Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just that. The crowd there Saturday just didn't feel like a normal footy crowd. There's no way of proving it but just felt like many hadn't been to a lot of footy. There'll be adults who maybe haven't follow the in the past who are now getting interested (maybe through their kids) and once the men start they'll follow the crow boys as well.
Funny you should say that. Whenever my father and I attend a game we discuss what's happening in Portuguese which often results in the people standing/sitting next to us to glance at us with puzzled expressions, amusingly it happened twice on Saturday.

My guess is that despite all the work the AFL has done in trying to encourage interest from migrants it's still unusual to hear foreign languages spoken at games, unless we're talking about Port pretending to be Chinese.:p So these people probably assume that we're new to Australia and the sport, when that's far from the truth.

Besides, when you think about it, you'd have to be passionate about the sport and the club to stand there for the whole game in the rain without an umbrella.:D

Definitely enjoyed the game - was not a typical crowd but this made it all the more enjoyable - the girls put in some very hits and most of the game was highly skilled considering the conditions. Not sure if I would rush to go to all games but will follow the team with interest. It was a great afternoon to be a part of.

Definitely enjoyed the game - was not a typical crowd but this made it all the more enjoyable - the girls put in some very hits and most of the game was highly skilled considering the conditions. Not sure if I would rush to go to all games but will follow the team with interest. It was a great afternoon to be a part of.
The thing is, all games is 2? People keep saying the novelty will wear off by forget the most home games anyone gets is 4. Short sharp season, wet the appetite for next year.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I noticed this when I went off at the umpire early in the first for calling play on after a mark, then I realized I was the only one going off! So I thought I better reign it in. Just glad I didn't drop any "F" bombs.

The thing is, all games is 2? People keep saying the novelty will wear off by forget the most home games anyone gets is 4. Short sharp season, wet the appetite for next year.
3 games in Adelaide , 1 in Darwin

2 at Thebarton and 1 Norwood

I wonder if the SANFL will push to get a second SA AFLW licence in the future. Remember the SANFL have nothing to do with us anymore and if the comp grows they will want some of it In would suspect.

They have set up a league and excluded the Port womans team from it. I wonder if tbis is an attempt to grow that league to a point where they can create a composite SA womens side to compete in th3 AFLW down the track. The Southern Sharks etc.

The AFLW may open up to non AFL clubs as not all of the 18 will want to field such a team or afford it. And there some amatuer clubs who have fielded womans team for a long time (not just in SA) who probably deserve the right to bid on a licence if they can make it financially viable

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wonder if the SANFL will push to get a second SA AFLW licence in the future. Remember the SANFL have nothing to do with us anymore and if the comp grows they will want some of it In would suspect.

They have set up a league and excluded the Port womans team from it. I wonder if tbis is an attempt to grow that league to a point where they can create a composite SA womens side to compete in th3 AFLW down the track. The Southern Sharks etc.

The AFLW may open up to non AFL clubs as not all of the 18 will want to field such a team or afford it. And there some amatuer clubs who have fielded womans team for a long time (not just in SA) who probably deserve the right to bid on a licence if they can make it financially viable

Doesn't matter what the SANFL wants. If there is going to be a second team in SA the AFL will give it to Port unless Port refuses to have one.

Doesn't matter what the SANFL wants. If there is going to be a second team in SA the AFL will give it to Port unless Port refuses to have one.
That would make sense.

But if an SANFL backed team is more financially viable? And they deomstrate their league is of good quality.

Ironically the main revenue earnt by the SANFL is through the SMA and AFL games held at Adelaide Oval.

It just seems odd to me that they have not allowed Port Magpies into their womans league. The Magpies have had a womans team long before the Power annexed them.

Last edited:
That would make sense.

But if an SANFL backed team is more financially viable? And they deomstrate their league is of good quality.

Ironically the main revenue earnt by the SANFL is through the SMA and AFL games held at Adelaide Oval.

It just seems odd to me that they have not allowed Port Magpies into their womans league. The Magpies have had a womans team long before the Power annexed them.

Where does there support come from? Can they get 9k to an opening weekend?
Crows supporters will not follow them, and if Port get shafted by the SANFL, cannot see Port supporters following them either.

The AFL will be massively more concerned with visibility and support and branding than the league being of good quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does there support come from? Can they get 9k to an opening weekend?
Crows supporters will not follow them, and if Port get shafted by the SANFL, cannot see Port supporters following them either.

The AFL will be massively more concerned with visibility and support and branding than the league being of good quality.

Now I agree.

But in five or so years the landscape could be different.

Will be intersting to see what the Womans SANFL crowds are like in a couple of weeks time. Although there is no promotion of it.

That would make sense.

There has been a Port Women's team, yes. But they were very good, for a while, at not being able to pay their fees, so they got kicked out of the league. They were let back in last year and really struggled to get numbers once again. My first game was against Port and the scoreline was 129 to 0. To be fair they only had 16 on the field and no interchange against us having a full team. They had to forfeit games last season because they didn't have enough players turn up to games.

There has been a Port Women's team, yes. But they were very good, for a while, at not being able to pay their fees, so they got kicked out of the league. They were let back in last year and really struggled to get numbers once again. My first game was against Port and the scoreline was 129 to 0. To be fair they only had 16 on the field and no interchange against us having a full team. They had to forfeit games last season because they didn't have enough players turn up to games.
Haha. I thought they were backed by the Power. Wasn't there some talk about them supporting grassroots womans football?

Forfeiting games due to lack of numbers? Surely not.

Or was all the talk of that team being part of their club and fully supported nothing but spin for the masses.

REH over there just posted the spin they put out last year

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-03-03/port-takes-the-long-view-to-female-footy

So after this they forfeited games due to lack of numbers?

Seems the reality is that any involvement the Power has with Womans footy is just media spin and bulldust. Churned out to appease their lemmings to be seen to do something as we made real inroads into this opportunity.

So as the Full Back you had a deck chair and the latest AFL Prospectus to read during the game .....ball comes near you, you remove the chair and say "game on"

upload_2017-2-7_13-36-26.png

Port makes more sense, because there are clearly advantages of having a women's team associated with a men's team & vice-versa.

A SANFL team would only come in if there was demand for a 3rd SA team.

Will be interesting to watch the expansion, as the AFL should expand clubs in stated/territories on demand, which means a fairer proportion of teams outside of Melbourne! ie. 1st expansion teams should be all from non-Melbourne teams, so we too can have intra-state rivalries.

Port makes more sense, because there are clearly advantages of having a women's team associated with a men's team & vice-versa.

A SANFL team would only come in if there was demand for a 3rd SA team.

Will be interesting to watch the expansion, as the AFL should expand clubs in stated/territories on demand, which means a fairer proportion of teams outside of Melbourne! ie. 1st expansion teams should be all from non-Melbourne teams, so we too can have intra-state rivalries.
It appears Port can't adequately support a team in div2 Ammos.

Cant see how they can support a semi profesional team at the elite level.

It appears Port can't adequately support a team in div2 Ammos.

Cant see how they can support a semi profesional team at the elite level.

Obviously the revenue coming in for a women's AFL team would allow them to resource better than an amateur one.

Strategically to grow their support, are Port better of investing in China or women's football...

Obviously the revenue coming in for a women's AFL team would allow them to resource better than an amateur one.

Strategically to grow their support, are Port better of investing in China or women's football...

Top question: has China for a one-off or the Women's league garnered the most support and excitement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back