Autopsy AFL 2016 - Round 4 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Likes Great to see some sides who have struggled in the past few years finally showing something. Melbourne despite the essendon loss, almost beat Kangaroos last week and beat a desperate Collingwood today. Saints, could easily have been 3-1, fell away against Power and hard done by against the hawks.

Dislikes - Umpires costing teams wins, not saying it would have made a difference but the not 15 call saints and Hawks was a shift changer. Not blaming umpires, it happens but its just a dislike, but on the flip side, could say mccartin should have kicked the goal.

What I learnt from round 4....Port, The Maggies and Freo are in some trouble. It can always turn around...but its a long way from here

Liked
  • Eagles anniversary jumper.
  • Zach Merrett - under intense pressure and scrutiny is standing up big time. Smacks of leadership materials IMO.
  • Brisbane standing up when Martin went down, didn't get sucked into the physicality of Gold Coast and May and got the better of a team that was 3 - 0 and having the scalp of Freo at Domain.
  • Adelaide V Sydney game.
  • GWS scoring power. Granted it was against Port Adelaide but they eclipsed their previous high score and without McCarthy and Cameron who would have kocked 80 goals between them in 2015 I presume.
  • Melbourne.
  • Form of Jarrad Waite.

Hated
  • Criticism of Cotchin.
  • Goal kicking competition wide is still an issue.
  • Umpiring interpretations. Would never want to buy land off them.

Learnt
  • Saints are building something good. Lyon should be taking note of this
  • Without Murphy and JJ think we will see the making of Shane Biggs as a consistently performing attacking defender.
  • Ken Hinkley has a tough week ahead. An extra win gives him a buffer over Buckley and Hardwick but they have been hardly convincing in the opening 4 rounds and arguably been gifted 2 home wins.
  • As if the Magpies loss wasn't bad enough they have a fine to pay for bringing White in from outside the emergency list. Way to kick a team while there down. Firstly losing, secondly being stuck with Jesse White, thirdly the fine. TRIPLE WHAMMY.
  • Ross Lyon is digging the Dockers into a bigger every week at team selection.

Liked Sam Mitchell, saved us again.

Learnt the Saints will become a contender in the not too distant future.

Hated realising we can never replace Sam and that the other teams are closing the gap.

Learnt that I enjoy watching Jack Viney play football. Kid is hard as nails.

In fact Melbourne are pretty good to watch when they get their attacking game going on.

Liked: more cracking games over the weekend. The best start to a season for entertainment value I can remember
Learnt: that you can be almost happy with a 1-3 start to the year based on how your team is playing in general. How different that is to other teams / supporters who are also 1-3
Hated: severe injuries trying to de-rail the Dogs' season. Test of depth lies ahead

Liked:
- Crows v Swans match. Such a high level of pressure for 4 quarters. Genuine finals like game. Though the umpiring was inconsistent and cost both teams at crucial times.
- Brisbane winning
- McCartin showing he may be the gun he's been touted as
- GWS proving that there are serious issues down at Alberton
- Saints mosquito fleet football, very competitive against the best side going around

Learnt:
- We will find out a lot more about the bulldogs in the next few weeks. 2 really important half back runners gone down in 2 weeks and if Suckling misses too, they could be in grief. in saying that they have a number of players who can take that roll.
- West Coast are flat track bullies. Not to say they cant beat good sides, because they clearly can, but they LOVE to spank anyone that are off their game.
- The top 4 and top 8 is WIDE OPEN!
- Umpiring is getting harder and harder.

Hated:
May's bump. That's a horrible look. If anything it hurt their chances of winning the game too.
Seeing Johannisen go down with a hammy. He's been a revelation.
Being on the golf course and not being able to see Port get dismantled.
Being on the golf course and not being able to see Collingwood get dismantled.

Really Hate: Me using roll instead of role. Derp. Mondayitis.

Last edited:
I learnt that the goals Fisher, Geary and Montagna gave up in our defensive 50 via shitty turnovers as well as the goals Riewoldt, Savage and McCartin all failed to convert when they should have don't count, because a bad umpiring decision cost us a goal (and the momentum for 5 minutes before we wrestled it back anyway) and therefore we were robbed. Right in front of me.

