Autopsy AFL 2016, Round 9 - What have you liked, learnt and hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I love a good debate, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! c,mon lets get to it again tomorrow, got to read some football stuff now, rest before educating you poor buggars!

I actually like the Giants...

And more relevantly, I don't feel threatened by them at all. If we play them in a final this year, we'll win (not making any predictions after 2016..!), because we're experienced and will be ready. West Aussies are doing the best whinging here, but they had start up concessions and in WC's case a complete moratorium on all drafting from WA for the first year or so...serious gold. Hawk fans also having a grizzle, but we sucked for three decades until we were given Melbourne's best zones on a platter. Everyone complained in 1987 about supposed WA dominance forevermore, Sheedy famously straight after Essendon shook them off at Windy Hill in their second game ever, but it never happened...just a good team who went well when coached well, and didn't when they weren't. A few players doing well for GWS right now and running the show are of the Brisbane Bears category - not wanted by their former clubs...

A loooong way to go before anyone can start claiming robbery...they haven't taken anything yet...

It hurts long term not just Vic teams SA teams WA teams and you guys should be in Tasmania , a FOOTBALL State. Western Sydney district's people will take a hundred years , or maybe never to become Aussie rules ignited..
We had two successful clubs in NSW and QLD, now QLD is dying slowly, what happens when one of your teams (NSW) dies in form, that's the game and how it unfolds for every club, because it so hard to play at elite level. And to get elite players with consistency.

Look it won't change, until the fog sets in, on the game in those 2 states.

Or until we see the deaths of some clubs from Melbourne or clubs from SA and WA. That's the tragedy.

But worse for me, and for many, it may just be the plan!!!!

As you said, Tasmania is already a footy state. I think the point of GWS was to expand the AFL. Tas would offer a smaller population, plus they're already fans so not a lot of new revenue. Could a Tas. team be self sustaining? That's not sarcasm btw I genuinely don't know.

QLD also has a much smaller population to work with, which is part of their problem. GWS is a grassroots experiment in the most population dense non-AFL area in the country. It's more than just plopping a team down, they're more focused on setting up a community. Youth programs, women's footy, netball partnership... All in hopes that they can create something more permanent than the mistakes they made before.

There's no way to speculate how long it will take west Syd. to convert or if they ever will, but the AFL thought it was worth a try. I'm glad they did, otherwise I wouldn't follow AFL. I've passed it on to my family in the states, so it's done a little at least.

Either way I don't think you can blame GWS for the downfall of a VC, SA, or WA team(which I agree would be terrible). We'll be successful, but not to the point of ruining other clubs. There will be a massive slump in 10 yrs or so and that will be a huge test. I don't see them propping us up for too long. I imagine if it doesn't work the fallback might be Tasmania. Otherwise we'd probably merge with a struggling team.

Highly doubt that will happen though, we've got a great club and our fans are few but loyal as hell.

Last edited:
No you haven't got the runs on the board, your innings has been given to you with a couple of centuries added on before you bat!!!
And when you do get the runs , it'll be AFL backed and pushed, and unfairly. If that wasn't the case you and GC17 would still be languishing on the bottom of the ladder as you were maybe five years ago, and as one of you is already making my point that down times come. and as other new clubs from decades ago languished , for 30, 40, 50, 60 years.
That's why y'all is damn good! No other reason!
f6a7c2d72546b9dc1d3208da0a41e8a6.jpg

Yeah look , just watched the recording of Open Mike , with Mike Sheehan or Sheahan, but Mike does a brilliant job of in depth interviews with ex footballers, what he did this time was Ken Sheldon from Carlton and St Kilda, I just didn't realise what a successful person in life and as a footballer and coach this man was. His battle with some hard times in life...real hard times, tough man good man tough family .
We have so much more than a game , in our beautiful sport, and the character it builds, I seriously do fear for the game its style and so forth, packs and throws , you guys know all the bulldust I come out with, But we also , I hope , know that we all love it , and speaking out, may help some officials change the grey rules a bit to help our game get a little bit back to its best , because even its worst is better than anything else.
So even though I don't back off , I think its time we stopped the argument, and I think some positives is the only way to go, so lets see if your Giants are good enough and stuff the past lets look forward. Too many important things in life to worry about , football is ours and all the clubs belong! All of them. I'm done on that. Now. Good luck , my mob won't be as easy next time ha ha !

We have so much more than a game , in our beautiful sport, and the character it builds, I seriously do fear for the game its style and so forth, packs and throws , you guys know all the bulldust I come out with, But we also , I hope , know that we all love it , and speaking out, may help some officials change the grey rules a bit to help our game get a little bit back to its best , because even its worst is better than anything else.!

