Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hearing/reading womens footy in QLD is actually pretty strong. Not sure why though.
You'd think AFL would kill it in NSW and Qld.

SURELY girls aren't attracted to a sport as boring as rugby? It's too late for the blokes. Their dads played, their dad's dads played.

I've watched 2 sets of about 10 mins this year on Fox. My point is that no matter how big a wheel she is in the women's game, it does not give her the right to play where she wants. Going public and stating that she'll possibly quit the game was the opposite to what she should have done. It was possibly the biggest day for women's AFL and her petulance was the lead story of the AFL section in the online Age. Fact is that there's 4 Melbourne teams do even IF she didn't get to Melbourne, her life is hardly uprooted. If playing for another club is in direct conflict with her employment, then there's no chance of her playing anywhere else. Going public was an incredibly selfish action to take, it's the last thing the AFL would have wanted on a dedicated joyous day for their women's league. Especially seeing as she was never going anywhere else but her club, as evidenced by all the responses in here detailing how important she is and how important it is that she plays for Melbourne.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for posters to admit that she was out of line. No one has said what she said was actually ok, all I've read is how important she is. Almost as if the actual topic can't be discussed. Do you think her suggesting she may quit if she doesn't get her way is acceptable? Is this how the league should be kicked off?
Gee i wish you got some knowledge on the subject b4 mouthing off :mad:

Do you know ......well no you don't:

1. The season is only 7 games + finals (2 months) ........these players have jobs, do you want them to relocate interstate for 7 games :rolleyes:

2. The AFL has allowed each club to nominate a number of marquis players ....Daisy Pearce will be one of Melbourne's ......so she won't have to leave, it's a non issue

3. Daisy Pearce is employed by the Melbourne Football club ......so she is going to quit her job at Melbourne for 7 games of footy :rolleyes:

4. The AFL having recognized all the above have promised to accomodate each players wishes and the draft is likely to be mainly state based

I remember hearing/reading womens footy in QLD is actually pretty strong. Not sure why though.
:huh: Rugby country? .....that would seem strange?

I can understand the AFL trying to build AFL in QLD on the back of winning the womens vote, hearts and minds

2015 AFL annual report states female participation nationally rose from 194,966 in 2014 to 318,880 in 2015. Interesting what participation is defined as, cause that seems a huge number already.

Enormous jump on the back of just talk of a potential league. Interesting what 2016 and 2017 can deliver, but the growth is uber promising.

Gee i wish you got some knowledge on the subject b4 mouthing off :mad:

Do you know ......well no you don't:

1. The season is only 7 games + finals (2 months) ........these players have jobs, do you want them to relocate interstate for 7 games :rolleyes:

2. The AFL has allowed each club to nominate a number of marquis players ....Daisy Pearce will be one of Melbourne's ......so she won't have to leave, it's a non issue

3. Daisy Pearce is employed by the Melbourne Football club ......so she is going to quit her job at Melbourne for 7 games of footy :rolleyes:

4. The AFL having recognized all the above have promised to accomodate each players wishes and the draft is likely to be mainly state based

Don't tell me muppet, I'm well aware of all that, if you actually bothered reading my post(s). The question I'm asking is that given there was no chance she'd be deployed anywhere but Melbourne, why did she do an interview with Sam Lane threatening to quit if she didn't get to Melbourne. Do you think that appropriate and normal conduct from the premier athlete on the most important day of the league to date?

You've done nothing more than the many who have failed to address her comments but instead provided a history lesson and explained how important a player she is. Don't be frightened to address the actual question, no one else has yet, I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for posters to admit that she was out of line. No one has said what she said was actually ok, all I've read is how important she is. Almost as if the actual topic can't be discussed. Do you think her suggesting she may quit if she doesn't get her way is acceptable? Is this how the league should be kicked off?

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and suggest that a journalist would have asked her the question "how would you feel about playing for a different club", or something to that capacity. Suddenly her response is framed as if she bought it up.