Liked - Said it last week, will say it again - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. 4 years VFL apprenticeship. An unlikely call up from the rookie list. And has been impressive. Has poise and smarts and beautiful disposal skills. I like watching him play

Learned - I overrated Geelong & Collingwood :( Sad for Treloar that he had the choice of a terribly coached team, or a terrible list that is terribly coached. Would have looked great in the Red and Black...

Hated- GCS not going top. Should have cruised to a win in the Q Clash with the talent they had out there (and Martin out).

How good has AM-T been. Love the way he goes about it. Genuinely exciting prospect.

Looks to have the fitness too, which often guys that are plucked out of the lower leagues dont have.

Speed + Endurance + good footskills....prototype 2016 footballer.

Liked Sam Mitchell, saved us again.

Learnt the Saints will become a contender in the not too distant future.

Hated realising we can never replace Sam and that the other teams are closing the gap.

Sam Mitchell didnt save you on the weekend.
Did most of his work in the first half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 15m rule has been aborted heavily this weekend. Saw it with the Hawks vs Saints game and the Crows vs Swans game in the back pockets.
Too many inconsistencies:
- rule seems to apply much more strictly to kick-ins and backpocket than the rest of the ground
- intercepting an opposition kick less than 15m seems to be allowed

I

I beg to differ, if Sam wasn't playing we would have lost that game. I can't say that about any other Hawks player. Therefore, saved the game :)

I think if Gunston didnt play you lose. 11 marks, a number of which heavily contested.
As crucial if not more than Sam on the day.
Dont get me wrong, as a player Mitchell is hugely influential, but when the game was there to be won in the 2nd half he wasnt as prevalent

Also not one usually to blame umpires, but boy you guys got some lucky calls.

I think if Gunston didnt play you lose. 11 marks, a number of which heavily contested.
As crucial if not more than Sam on the day.
Dont get me wrong, as a player Mitchell is hugely influential, but when the game was there to be won in the 2nd half he wasnt as prevalent

Also not one usually to blame umpires, but boy you guys got some lucky calls.
Round 4- Hawks vs Saints

3 votes- Sam Mitchell. Lock it in. Enough said.

It wasn't the 40 touches mate, could have been 20 didn't matter. If you think Mitchell wasn't BOG in that match you weren't watching the game. Let's just agree to disagree. Can't wait till Friday should be a ripper game.

It wasn't the 40 touches mate, could have been 20 didn't matter. If you think Mitchell wasn't BOG in that match you weren't watching the game. Let's just agree to disagree. Can't wait till Friday should be a ripper game.

Should be a cracker.
Wouldnt have thought that coming into the season.

Its funny how things have changed. I had Freo at home pencilled in as an L, and while they are still not an easy side, its definitely not a 90% Loss like what I had it down for. Same for Friday night. Was 95% loss, now I'd say probably 60%

Watched the Crows vs Swans, what a game. If the Crows bring that it's game on. I back our boys at the G but could go either way based on form.

I like that new fox footy commentator. What's his name? Adam something? He should become the main man with Huddo, he knows his stuff. There is probably a heap more like him out there commentating but unfortunately the ex afl profiles are to valuable to fox
Adam Papalia you're talking about? Listened to him call on radio here in Perth for a few years, great caller who keeps it simple, amazing how well that works.

Liked:
The Crows Swans game
Everyone talks about Port 'never giving up', but the Saints are the true 'never say die' team. Alan Richardson must be one hell of a motivator
North Melbourne and Adelaide are the two best teams to watch by a mile
The Lions getting some reward after a shocking draw to start the year
Melbourne winning a game they should win

Learnt:
Crows are at worst a top 6 side
Pies season over
Something is seriously wrong at Port

Hated:
The terrible interpretation of the 15m rule

Liked:
Crows vs Swans game - A very close game which was decided in the last few minutes.
Melbourne winning
St Kilda's never give up attitude
WCE guernsey :D

Learnt:
Port's only functional players at the moment are Hombsch and Robbie Gray
Freo's season is slipping away quickly
Pie's season is shot

Hated:
Steven May hit on Martin
Umpiring with the kicking out interpretation
WB injuries

Adam Papalia you're talking about? Listened to him call on radio here in Perth for a few years, great caller who keeps it simple, amazing how well that works.
Yeh that's it. He's good, worked his way up from the bottom like all Real commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back