Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Brisbane end up with both Cameron and Lachie Neale?

Isn't Neale from Adelaide?

Says a lot that the Crows couldn't land him.

Absolute rabble with absolutely no clue about talent.
The story with Neale is that he left Perth as it was a fishbowl and absolutely had no desire to head to another fishbowl. Was always going to a non AFL dominant state.

Any reason why you picked out the Crows and ignored Port? We are in the same state.

I love a good pile on but some of this is dramatic garbage. I'm sure they'll rebuild and be back in contention within 7 years like most well-run clubs in the AFL.
The trolls will always come out in force in times like this. Plenty of good discussion in here and there are severe problems with our admin right now that need to be addressed, but look how quickly a shakeup at clubs like the Bulldogs and Brisbane netted positive results on field.

There is more shakeup required on and off field at the club which will hopefully happen at the end of the season, I don’t see us realistically even being in the race for finals until 2022, but more likely 2023. Not talking about being a premiership chance either, just making finals will be a start. It didn’t take the Eagles too long to contend for finals again after winning the wooden spoon, things can change quickly if can nail a few key moves. Time will tell but I have to remain optimistic things will get better, otherwise what’s the point in watching?

Port supporters must be loving this.

Sitting top with a bright future, compared with Adelaide sitting at the bottom and currently unravelling.
A bit like 2012 for Crows fans when they had Primus as coach. There are a few on here who can engage in a serious discussion about our current situation, but most will just pile on. Most Crows supporters would be lying if they say they wouldn’t do the same!

this makes no sense. you think freo hoped he would stay for one more year but then were happy to let him walk to brisbane. then you state you needed more tall forwards but go out of your way to mention hogan wasn't the only one you got, given you got Lobb.

surely your biggest issue is your midfield. Mundy is old now, probably his last season. Brayshaw is good but will need time. Cerra is on the HBF and might not convert into the winger people thought he would be. So now you have conca running through there.

surely the answer was to keep Neale at all cost. he's an all australian midfielder. they don't grow on trees and they're rare.

Neale is more valuable to Freo than Hogan or Lobb or anyone else.
Ok did you read my last post in detail.....

Put it this way.....

Freo finished 14th and got pick 5.

The original trade was Lachie Neale and Pick 30 for picks 6, 19 and 55.

Say if Freo kept him for one more year. And look where freo finished in 2019: 13th and got pick 6 for it.

Now.... Say if Lachie Neale left as a free agent in 2019 to Brisbane and offered a 5 year deal at $700-800,000 a year. Dead certain that compo pick would of been a pick 7. Sure as hell it wont be pick 20.

I wont deny freos weakness is the midfield.... However.... Key Position players take a long time to develop. 3-5 years for some of them. Looking at Freos tall defenders. Alex Pearce at 198cm and 95 kg is out best KPD when fully fit. Joel Hamling was from the 2011 draft. 3 years at Geelong (2012-14) No games. 23 games for the dogs (2015-6) and one of them was the 2016 AFL grand final. He has played 60 games for freo from 2017-19. Logue is in his 4th year and has shown to be a decent CHB. Duman has played 25 odd games and is 192cm. Brennan cox is 193 cm and 90 kg and can play both CHB and CHF.

As for the rucks. Darcy when fully fit is out best ruckman. Played only 25 games from 2017-19 as we slowly eased out Sandilands. Lloyd Meek is another 200 cm ruck and is 22 years old. Should of got a debut game last year when he played well in the WAFL. Almost certain to debut this week. Rory Lobb is a FF ruck. I rather him play FF and kick 30 goals and average 10 hitouts a game than play him as a ruck and average 20 hitouts a game.

As for the Forwards. Yes we all know what Jesse Hogan is capable of. Matt Taberner is our John butcher: 197 cm and 90 kg. Is a very good mark but set shot is 50-50. kicked 2 goals on the weekend. Last 3 years, he has had a solid half of footy only to get a season ending injury.