Women's footy in QLD is incredibly strong - Way stronger than South Australia. There is a fair percentage of women playing in the VWFL who are from QLD

Don't tell me muppet, I'm well aware of all that, if you actually bothered reading my post(s). The question I'm asking is that given there was no chance she'd be deployed anywhere but Melbourne, why did she do an interview with Sam Lane threatening to quit if she didn't get to Melbourne. Do you think that appropriate and normal conduct from the premier athlete on the most important day of the league to date?

You've done nothing more than the many who gave failed to address her comments but instead orovided a history lesson and explained how important a player she is. Don't be frightened to address the actual question, no one else has yet, I'm not sure why.
Sam Lane doesn't play football ......get your facts right if you want to mount any credible response

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and suggest that a journalist would have asked her the question "how would you feel about playing for a different club", or something to that capacity. Suddenly her response is framed as if she bought it up.

Women's footy in QLD is incredibly strong - Way stronger than South Australia. There is a fair percentage of women playing in the VWFL who are from QLD

Instead of that, why don't you read the entire article and form a view on all the information currently available. I wouldn't have though that Sam Lane was known for her sensationalist journalistic method? At least you admit to not really wanting to know, I can respect that.

Sam Lane doesn't play football ......get your facts right if you want to mount any credible response

Yes, got me. Missed a comma did I? Daisy Pearce was interviewed by Sam Lane. Daisy Pearce stated in a couple of different ways to that she would possibly leave the game if the AFL didn't deploy her to Melbourne.

Im not suggesting I've nailed that perfectly with regards to grammar, however, I hope your keen mind can twist it around and somehow see what I trying to say.

Check out Sam Lane's from yesterday. The same day the AFL have their major announcement and advise the player acquisition system we get a player threatening to walk away from the game if they don't get to their club of choice. Why is this sense of entitlement accepted and in some cases encouraged?
I think everything she said was entirely reasonable and in a foundation scenario where clubs can nominate their marquees I honestly don't think any club would begrudge her what she wants. These aren't six figure contacts we're talking.

2015 AFL annual report states female participation nationally rose from 194,966 in 2014 to 318,880 in 2015. Interesting what participation is defined as, cause that seems a huge number already.

Enormous jump on the back of just talk of a potential league. Interesting what 2016 and 2017 can deliver, but the growth is uber promising.
Participation figures are a little "rubbery" in this regard. A sport can run a lightning carnival for a bunch of schools on one afternoon and because the kids play 4+ games they count as a participant. The kids might only play that one day for the whole year but they count the same as a player who plays every week of the season.

Also some sports are clever at getting in with PE teachers. The teacher might do a block of 5 weeks during a term focusing on footy. So the sport gives the teacher a 5 week program ("footy skills program") with a bunch of drills and games. Bang. 5 weeks means every kid at the school counts as a participant.

What would be interesting is to see the numbers playing in regular club competitions and how that has changed.

Participation figures are a little "rubbery" in this regard. A sport can run a lightning carnival for a bunch of schools on one afternoon and because the kids play 4+ games they count as a participant. The kids might only play that one day for the whole year but they count the same as a player who plays every week of the season.

Also some sports are clever at getting in with PE teachers. The teacher might do a block of 5 weeks during a term focusing on footy. So the sport gives the teacher a 5 week program ("footy skills program") with a bunch of drills and games. Bang. 5 weeks means every kid at the school counts as a participant.

What would be interesting is to see the numbers playing in regular club competitions and how that has changed.

Official numbers according to the AFL for female participation in 2015:

Participation breakdown

School programs – 181,579
School competitions – 70,562
NAB AFL Auskick – 44,192
Club – 17,063
AFL 9s – 4585

Doesn't really matter how rubbery it is if it's still being defined the same way. 25% increase in one year is massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I played a few games of primary school footy for Woodville Primary, not that I went there. Anyway, 2 things I remember is that the team had a girl and 2 deaf brothers. The girl was as good as most of the boys, but I guess that in 1982 once she finished primary school her ability to play organised footy ceased. There was never any girls in the junior club league that I played in. Not sure whether that was a rule or just an oddity of the years that I played.

