Preview Round 8: Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 26/07/2020, 1:05 PM AEST

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Then how about last year, where he averaged 9.4 hitouts to advantage and a rate of 36.9%? His first two games this year he had 18 HOA at a rate of 32.1%. That's the problem with the data off so few games, one game shifts things completely. Reilly O'Brien is great around the ground and neither Phillips nor Bellchambers will do anything to stop that but he isn't a great "tap" ruckman so I'm guessing we're trying to take advantage of that.
So your argument is because both will get beaten around the ground, there is no harm in playing the one that does absolutely nothing. No more stats from previous years, they're not relevant. Bellchambers is NOT that player anymore. Small sample size yes, but watch his games, scratch matches included. No second efforts and no marking option around the ground. When you watch the games, the only time you see Bellchambers is at a hitout.

The argument is that Phillips (while also not great) offers more around the ground and can provide a contest, lay tackles and be a presence. Not a bad trade-off for losing avg 2 hitouts compared to Bellchambers.

Hitouts to advantage can be slightly useful if you actually have a good midfield. Which we donā€™t.

Not to mention itā€™s a rubbery stat.
Tap ruckmen and midfields are so over rated. All we need is catapult run off half back and skyscraper kicks into the forward line on top of Tippaā€™s head. After all, Seems to be good enough to win us every second game over the last few years* (*barring finals that is)

We are basically going to be playing with one less man. TBC just taps the ball, and nothing else. At least Phillips provides a contest around the ground.
Like what many other posters in this thread are saying, would TBC have subdued the effect of Grundy two weeks ago? No way! He is too slow to keep up.
At least Phillips is mobile and can to some extent provide a contest against O'Brien around the ground. On top of this, keeping Phillips in the team would build his confidence, But No, in typical Essington fashion we will drop a player after a few games to fk up his confidence in lieu of TBC who is a has-been.

Then on top of all this, we are going with a short forward line/team.

This isn't anything new. We have been making weird selection decisions for many years. I'm getting fed up lol

Should have offered Ryder more, he only picked the Saints for more money.
Pretty much. I'd take Tom Hickey at this point and I do not rate Hickey one iota.

Not sure what you guys are worried about, ROB is an average tap ruckman at best.

And on the unlikely chance we do win the tap we still won't win the clearance because we don't have a midfield.

So your argument is because both will get beaten around the ground, there is no harm in playing the one that does absolutely nothing. No more stats from previous years, they're not relevant. Bellchambers is NOT that player anymore. Small sample size yes, but watch his games, scratch matches included. No second efforts and no marking option around the ground. When you watch the games, the only time you see Bellchambers is at a hitout.

The argument is that Phillips (while also not great) offers more around the ground and can provide a contest, lay tackles and be a presence. Not a bad trade-off for losing avg 2 hitouts compared to Bellchambers.
My argument is that Bellchmbers is good at ONE area of modern ruckwork currently, as opposed to Phillips being good at NONE.
Itā€™s some solid list management that has you going into a season with one - one - fit AFL standard ruckman. And thatā€™s Andrew Phillips.
Phillips isn't an AFL standard ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My argument is that Bellchmbers is good at ONE area of modern ruckwork currently, as opposed to Phillips being good at NONE.

Except he's not. Currently would be this season.

And as I've said repeatedly less than 2 effective hit outs more isn't a sign of him being currently better than Phillips.

And before you quote it again, no Ethan last year or earlier does not count as current.

Phillips brings a bit of bit of effort - as seen v Grundy & Goldy (2 of the better rucks in the comp)
He made English look like a superstar last week though.

Our ruck stocks are deplorable at the moment. The eggs in one basket approach on Draper makes me nervous.

We are the exact type of 'nuff' team to lose this game... and give Adelaide their first (and potentially only) win of the season.

It will either pan out this way or we will do everything possible to lose it... despite potentially just hanging on.

Lowest collective IQ of any team in the competition. You can already smell the complacency from across the border.

Except he's not. Currently would be this season.

And as I've said repeatedly less than 2 effective hit outs more isn't a sign of him being currently better than Phillips.

And before you quote it again, no Ethan last year or earlier does not count as current.
Okay, he has one viable skill as shown in 2 of 3 games this season, whereas Phillips has none as shown in 2 of 3 games this year.
Phillips brings a bit of bit of effort - as seen v Grundy & Goldy (2 of the better rucks in the comp)
He made English look like a superstar last week though.

Our ruck stocks are deplorable at the moment. The eggs in one basket approach on Draper makes me nervous.
Phillips was completely and utterly demolished by Goldy. No ifs or buts about it. For all his plaudits against Grundy, Grundy was still comfortably Collingwood's best player, and as I said, if Bellchambers put up that game against English there'd be riots.

We are the exact type of 'nuff' team to lose this game... and give Adelaide their first (and potentially only) win of the season.

It will either pan out this way or we will do everything possible to lose it... despite potentially just hanging on.

Lowest collective IQ of any team in the competition. You can already smell the complacency from across the border.
Grateful for this post - was feeling it was about time we moved away from the ruck debate and went back to talking about how probable it is that the crows will roll us

Nah, heā€™s not out of place on an AFL list, if only as a backup.
Yes he is. His last 8 games his opponent has averaged 19.75 disposals and 5 marks. Including some stellar players like Tom Hickey and, oh, Reilly O'Brien.

Youā€™re totally right but Iā€™m not even sure a loss here would be completely nutjob Essington loss.

On paper this week weā€™re plain old s**t. Injuries have really bitten.

Ambrose, Daniher, Fantasia, Stringer, Heppell, Shiel, Hooker and Stewart is an ugly injury list in terms of talent and structure.

In terms of whoā€™s actually playing... Francis, McKenna and Gleeson have all had very recent interruptions and are not near 100% here.

Itā€™s extremely arguable whether Snelling, Townsend, Hibberd and Cahill belong on an AFL field.

Yet a few others are out of form.

Weā€™re in very bad shape atm.

Not sure what you guys are worried about, ROB is an average tap ruckman at best.

And on the unlikely chance we do win the tap we still won't win the clearance because we don't have a midfield.
We donā€™t have a midfield either atm

Youā€™re totally right but Iā€™m not even sure a loss here would be completely nutjob Essington loss.

On paper this week weā€™re plain old sh*t. Injuries have really bitten.

We are unreliable/flaky even with a full list. This would be no 'guaranteed win' even with zero players on the injury list.

It's an inept culture of complacency that has been around for countless years now. Have we been a good side in any of those years? No. But there has still been enough talent on the park to win these sorts of games when we are expected to.

I've read a couple of posts in this thread when scanning through earlier (some from Crows fans) laughing at the fact that we can even consider them a big/likely chance to win this game. Let's have a quick revisit of recent clashes against the down & out 'bottom' club...

Round 19 2019 - Gold Coast (18th) vs Essendon - US by 10 points (after the Suns, on a 13 game losing streak, led by 2 points with 90 seconds left on the clock)
Round 11 2019 - Carlton (18th) vs Essendon - US by 41 points
Round 8 2019 - Sydney (18th) vs Essendon - SWANS by 5 points
Round 8 2018 - Carlton (18th) vs Essendon - BLUES by 13 points
Round 3 2018 - Western Bulldogs (18th) vs Essendon - BULLDOGS by 21 points
Round 15 2017 - Brisbane (18th) vs Essendon - LIONS by 8 points

Now that right there... is flaky. It's an embarrassing record, that with injuries or not, is a major chance to continue tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back