Preview AFL 2017 - FW1 - Geelong v Richmond, Fri, 19:50 AEST, Sep 08, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do get the 98,000 they predict it could be a larger crowd than the GF, especially if two interstate teams like Adelaide and GWS get there. When's the last time a week 1 final had a higher crowd?

Geelong fans appear to be worried in this thread , Relax guys its only Richmond and nobody expects Richmond to win - So it should be a walk in the park

But there will be 70,000 Tigers fans Roaring , Lets hope the umpires dont get scared and not give joel his usual free kicks

It will happen and I cant wait. Good to see Matt Stevic is umpiring the game too, helped us out plenty at Simonds a few weeks ago against the Tigers, seems to really not like Richmond. Think I read he has given the most free kicks against the Tigers this year or something?

Cats & Pies fans who were puzzled by Dangerfield & Grundy's suspensions for dangerous tackles earlier this season won't be pleased to hear that Ivan Maric wasn't even cited this weekend for a similar act on James Aish at North Port Oval. Aish was concussed and didn't return after half time. This should be a huge story. More inconsistency from the MRP.

Oh, and the Tigers by 4 goals, unless they get stage fright, which wouldn't surprise me. The loser of this game will go out in straight sets, so the Tigers better bloody well win, or their club will be in deep s**t.

Yeah nah I'm fuming. Ivan Maric has as much bearing on this game as Mark Blake does.

Excellent argument. Wrong, but excellent none the less.

As opposed to the sook I was responding to?

Over the years, Geelong HAS wanted to play games in Melbourne...I seem to remember comments from Geelong management about how some large percentage of their members were in Melbourne and thus they wanted to reward/acknowledge them...

Not to mention how until the AFL & State government started funding the upgrades at KP, it was a dump, so really, wantign to play elsewhere was just common sense.

Thus, the notion that Geelong has only played in Melbourne due to being forced to is, indeed, 'bullshit'.

But please, feel free to show how Geelong has always wanted to play every single home game at KP....Remember, repeating a lie doesn't make it true.

Cats & Pies fans who were puzzled by Dangerfield & Grundy's suspensions for dangerous tackles earlier this season won't be pleased to hear that Ivan Maric wasn't even cited this weekend for a similar act on James Aish at North Port Oval. Aish was concussed and didn't return after half time. This should be a huge story. More inconsistency from the MRP.

Oh, and the Tigers by 4 goals, unless they get stage fright, which wouldn't surprise me. The loser of this game will go out in straight sets, so the Tigers better bloody well win, or their club will be in deep s**t.

How so?

We've got a young list, our 22 has been younger than most 'rebuilding' teams this year, and nobody expected us to make finals pre season....How are we in deep s**t if we loose 2 games we'll be the underdogs in both times?

As for Maric...Didn't see it, but you do realise that the AFL & VFL have different reporting processes. It can hardly be MRP inconsistency when the MRP wasn't involved.

If they do get the 98,000 they predict it could be a larger crowd than the GF, especially if two interstate teams like Adelaide and GWS get there. When's the last time a week 1 final had a higher crowd?

I am trying to picture if Essendon finished 2nd this year what Friday night's crowd would be..

My head hurts.

It will happen and I cant wait. Good to see Matt Stevic is umpiring the game too, helped us out plenty at Simonds a few weeks ago against the Tigers, seems to really not like Richmond. Think I read he has given the most free kicks against the Tigers this year or something?

Lets just say only Deboy gets a worse run on the tigs board

I dont buy the whole "its a conspiracy" thing, or that frees should be 50:50, but i miss the days when we didnt even know who the umps were

Lets just say only Deboy gets a worse run on the tigs board

I dont buy the whole "its a conspiracy" thing, or that frees should be 50:50, but i miss the days when we didnt even know who the umps were

I'm just stirring anyway, wouldn't know Stevic if I fell over him. Footy fans are slowly morphing into soccer fans who simply cannot accept that their team was beaten so they look to blame others, and the umpires are an easy target.

Umpires make a lot of mistakes, but not as many as the players do.

Everyone seems to run with the belief that Geelong are looked after, but fail to mention we have the most free kicks against for the year.

I'm just stirring anyway, wouldn't know Stevic if I fell over him. Footy fans are slowly morphing into soccer fans who simply cannot accept that their team was beaten so they look to blame others, and the umpires are an easy target.

Umpires make a lot of mistakes, but not as many as the players do.

Everyone seems to run with the belief that Geelong are looked after, but fail to mention we have the most free kicks against for the year.

11. Geelong -18 (457, 475)

18. Richmond -66 (401, 467)

We have the worst differential in the league by a lonnngggggg way, you can bet your bottom dollar if we win it will be with zero help from the umps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11. Geelong -18 (457, 475)

18. Richmond -66 (401, 467)

We have the worst differential in the league by a lonnngggggg way, you can bet your bottom dollar if we win it will be with zero help from the umps

Its easy to put the differentials up, how about looking at why?

Geelong is in the top few for contested possessions, so common sense will tell you you're more likely to get more free kicks.
We lead the league in tackles, so again, common sense tell you we will give away quite a few also (the most in the league actually!).

Richmond are a middle of the road side for contested possessions, and the same for free kicks for.
You are a middle of the road tackling team, but also have the most clangers and lowest disposal efficiency in the league, which no doubt add to free kicks against (like the 7 or 8 out on the full frees vs Geelong).

Except of course for all the Geelong fans who live in Melbourne...

and all the Geelong fans who would never get to see their team live if they were all played at such a small venue.

Let's face it, more than twice as many Geelong fans will see Friday night's game live because it's at the G than would get in at KP.
Who are you kidding?

Rain, traffic, trains not working, Vic Roads to close a lane or two on the bridge... and not to mention its a Friday night with 90k at the G...

Be lucky to be full by 1/2 time. And you're naive enough to think it wont happen.

Go Catters

If it was at Geelong the member split would be 60 - 40 Richmond's way. Nobody's kidding anyone.
That sounds like an AFL issue then..

Go Catters

probably hasn't happened

Conditions don't appear to suit either side. This would be a better game under the roof or on a dry day. But it looks like that won't happen. For Geelong to win the second tier guys are going to have to stand up. They can be awful and if they are Geelong will struggle. Can't see it being a blow out either way. Surely Richmond are better than last year and I think the Cats are as well but not by a big margin. This is the game of the first round of the finals and the winner should at least get to the GF. The umpiring will be a critical factor..and if that bald prick is umpiring watch out Geelong. I just hope we do not see soft c.ock free kicks in front of goal. Agree with others if we do not notice the umpires they will have done a good job. Previous games have no bearing on this encounter and if Geelong are to go further they must win at the G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back