• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-Melbourne.png
2.PNG
Where and when: MCG, Monday June 10, 3.20pm AEST

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG
High (70%) chance of showers in the morning with gusty winds, then a sunny afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning. Winds northerly 30 to 45 km/h turning west to northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h during the morning then tending north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening.

What it means for Collingwood: A win would complete a successful first half of the season before the third-placed Pies enjoy a well-earned rest, but a second successive upset loss at the MCG would raise some doubts.

What it means for Melbourne: Simon Goodwin's team needs to recapture some semblance of the uncompromising brand they created last year, and only that will do against a rebounding Collingwood. Victory could kickstart the 16th-placed Demons on a long road to recovery.

The stat: The Demons have been hot favourites in their past two clashes against the Pies but have failed miserably on both occasions – by 16 points in the last round of 2017, thus missing the finals, and by 42 points in last year's Queen's Birthday clash.

The match-up: Brodie Grundy v Max Gawn
In the eyes of many, Magpie big man Grundy (ranked No.3 in the Official AFL Player Ratings) has taken over from Demon counterpart Gawn (No.1) as the AFL's premier ruckman, so here's the perfect opportunity to settle it – at least for now.

It's a big week for: Sam Weideman
It'll also be a long week for the young key forward after he fluffed a chance to be the hero in his AFL return against Adelaide in Darwin, missing an otherwise regulation set shot in the dying seconds. He'll be keen to atone in his first Queen's Birthday game against the club his father and grandfather represented.

Sam Weideman (left) will be desperate to make amends for his costly miss. Picture: AFL Photos
weideman111MeAd19SB327136858.JPG

Big call: Demon accumulator Clayton Oliver to break the handball record of 35 held by Crow Matt Crouch.

Prediction: Magpies by 23 points

Source: AFL Website

I think with the 4 defenders added back into the Demons that they will get up today.

Melbourne by 22 points.

Great cause today, let’s hope for a great game :thumbsu:

Good to see Lever back today too

I think with the 4 defenders added back into the Demons that they will get up today.

Melbourne by 22 points.

Great cause today, let’s hope for a great game :thumbsu:

Good to see Lever back today too

I’d be concerned about the fitness of Lever & May. Pies have speed up forward, that I think Stevo & De Goey will take advantage of today. Think they both bag 3-4.
Ruck battle will be good to watch

Excited to see how May and Lever go together, although I'd probably have given Lever another week at Casey.

Adding 4 smart defenders and ball users to the back line (May, Lever, Salem and Hore) is going to make it easy to watch when the ball is in our back half, it's been nothing but panic with Frost, McDonald, Wagner, etc during the year.

I got a feeling you will get up also, and we won't be at the pointy end if we don't pull our finger out.

This is a game we should win.
You’ll be at the pointy end. You’re too good not to be. We have a decent record against you, and we won’t win a heap more, but this is kind of the day we’d lift for, like our GF. I just think we will find something, but I could be horribly wrong, you could flog us by 50-70 with JDG and Stephenson kicking 4 each and ripping apart our defence.

I’d be concerned about the fitness of Lever & May. Pies have speed up forward, that I think Stevo & De Goey will take advantage of today. Think they both bag 3-4.
Ruck battle will be good to watch

It will be interesting to see the match ups with the demons defence on Collingwood me forwards.

Yes this ruck duel will be awesome

The key will be the midfield. Starts with Gawn beating Grundy. Essentially we need to keep the ball away from the Collingwood midfielders as much as possible, and when they do get it apply a heap of pressure to cause scrappy entries. That’s where our backline can thrive, Lever to intercept across HB with Salem and Hore mopping up ground ball.

If we allow Collingwood space to kick cleanly then they’ll just slot it up high to big Cox. Going our way we need to keep the ball clean going in, I know it’s easier said than done with our B grade entries but if we can kick it cleanly to McDonald and Weidemann that’ll go a long way to helping us stay in it.

Above all, we have to be accurate. Wasted chances allow Collingwood to gain possession and transition, and when they control the ball they can hurt us on the rebound. We aren’t fast and our midfielders have been inherently lazy with their two way running.

It’ll really come down to Gawn v Grundy to be honest. No excuses for workrate though, you know what Collingwood will bring. Elite side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back