Matt it was just a case of as the boys got older their bodies were too strong for the girls. No rule to say girls couldn't play underage games but it wasn't practicable. I'm happy that there is a place for them now with these state leagues. VFL to follow. I think it will take between 10-20 years to grow the league like the men but this is a start.

Well... there might be a certain team playing (not mine!) who have had one game called off at 3/4 time because they started an all in brawl on field. Their coach was the one to call the game off.
Haha, noone would ever guess which team

So excited for the Crows womens team... I wish I was 10 years younger!

Official numbers according to the AFL for female participation in 2015:

Participation breakdown

School programs – 181,579
School competitions – 70,562
NAB AFL Auskick – 44,192
Club – 17,063
AFL 9s – 4585

Doesn't really matter how rubbery it is if it's still being defined the same way. 25% increase in one year is massive.
It does though. If it's just school carnivals and and PE programs then the numbers are meaningless. If they run more of them the numbers go up regardless of whether interest in the game is climbing.

If club numbers and Auskick numbers go up then that is a good sign.

It does though. If it's just school carnivals and and PE programs then the numbers are meaningless. If they run more of them the numbers go up regardless of whether interest in the game is climbing.

If club numbers and Auskick numbers go up then that is a good sign.

Would be interesting seeing those figures from a few years ago. Have you emailed AFL House yet, perhaps add that in. I'm sure someone posted in here how far and arduous it is to get their daughter to her club games. That's the key and if that doesn't change, it's hard to see the talent base expanding as it needs to sustain a viable high level competition. Any idiot with cash, otherwise known as the AFL, can throw some money around and create a premier league out of nothing and get it on TV. Making the sport competetive and accessible at grass roots, where it presently isn't, is a lot more difficult.

That's what I'll be most interested hearing about. What's changing in the junior/school leagues to increase the pathway opportunities.

Matt it was just a case of as the boys got older their bodies were too strong for the girls. No rule to say girls couldn't play underage games but it wasn't practicable. I'm happy that there is a place for them now with these state leagues. VFL to follow. I think it will take between 10-20 years to grow the league like the men but this is a start.

I'm more referring to club u9's to u11's. Once you get to 13's it's probably a bit of a stretch.

Some have talked about the standard of the womens game. I have said previously it looks at best Div 6 in Amateur League. But for those of us who have played Amateur your team starts In the lower levels and you progress over the years, new players come in , recruits are paid played and the team moves through the ranks until one day you find yourself playing Div 1. That's how I see the progress of this. Doesn't make it a bad product it is what it is. Just don't expect it to be the standard of SANFL or higher. Low expectations high enjoyment

You'd think AFL would kill it in NSW and Qld.

SURELY girls aren't attracted to a sport as boring as rugby? It's too late for the blokes. Their dads played, their dad's dads played.

There is no or very limited women's rugby teams in QLD and instead the AFL has jumped in there and offered an opportunity for women in queensland to play football.

Some have talked about the standard of the womens game. I have said previously it looks at best Div 6 in Amateur League. But for those of us who have played Amateur your team starts In the lower levels and you progress over the years, new players come in , recruits are paid played and the team moves through the ranks until one day you find yourself playing Div 1. That's how I see the progress of this. Doesn't make it a bad product it is what it is. Just don't expect it to be the standard of SANFL or higher. Low expectations high enjoyment

Totally. If you go into it with low expectations (or even no expectations) as to the skill standards of the games, hopefully there's a lesser chance of coming away disappointed after watching a game. I know I will certainly enjoy being able to see a new Crows outfit running around, even if games are more low scoring arm wrestles for the first few years.

Exactly.

There is no or very limited women's rugby teams in QLD and instead the AFL has jumped in there and offered an opportunity for women in queensland to play football.

Might get a few extra boys to play our game up there as a result, I mean as a result of having more families getting involved.

Just popping in to point out that the AFL defines a participant as someone who takes part in a program of not less than 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back