Cam McCarthy is a very good 2nd tall at CHF or on a forward flank. I dont care if Lobb or Hogan or taberner plays full forward and gets double teamed if McCarthy kicks 3-4 goals.

Now you talked about mids. I wont deny the problem with our midfield. Yeah we lost Ed Langdon to Melbourne and Brad Hill to the saints, But I will get to him in a minute. Happy to get James Aish on a wing.

As far as I know, Brad Hill Left for 2 reasons. one of them was his lady wanted to go back to Victora. the other reason was money. When hill signed that 5 year deal at the dockers at the end of 2016, it was $500,000 a year but front loaded. So.... $700,000 a year for 2017 and 2018, then $500,000 a year for 2019. Then only $300,000 in 2020 and 2021. Your mob decided to go crazy and offered him $900,000 a year for 5-6 years. Like hell Brad Hill was going to turn that contract down, that was like tearing upp a lottery ticket. I didnt expect 2 1st rounders to be honest, but was happy with the trade outcome.

That drop in 2016, I knew it was a long road back and knew it was going to be a 4-6 year rebuild. 2016 got KPPS in Logue, darcy, cox and duman in the Rookie draft.

2017 was all mids: Brayshaw, Banfield, Cerra, Crowden and Giro. Scott Jones was a mature aged KPF/ruck in which I wished freo didnt get rid of last year.

Brayshaw was solid, but no way a top 2 pick. Pick 10 definately but I hope he plays 200 games for us. Cerra has the talent to play inside and outside mid. Banfield is a 190cm and 90 kg mid who in 2018 was averaging 15 disposals a game. Not bad for a 1st year mature ager thats 20 years old in 2018. Crowden is another fringe mid like tom sheridan or cam sutcliffe. Stefan Giro is a wing/forward flanker, he just recently came back from a 12 month knee injury.

So we got some mids in the 2018 draft that are 18-20 years old and now are 21-23. Some are in the best 22, some are rotated depth. Thats expected. The sad thing is, buy the time all those mids hit 24-25, fyfe and walters will be 30-31 years old.

But on a serious note, Neale won the Freo BnF in 16 and 18 and was runner up in 17. Freo knew how good he was.
Again.... tightness of the cap back in 2016 and 2017. I wont deny how good he was at freo. Look at the situation.

Remember when Fyfe was a free agent in the end of 2017? All the news whether he was going to leave..... to the saints of all teams.

Then the AFL revealed the next years salary cap, which was an increase of 2 million. We all know what happened with fyfe, stayed at freo until 2023 at 1 million a year. Dusty Martin was a free agent too.

The grand final was what it was for Adelaide.
The camp however, seems to have been the breaking point.
The handling of the fallout from the camp by club management was even worse.
And here we are today ...

Two and a half years later...

Sure, nobody quite expected this level of insipidness from the Crows (nobody expected the pandemic either, or knows how it has mentally and physically affected each individual player), but nobody expected them to be good, did they? With the off-season exodus of (mostly past-their-prime or heavily flawed) players, weren't most people tipping Adelaide to be a bottom 6 side pre-season anyway? Those that weren't need to take a look at Adelaide's list, and realise it's not 2017 anymore.

Their players in the prime age group (25-29 years of age) mostly seem to be defenders, or half back/wing types, with a few blokes who are borderline or not best 22 in there as well.

1592831494381.png
1592831469342.png
There's 4 former All-Australians in that group, but overall, it's not really a prime set to get especially excited about TBH.

They really need a few more from that next age group down (22-24, 4th-6th season mostly) to kick on this year:

1592831494381.png
1592831697900.png

What's holding that group back? Is it opportunity? Talent? Mindset? Coaching? A lot of those guys are shaping as delisting candidates over the next couple of years, if they don't ramp up their output considerably over the next 6-12 months.

Turn-of-the-decade just doesn't seem like a very good time for the Crows historically.

