale Hooker whilst Brandon Zerk-Thatcher seems likely to replace Michael Hurley for his debut to play on Josh Jenkins, impressive young forwards Lachlan Murphy and Tyson Stengle likely to get attention from Mason Redman and Martin Gleeson respectively.

X-Factor Player

Tyson Stengle finally got his chance at AFL level against Gold Coast and lit it up with 3 goals against an admittedly weak side but should be playing consistently for Adelaide from here.

Key stat

Adelaide: Clearances. Adelaide usually win when they get on top in the middle and with quality like Brad and Matt Crouch, as well as Rory Sloane, you can understand why.

Essendon: Inside 50 differential. Essendon can really tighten the screws by denying Adelaide ball in there.

Tip

Dunno why but I feel like we'll win. Dons by 5

Last edited:
In: Hartley Heppell
Out : Hurley (inj) Guelfi

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is going to be a tough one. A bruising encounter and a 6-day break might mean we're a bit sore through the week. We have a nice 9-day break after this so I hope we give it everything.

I’ve been pretty confident we beat them for a while now, but with the injuries continuing to pile up I’m not as confident anymore.

I am not even going to watch ten seconds of their game against the Gold Coast this evening - a complete waste of time.

We have tuned up with three tough, backs to the wall victories in a row. They are playing an EDFL standard team tonight and demolishing them, as expected. Last week they were destroyed by Port, who I reckon are on a very similar level to us.

It will be a very tough game on their home turf.

Adelaide are on 9-7 like us... and now 10% ahead.

They've played Gold Coast twice this year for two wins - margins of 73 points & 95 points.

We haven't played them at all.

If this game was in Melbourne and even with our injuries, I would be confident. Over there? Different proposition but not mission impossible.

I think we definitely need a fast start. Keep the crowd quiet and maybe take advantage of them playing sub-standard opposition last week so it might take them a little bit to adjust to real pressure again.

Walker could be a real problem matchup for us with Hurley and Ambrose both out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In : Heppell, Hartley, Mynott.
OUT : Hurley, Langford, Fantasia.

I do think Raz is carrying ( AGAIN!). Mynott was close to a call up earlier in the year I think and then got injured. Has been in good form while the attention has been on Snelling.

I do think Raz is carrying ( AGAIN!). Mynott was close to a call up earlier in the year I think and then got injured. Has been in good form while the attention has been on Snelling.

Raz was probably the reason we won just as much as Tippa. He was the one that got to the ball when it was at it's hottest and kicked it to Tippa's area. Raz is a lifter even when he's not kicking goals.

I know he shot it down but could him wanting to go back to SA be affecting his performance?

Raz was probably the reason we won just as much as Tippa. He was the one that got to the ball when it was at it's hottest and kicked it to Tippa's area. Raz is a lifter even when he's not kicking goals.

Yes, I saw the game. But, I still getting the feeling Razzle might be carrying an injury.

That or he is not 100% fit. If it's because of wanting to go home, best leave him in Melbourne!

I don't how he could get home sick when Adelaide is 2 hours away.

You then look at a bloke like McKenna who came all the way from the other side of the world to play this game and showing no signs of wanting to back home.

Hope Heppell can get up for this - his experience around the ball will be crucial. At this stage I'd have;-

OUT: Hurley, Fanta
IN: Margaret, Heppell

Francis Hooker McKenna
Gleeson Margaret Saad
Merrett Shiel McGrath
Laverde Brown Parish
McKernan Stringer Tippa

Z.Clarke Heppell D.Clarke

Bench: Redman Zakka Langford Guelfi

If young Dylan Clarke can do a shut down job on one of the Crouch brothers then we are in with a chance I reckon...comon Bombers..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back