Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 4 - Lions v Pies Thurs April 6th 7:35pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett Jnr did that, but it was just one string to his bow, not the entire bow.
He also went and got his own ball whenever he wanted, was near-on impossible to tackle, was tough in the contest, was great on both sides of his body and overhead, and kicked a sh*tload of goals at will.
Daicos is a super talent, but this is an insane comparison. He’s not at all a similar player to Ablett Jnr.
Both major stat padders. Junior was the first to come to mind in that regard. Obviously a bloke who has ended his career an all time great has a fair bit on a boy who has been on the scene for five minutes.

Game plan was fine. It was the skill errors and poor decision making, causing turnovers that stuffed us up.

Brisbane's pressure was great after quarter time, reckon they probably would have beaten every other team last night in that form.

I do still wonder/worry about your KPF stocks, Mihochek was great (even if he missed a couple of sodas) but only a medium sized forward.

Honestly can see why the Pies are making a massive pitch for Mitch Georgiades, he would thrive at Collingwood with your elite midfield/ball users giving him much better service than what he is currently getting at Alberton.

Both major stat padders. Junior was the first to come to mind in that regard. Obviously a bloke who has ended his career an all time great has a fair bit on a boy who has been on the scene for five minutes.

Yeah, I just think they are far different players from the get go. Daicos is never going to be tough and ferocious in the contest like the likes of Ablett, Martin, Cripps etc., he’s a pure outside player.

Brisbane's pressure was great after quarter time, reckon they probably would have beaten every other team last night in that form.

I do still wonder/worry about your KPF stocks, Mihochek was great (even if he missed a couple of sodas) but only a medium sized forward.

Honestly can see why the Pies are making a massive pitch for Mitch Georgiades, he would thrive at Collingwood with your elite midfield/ball users giving him much better service than what he is currently getting at Alberton.
Haven't heard about the Pies going after him. But he and Mihocek are listed as 192cm with Mihocek 92kgs and Georgiades 88kg. Although Mihocek is 30 and Georgiades 21.

Yep. Good pick up, I was going to mention the week before as the last 15 mins of that game was reminiscent of the plan that the Lions applied to you last night.

That forwardline of Richmond’s didn’t work one bit for 3 and a half quarters.

But once some run was added to it with Cumberland injected into the game and Bolton moving deep forward it changed somewhat. Richmond will have learnt plenty from that little passage. And so too it seems the Lions.
You’re right. We’re no chance of winning another game for the rest of the season now.

You’re right. We’re no chance of winning another game for the rest of the season now.
I think if Jamie Elliott kicked the goal in the last quarter it would've really turned things. Pies are still the best team in it imo. I don't trust Brisbane to do damage in melbourne and pies have always had the dees measure. Who knows with Geelong.

Those Fred Astaire slippery sidestepping skills, wow.
Now That's Entertainment!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will be a high variance scoring team if all their shots at goal are like last night. They make it very hard on themselves when playing good opposition. Sometimes the variance will work in their favour but on other occasions (particularly against better opposition) they'll rack up behinds like nobodies business.

I thought last night the scores for both teams were roughly as expected.

Collingwood will be a high variance scoring team if all their shots at goal are like last night. They make it very hard on themselves when playing good opposition. Sometimes the variance will work in their favour but on other occasions (particularly against better opposition) they'll rack up behinds like nobodies business.

I thought last night the scores for both teams were roughly as expected.
You have got to be joking.

Yes Brisbane kicked a lot of easy goals on the rebound but Collingwood's kicking for goal was terrible.

Elliott didn't look like it last night, Daicos miss on the run from 25 metres.... I could go on.

The better team on the night won but no alarm bells for the Magpies.

You have got to be joking.

Yes Brisbane kicked a lot of easy goals on the rebound but Collingwood's kicking for goal was terrible.

Elliott didn't look like it last night, Daicos miss on the run from 25 metres.... I could go on.

The better team on the night won but no alarm bells for the Magpies.

If you think Elliot taking multiple set shots from the 50 arc is going to be high probability for Collingwood then IDK what to say.

If you think Elliot taking multiple set shots from the 50 arc is going to be high probability for Collingwood then IDK what to say.
Interesting graph. Not sure I believe it as I don't reckon it would consider who had the ball in their hands at the time.

Elliott missed 3 from inside 50, one was only about 35 metres.

Johnson too missed a couple he would usually convert comfortably.

I also mentioned Naicos in my earlier post.

Interesting graph. Not sure I believe it as I don't reckon it would consider who had the ball in their hands at the time.

Elliott missed 3 from inside 50, one was only about 35 metres.

Johnson too missed a couple he would usually convert comfortably.

I also mentioned Naicos in my earlier post.

It is just basic math, there is nothing not to believe. It isn't some dude sitting there allocating expected scores arbitrarily. It also doesn't matter who has the ball. There will always be a level of variance on each expected score.

Same concept as strokes gained in golf.

It is just basic math, there is nothing not to believe. It isn't some dude sitting there allocating expected scores arbitrarily. It also doesn't matter who has the ball. There will always be a level of variance on each expected score.

Same concept as strokes gained in golf.
Huh?

Of course it matters who has the ball.

I'd be backing Elliott or Johnson from 45 metres out, ahead of a Tom Mitchell who can barely kick that distance.

More disposals
More marks
More inside 50’s
More scoring shots.

Clearances and turn overs from their pressure got us. Too many easy slingshot goals for them. Plus no rucks (something we need to keep adjusting to)

But we’ll be right. It’s becoming an annoying annual event to put this trip to Brisbane behind us and move on.
giphy.gif

He shows one sign of weakness and everyone jumps down his throat, it's crazy

He was absolutely huge again, yes he shirked the contest on a few occasions but the damage he did with >90% of his disposals is worth way more than the damage he did to his team by pulling out of a few contests

Scary thing for the pies is how much of a total shellacking it would have been without a 2nd year back flanker

Now you are just being stupid.
Use your words if you want to have a rational conversation about your game plan.
The conversation went down the path of stupid when you expected people to believe Richmond kicking 3 junk time goals was the same as what the Lions did yesterday.

Pies well and truly had Richmond’s measure all night last week.

Back