1990 - Not in the league yet
1999-2000 they were mediocre at best, in need of rebuild, out with Blight and in Ayres
2010-2011 likewise, issues, outdated/fatigued, out with Craig
2020 - just coming off 2 years similar to Sanderson's last two, rebuild required

Their 1990 is shaping up better than 2020

Honestly who cares what the odd crazy fan says - you should know better than most!

I doubt the club is going to ask for a priority pick. If they do, then make a big song & dance,,,

The template is look at Carlton, we have got minimal assistance over the past 5 years, Crows are at least as big a club as Carlton, and SA isn’t some developing market for football.

Crows will have to largely get themselves out of this one, though I think 99.999% of their supporters wild see that.

The most challenging thing I've found about being an Adelaide supporter for about the past 11 years is just that I quite liked practically all of the players that have left the club. Now, with them being all over the competition, I find myself with about 15 "second" clubs.

I think the biggest dagger in the heart was Cameron though. I am so glad to see Brisbane succeeding with him playing a big role in it.

And now we're in some sort of a state where to me it feels like the club and its players have really just been through far too much at this point. As much as it sads me to consider, I can't help but expect that we won't really be past this until the current "old guard" are allowed to retire naturally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows have never bottomed out... actually a little exciting to do a full rebuild
Actually they have bottomed out, they just never spent a period in the bottom 4 or bottom 6 for 4-5 years in a row.

They had spent 1994-96 outside the top 8 but was never bottom 4. 12th in 1996 before they won the flag in 1997-8. Missed out on finals in 1999-2000. 13th in 1999 and 11th in 2000.

Didnt make finals in 2004 as they finished 11th.

Didnt play finals in 2010 and 2011. Finished 11th in 2010. In a normal year, that would of been a top 5-6 pick but with Gold coast coming in, it was like pick 10. 14th in 2011 again, that would of been a top 4-5 pick but was pushed back as a top 10 pick with GWS coming in.

Didnt play finals in 2013 and 2014. Finished 11th in 2013. Would of got a top 10 pick if it wasnt for the Kurt tippet fisco. Finshed 10th in 2014. Another top 10 pick.

Didnt play finals in 2018 and 2019. Finished 12th with 12 wins in which some seasons 12 wins was enough to get a finals spot. 2019 crows finished 11th again. thats enough to get pick 7 or 8.

Point is the crows in their 30 year history reminds me of the swans from 1996-2017. Always has been competitive. rarely finished bottom 4-6. If your team finishes in the bottom 4-6 each year, you usually cull the list and bring in 6-8 kids in the National draft each year.

If you finish in the top 8 or just outside a finals spot, you either bring in the minimal 3 players in the draft or a moder 4-5 kids in the draft.

Honestly, if the I was the Crows admin, I'd be seriously considering wooden spoon this year as a strategic decision. This season isn't really going to matter in the long-term history of the league. There will always be an asterisk next to whoever wins the flag, so why not bottom out and score a nice high draft pick, of which we've had so few?

Added benefit is that we get to play all the kids and give them enough game time to see who's the future and who's not.

If I was the Eagles, I'd be considering it too tbh.

Honestly, if the I was the Crows admin, I'd be seriously considering wooden spoon this year as a strategic decision. This season isn't really going to matter in the long-term history of the league. There will always be an asterisk next to whoever wins the flag, so why not bottom out and score a nice high draft pick, of which we've had so few?

Added benefit is that we get to play all the kids and give them enough game time to see who's the future and who's not.

Not sure there’s anything strategic about it.
This is clearly a broken club and are performing accordingly ...

The narrative that this season has a Asterix is complete bullshit. If the league recognises and counts say the 1924 season, a tin pot 9 team state comp with a generation of player lost to war and some ridiculous round robin finals series, a 17 round 18 team league where everyone plays each other once and it is survival of the fittest both mentally and physically, there should absolutely be no Asterix, even if it does suit your narrative.

Says the worst team in the comp.