Mate I don't pretend to be anything but new to the game. 5 years following properly, still learning.

But I love this game and club more than any other, and I'm 3rd Gen Balmain in League originally, raised on the ol GayFL thoughts.

The fact that myself and Noodle, isamed, ian etc all are so protective of our club should show that expansion is working. Have faith in our sport.

Having northern clubs will be for the better of the league.

There was no other way to grow the clubs (personally think GC should of been Tassie as its a deathbead for sport. But ive never gone at Suns fans as they love their club) and the 16 clubs knew this which is why the start up concessions were all agreed.

Well we'll call you all that, because you are. And you are going great with a lot of help , but I don't agree with how you were built, that's all.
I like footy I like watching games , but you people will have a huge assisted time for a while,but when your down the drain rebuild time comes then the expansion will be shown up. I don't think you'll gain much support from Western Sydney mate, with 15,000 people only, at games, who knows how many at games when your down the bottom again.T
hen again you may never be down the drain because the AFL will prop you up like Sydney . Soon they'll be propping up GC17 again( or failure) and probably the only legitimate QLD club called Brisbane Lions!
You guys had it all, the chance to watch GC17 do the wrong thing and think that one player GAJ would create everything , it didn't, but you guys with help have maybe cornered the market in game winning, and become the hardest to beat!
So for football as a game a good team is good to watch, but as for common sense and fairness , you are exactly what you agreed to be called plastic manufactured no doubt of failure, success gauranteed!

And even though a destroyer of traditional football clubs, you are not now and never will be part of football that I love . You are a stray over loaded drink of poison.

Your players of worth.... should be playing in Tasmania maybe, or in Fremantle or at Port , where traditional football following states appreciate a good football match between real clubs, you will probably commit the henious act of winning a flag before The Dogs or Melbourne the oldest club, or St Kilda or Fremantle FROM A TRADITIONAL FOOTBALL STATE! Not a manufactured entity.

So I apoligise for being negative and nasty, because I am not, though it may appear like that, I just hate the AFL's destructive autocratic manner in how you can create a team and destroy the hopes of other lower level real clubs ,for more decades to come , by bleeding the player pool dry.
And both Sydney and you, even though your club is the manufactured, at least Sydney is the real thing ex South, both of you, through need and greed have hunted down the little tricks , Sydney desperate hunt for Buddy , and Tippett, by Sydney gave you boys that little leg up with big Mumford, I know what you'll say , but whatever, it all fitted perfectly for AFL success in two other states that are NON football states , and helped ruin any chance the real and deserved clubs which SANFL, WAFL, VFL,TFL, NT who contribute players to our game to win a flag .

It will see their dreams of 50 or 60 years or no flags at all al la Freo, before a premiership , will watch you guys run around with a cup, in my mind you shouldn't have even had the opportunity to win. But you got more than opportunity hey?

Sorry man this is not about the game its about administration and rotten greed, and Television money.

Wonder what a few others think when the stuff this Giant fellow came out with above. If it was a joke , good one , its not funny is all!

Got to put my footy curse on the Giants. That will be evident as time goes by!

Sorry I tuned out after "Well"

Is there an abridged version?

Scotty lycetts goals were not too far behind

Liked: That Cox goal. Its great when you see a big lumbering ruckman find some space and slot a goal.

Learnt: Youre really going to struggle this season if you dont have a quality ruckman. Norths mids getting silver service was worth about 6-8 goals. More if their tall timber in their forward 50 had of clicked.

Hated: Still no consistent umpiring. I dont mind the new DOOB rule, but be consistent ffs. And if an opposition player shepherds it across they should be penalised.

Scotty lycetts goals were not too far behind

Yeah Goldy kicked a couple of corkers as well. Everyone gives ruckmen sh*t for their skills, but some of them are quite reasonable around goal.

Mate I don't pretend to be anything but new to the game. 5 years following properly, still learning.

But I love this game and club more than any other, and I'm 3rd Gen Balmain in League originally, raised on the ol GayFL thoughts.

The fact that myself and Noodle, isamed, ian etc all are so protective of our club should show that expansion is working. Have faith in our sport.

Having northern clubs will be for the better of the league.

There was no other way to grow the clubs (personally think GC should of been Tassie as its a deathbead for sport. But ive never gone at Suns fans as they love their club) and the 16 clubs knew this which is why the start up concessions were all agreed.
If you are an old Balmain man, you would love Gary Jack's boy's boys getting around for the swans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back