Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been announced on Melbourne radio there will be 6 teams in a Womens league in 2017 .......Sth Australia will not be represented due to too few women players in Sth Australia

Don't shoot the messenger

I'm sure we could tee up a few of our posters with wigs.

don't know much about the state of women's footy in SA, but it be interesting to see how many who are playing in the VWFL are originally from Adelaide or elsewhere - There's a few who play state footy for Victoria who didn't grow up here but moved here for the higher standard of footy and then end up playing state footy for the Vics insteads of their old state...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't know much about the state of women's footy in SA, but it be interesting to see how many who are playing in the VWFL are originally from Adelaide or elsewhere - There's a few who play state footy for Victoria who didn't grow up here but moved here for the higher standard of footy and then end up playing state footy for the Vics insteads of their old state...
Western Australia is the best state team. Deserves there own team.

Been announced on Melbourne radio there will be 6 teams in a Womens league in 2017 .......Sth Australia will not be represented due to too few women players in Sth Australia

Don't shoot the messenger
so when are they shutting down the lions, the suns, the swans and the giants?

would be about ******* time wouldn't it?

1936.jpg

First thing I thought of.
Don't know what position Norman Gunston played but Ruth Kracknel was a mean "half forward flanker" in her day.

I'm not sure we need women's footy at an AFL level.
I think it needs to grow organically like the men's competition.

Sport won't grow organically in this day and age. There are too many other, more advanced options.

A talented woman athlete can choose a bunch of sports now that have or are starting to have a bit of profile, presence and money. Netballers get paid now, women's cricketers get paid. If a girl is good at AFL then chances are she's decent at most other sports. They'll gravitate where there is a career pathway.

Women's football will never be able to grow organically because no talented athlete will continue plying her trade for Greenacres in the suburban league when there are better opportunities in other sports. The sport will just continue to not attract or retain the best athletes until there is something at the elite level to aspire to.

Men's football could grow organically. What was Aussie Rules competing against? Croquet?

I think it's clear the game could benefit from having a women's football league. I don't see it succeeding commercially any time soon though. For that to happen, women would actually have to start watching/caring about footy. This is going to require a bit of a paradigm shift and could take many years.

I just hope the AFL is willing to play the long game and doesn't just can it the second it starts to bleed money.
o_O

Will women who like AFL support the women's league though? I think it's pretty presumptuous to think they will.

I will say I think it's excellent the Crows are being progressive about this though. We came out of the Adelaide Oval deal looking like dinosaurs. Supporting Women's Footy shows the club is embracing changing attitudes and willing to be forward thinking. It's not the Crows I've gotten used to, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back