Half time of the 2017 Grand Final seems like the tipping point to me, who's on the compete outside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there plenty of rumours of players arguing/fighting each other during half time?

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The narrative that this season has a Asterix is complete bullshit. If the league recognises and counts say the 1924 season, a tin pot 9 team state comp with a generation of player lost to war and some ridiculous round robin finals series, a 17 round 18 team league where everyone plays each other once and it is survival of the fittest both mentally and physically, there should absolutely be no Asterix, even if it does suit your narrative.

If you say so. For me, I think it absolutely DOES affect the season and the eventual premier, and I'd hazard a guess there's a lot of other fans who agree with me. As for 1924, it clearly doesn't apply to this discussion due to the facts that you've already asserted (not a national competition, etc.).

All I'm saying is that it might be wise, since the Crows normally don't have access to the top end of the draft, to use this "opportunity" to pick up a very high draft pick and play some kids at the same time.

If you say so. For me, I think it absolutely DOES affect the season and the eventual premier, and I'd hazard a guess there's a lot of other fans who agree with me. As for 1924, it clearly doesn't apply to this discussion due to the facts that you've already asserted (not a national competition, etc.).

All I'm saying is that it might be wise, since the Crows normally don't have access to the top end of the draft, to use this "opportunity" to pick up a very high draft pick and play some kids at the same time.
I agree that results this year don’t matter, but in that case it is a perfect time to introduce the lottery draft, which is obviously not ideal for you guys.

Regardless of what we think, history will remember x team as premiers and y as spooners.

The trolls will always come out in force in times like this. Plenty of good discussion in here and there are severe problems with our admin right now that need to be addressed, but look how quickly a shakeup at clubs like the Bulldogs and Brisbane netted positive results on field.

There is more shakeup required on and off field at the club which will hopefully happen at the end of the season, I don’t see us realistically even being in the race for finals until 2022, but more likely 2023. Not talking about being a premiership chance either, just making finals will be a start. It didn’t take the Eagles too long to contend for finals again after winning the wooden spoon, things can change quickly if can nail a few key moves. Time will tell but I have to remain optimistic things will get better, otherwise what’s the point in watching?
Agree turnaround can happen relatively quickly but the question id ask is has Adelaide got its house off field in order?

If you are embarking on a full scale change process you simply have to have the administration not only competent but all going in the one direction and not looking to undermine others or protect positions

If you look at how clubs have turned things around over the last decade or so, having a strong administration is essential

Hugh Greenwood left the Crows at the end of the 2019 season and joined the Suns, playing a key role in the weekend’s one-sided victory.

“Hugh Greenwood, that was as much our call. He’s 28 this year and not going to be playing in our next premiership side,” Ricciuto said

It was those words that Cornes took issue with and floated a theory as to why the group has been so despondent week in, week out.

“If that’s the precedent from Mark Ricciuto, if you’re 28 years of age - he’s basically saying you can’t win a flag at the Adelaide Football Club,” Cornes said on Footy Classified.

“You are wondering why there is a lack of effort from the Adelaide Football Club, particularly the elder players, it is because they believe their club doesn’t think they’ll win a flag.

“If I’m Brad Crouch (27 years old), Brodie Smith (28), Paul Seedsman (28), Daniel Talia (29), Tom Lynch (30), Taylor Walker (30), Rory Sloane (30) and Bryce Gibbs (31), I now know that my football club thinks I cannot win a flag because I’m 28.

“Perhaps that’s why you are seeing the effort they’re giving on the field because what’s the motivation for them to rock up and play if their club and their most famous name does not think they can win a flag?”

Caro said on Footy Classified last night that the club’s spin doctors are still briefing media to downplay the impact of the camps. Which remains a fairly obvious smoking gun as to the source of their problems. So many people in this thread are looking for football and drafting based reasons for their decline and it’s a red herring. The issue is no matter which talent or staff walk in the door, there is no trust in the institution due to the unresolved problems and continued denial about the camp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back