AFL 2018 R4 Greater Western Sydney v Fremantle: Saturday 1:45 PM AEST UNSW Canberra Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS-vs-Fremantle.png

upload_2018-4-14_8-2-17.png

upload_2018-4-14_8-2-38.png
SUMMARY
After escaping a suspension for his hit on Gold Coast midfielder Jarryd Lyons, Fremantle ruck Aaron Sandilands looms as a key player against the Giants in Canberra. The veteran gets his hands on the footy so much around stoppages that his onballers get plenty of opportunities, and with Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe in stunning form, the Dockers will be looking to gain control of the midfield battle. Fyfe and Lachie Neale shared 21 clearances against the Suns but GWS star Stephen Coniglio has started the season brilliantly, and with Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel and Callan Ward alongside him, the Giants' midfield runs far deeper than Fremantle. Docker defender Alex Pearce has taken some big-name scalps so far this year in his return to footy and gun Giant Jeremy Cameron might be the next forward in his sights this week, but if the home side can give him decent supply, stopping Cameron might be his hardest task of the season.

WHERE AND WHEN: UNSW Canberra Oval, Saturday, April 14, 1.45pm AEST

LAST FIVE MEETINGS
R19, 2017, GWS 13.20 (98) d Fremantle 13.8 (86) at Spotless Stadium
R22, 2016, GWS 19.15 (129) d Fremantle 5.7 (37) at Spotless Stadium
R7, 2016, GWS 14.11 (95) d Fremantle 11.11 (77) at Subiaco Oval
R18, 2015, Fremantle 12.12 (84) d GWS 9.9 (63) at Subiaco Oval
R17, 2014, Fremantle 21.10 (136) d GWS 9.6 (60) at Subiaco Oval

THE SIX POINTS
1. The Giants trailed by 15 points at three-quarter time against the Dockers in 2017 before kicking five final-quarter goals to two. Stephen Coniglio starred with 27 disposals and six tackles.

2. GWS is ranked fourth for inside 50s and second for marks inside 50; Fremantle is ninth for inside 50s and equal 12thfor marks.

3. The Giants and Dockers will clash for the eighth time and Fremantle holds a narrow advantage, winning four games to three. Fremantle won the first four games, but GWS has won the past three.

4. Fremantle's scoring has improved this season; in 2017 the Dockers averaged just 73 points per game, but so far in 2018 they're averaging 87. The Giants are ranked second for scoring in 2018, kicking 105 points per game.

5. The Giants have dominated their opposition at UNSW Canberra Oval recently winning their last seven matches, including three by more than 80 points. Fremantle has played in Canberra once before in round 15, 2002, losing to North Melbourne by one point.

6. It's hard to believe the Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe (51st) isn't ranked inside the top 50 of the Schick Official AFL Player Ratings, but coming off 38 possessions, 14 clearances, eight tackles, seven inside 50s and a goal, he'll be roaring up the rankings in no time.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR…
Fremantle forward Cam McCarthy starred the last time he was in Canberra with five goals as the Giants beat Gold Coast in round four, 2015, and he'll need another big haul if the Dockers are to beat his old side.

PREDICTION: Greater Western Sydney by 22 points

Delighted Sandilands is playing. Look forward to watching him and Fyfe, who has a rare kind of class.

Forecast has improved through the week, and I think That's significant

"Mostly sunny morning. Medium (50%) chance of showers late this afternoon and evening. Winds northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h increasing to 40 to 50 km/h in the morning then tending westerly 35 to 50 km/h in the evening."

Manuka is a is a big ground with a great, but hard surface. Problem for visiting teams is it suits our runners, and it's a challenge to match our spread. Rain would neutralise that somewhat. The Manuka a crowd is great and gets behind the guys as well.

Last night showed we are still in the stage of he season where the pecking order s getting sorted out, and I think the Bookies prices if up to $5 for a Freo win is silly on form.

Think we need Dawson to follow Sandilands everywhere, he'll struggle to beat him, but needs to stay in the contest and limit his options. Very much doubt we try and tag Fyfe in the hard tag sense, but entirely possible Cogs will run with him and try to limit his influence.

Jezza's been in great fettle this year, and Toby back will help a lot. Patton and Himmelburg haven't been getting it through he sticks this year so far and can hopefully lift.

Think it'll be a close contest, as was last year at Spotless and hope we get the 4 points, which is all that matters.

Oh.. and please 44 fit players at the end of the game. Two broken bones for us last week and the horrible injury to Tim Broomhead. Please no more.

Last edited:
I'd have thought Fremantle would push GWS today, but Manuka Oval is a tough ground to play GWS on.

Hope for a win but despite the return of Tobes not confident with Scull, Kelly and Lobb all missing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I didn't realise you had so many outs

injuries?

Freo in reasonable form and seem to play well against GWS.

Interested to see how they transition out of defence - they won’t get away with turn overs like they have in previous weeks against good teams like GWS.

Still don’t see how ‘you just dropped the World Cup Sheridan’ gets a game.

Reckon this will be close

I didn't realise you had so many outs

injuries?

How many teams could lose Kelly and bring in Greene and Griffen?

Simpson is not much of a downsize Lobb today, considering they are up against Sandilands.

It's pretty much a non issue. The midfield brigade is still excellent.

i think the ground favour GWS more, so GWS by six goal .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like any fan always hoping for the win but tbh if Freo look organised, kick 60+ and end up losing by <30 it won't be a disaster.

Freo showing their best has improved on last year but really hoping their worst has as well.

Sucks for Langdon after one of his best games last week. Happy with the replacement , Tucker reportedly very good in the WAFL last couple of weeks so gets another chance to secure a best 22 spot.

This is where we will see if Freo have improved. We have and will win games at home we are expected to win, but against quality sides away we have been awful.
If we can get up or at least keep it around 4 goals in a higher scoring game, that would be very pleasing

GWS by about 5 goals. Would be supremely happy is we could get around their mark and give them a good scare.

Dockers were woeful first up but have impressed at last 2 starts, albeit at lesser level. Stepping up in class here but Giants have mixed their form and fitness issues still a concern. I may be wrong but think Dockers having their first run on this track. Fancy taking the nice odds on Freo. Betting on Dockers- maybe I'm losing my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back