Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 11 Eagles v Blues Sun August 9th 3:35pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Blues by a goal or less

• Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Blues by a lot

• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the worst commentary team ever assembled?

BT - ok in small doses, the rest are horrible.
Darcy
Ling
Daisy
Basil

I'd question why you need 5 commentators in the first place. Ling and Daisy are not required at all, add absolutely nothing to the broadcast.
Basil being the only person actually at the game could offer something of use.

Don't love all of Fox's commentators but at least they aren't bloated and actually call the game with some insight rather than 7's team basically just circle jerking each other off all game long.

BT is ok in small doses
Darcy is an ok caller but loves to jump On the popular opinion bandwagon, rarely gets off the fence for anything else
Ling offer Nothing not sure how he gets a gig
Daisy I gave the benifit of the doubt, but her footy knowledge isn’t that good, doesn’t offer insite.

Good effort by the Blues against a very good side at home.

Losing Martin hurt and Cripps & Casboult are playing injured. We also have a number of players missing. Really impressed with pressure and style of play. Fitness under Russell is becoming better and better.

TDK showed his talent and Cottrell did a couple of nice things. Important now we keep up effort for rest of the season. Can't fall away.

Improvement in Setterfield Kennedy Fisher Williamson Walsh continues.

Expect to see Honey Polson O'Brien in next few weeks. Marchbank & Dow after that. We are well on the right track

I stayed away from the matchday thread, but I see I just missed the usual bullshit. wah wah the umpires wah wah. Umpires don't cause a 40 point turn around you campaigners.

You forgot to add the part of about supplying your own umpires. That only happens in Perth.
You are aware that when they flew in victorian umpires for a few games they quickly stopped it as we got way more frees.

"It's only Carlton fans sooking... Oh and also team x and y who also hate us, their posters too"

"This is every WCE thread, you are delusional if you think we got looked after"

"Blah blah blah blah"

In closing, Whateley said - “There were mistakes both ways, if you want to tally them up the Blues were on the wrong side of it. It will drive people mad the inconsistency of that list.”

This article also overlooks the two stone cold, obvious frees (among some others) that were 'non calls' being; Naitanui deep in our forward 50 which was clearly HTB and Ryan dropping the ball whilst being tackled not once, but twice that directly led to a WCE goal.

But yeah, it was a very balanced match from an officiating standpoint, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

"It's only Carlton fans sooking... Oh and also team x and y who also hate us, their posters too"

"Blah blah blah blah"

This article also overlooks the two stone cold, obvious frees (among some others) that were 'non calls' being; Naitanui deep in our forward 50 which was clearly HTB and Ryan dropping the ball whilst being tackled not once, but twice that directly led to a WCE goal.

But yeah, it was a very balanced match from an officiating standpoint, nothing to see here :rolleyes:
Started that petition yet?

"Blah blah blah blah"

Ok say there was a 2 goal disadvantage Carlton lost by 4 goals. If you are going to leave it up to 1-2 umpiring decisions to win/lose a game it comes down to luck and sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Blah blah blah blah"

You're embarrassing yourself now. I'd be taking aim at your game-plan that coughs up match-winning leads week after week.

Ok say there was a 2 goal disadvantage Carlton lost by 4 goals. If you are going to leave it up to 1-2 umpiring decisions to win/lose a game it comes down to luck and sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.

Except that is isn't 1-2 umpiring decisions is it? It's a far bigger number than that and you're being disingenuous to suggest it was that few. As I've said all along, they were at absolutely crucial stages of the match too.

I have never once claimed that we lost purely because of the umpires and have commended the WCE team of being able to take advantage of their opportunities. But it's obvious as hell if you watch the game, that the decisions either against us that were incorrect or non-calls that were clear free kicks came, resulted in significant shifts in the games momentum and funnily enough, were either scoring opportunities for WCE or would have been scoring opportunities for us. It absolutely kills you.

The umpires dragged WCE back into the match with a series of near comical errors and yes, absolutely WCE were good enough to capitlise and we were not able to stem the flow - I'm not denying that. But it's the total inconstancy and unbalanced way in which the game was officiated that is my issue. I'd suggest it was at least a 3-4 goal swing.

You're embarrassing yourself now. I'd be taking aim at your game-plan that coughs up match-winning leads week after week.

"You're embarrassing yourself now" = "I'm not enjoying what you have to say and have no response, so I will just attempt to discredit you"

Except that is isn't 1-2 umpiring decisions is it? It's a far bigger number than that and you're being disingenuous to suggest it was that few. As I've said all along, they were at absolutely crucial stages of the match too.

I have never once claimed that we lost purely because of the umpires and have commended the WCE team of being able to take advantage of their opportunities. But it's obvious as hell if you watch the game, that the decisions either against us that were incorrect or non-calls that were clear free kicks came, resulted in significant shifts in the games momentum and funnily enough, were either scoring opportunities for WCE or would have been scoring opportunities for us. It absolutely kills you.

The umpires dragged WCE back into the match with a series of near comical errors and yes, absolutely WCE were good enough to capitlise and we were not able to stem the flow - I'm not denying that. But it's the total inconstancy and unbalanced way in which the game was officiated that is my issue. I'd suggest it was at least a 3-4 goal swing.

"You're embarrassing yourself now" = "I'm not enjoying what you have to say and have no response, so I will just attempt to discredit you"

The umpires didn't determine the outcome. I get it though - it's easier not to face the abyss that the Carlton Football Club continues to dwell in.

What tends to happen in games lately I feel is that visiting teams feel the compulsion to "take the crowd out of it". Gotta get up early, gotta establish that early lead, keep the noise down. But what it ends up accomplishing is that they burn far too many petrol tickets and before you know it the Eagles are mowing down that early lead and the crowd is getting even more amped up watching a comeback.

I would suggest that SPS was in a bear hug and the ball was held to him by Darling a guy 4 inches and 25 kilos bigger than him. There was no way he could dispose of the ball but he didn't do the "silly salmon" to pretend that he was trying to dispose of a ball he clearly couldn't.

A fist full of jumper is a tackle. Has been since the game first started 150 years ago.
Should've done the "Silly Salmon" then.

I'd say if Darling was on top of him it would've been ball up.

I don't agree with it being paid a free kick by the way.

Fist full of jumper had no impact on whether Ryan lost a handle on the ball or not, just completely slipped out of his hands.

Some of these criticisms are out of hand. Yes, where a player has no prior opportunity and the ball is held to them they can't make a genuine attempt because the ball is just held in. The HTB decisions against SPS, Yeo aren't in the spirit of the game, like the one against Jarrod Cameron and Patrick Dangerfield last week.

The no genuine attempt rule is different from to incorrect disposal rule. The non-decisions in case where Naitanui picks up the ball and in the process of attempting to handpass is tackled and the ball is knocked free and goes to ground then that is clearly not a free-kick as it's clearly stated in the laws of the game. He had no prior opportunity, made an attempt and the umpire made the right call.

It's not the rule but scenarios like Naitanui's except when possession is retained by the team with the ball then that should be paid as a throw to a teammate.

Last edited:

Cripps did that all game so the umps were consistent on that at least.

"Blah blah blah blah"

some posters are delusional if they think it was on this game. its been going on for years.

Back