Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 4 - Lions v Pies Thurs April 6th 7:35pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I always liked Markov. He came us to at the worst possible time in terms of getting game time. He's pretty solid all round and a great athlete. Good sub option for sure.
Is he purely a defensive player? Shuts down his opponent or is he an offensive weapon out of d50?

He is 188cm, so we might give him a gig at FB for the next 10 years 👍🏼

The game went as expected and the Lions won at home, I doubt McRrae is even remotely concerned about the result in Brisbane. Daicos is the best player in the AFL right now ( argue that if you like) and Collingwood has a dream run in the next six weeks while Brisbane has to travel three times. The Lions will not finish above Collingwood at the end of the year. The Pies biggest worry will be Melbourne, my Cats are out of the picture and I don't see any other team capable of beating them on the MCG, certainly not the Lions...
We play interstate 3 times in 4 weeks

We will bounce back and smash the saints even though its at AO.

Things in regards to the ruck will be better when Cox comes back.

But the key is Tom Wilson he needs to given a look in

We just lacked that piller in the middle.

Also we need to sort our selfs up and organsie our selfs alot more.

We gave away far too many free kicks in quarter 2 and 3 in the centre and paid the price.

Also we licked points whereres brisbane kicked goals.

This makes a differrence.

Need to have a rest over easter and juet out again and smash stkilda next match.

Think we got carried away early with trying to knock the ball on and use it by hand. We were trying to be to cute and that hurt up.

Frampton should have rucked, 9 years in the AFL only went back last year before that played as a ruckman. The times you got on top in the middle the dominance the big O allowed you made you really dynamic and devastating out of there.

Look we shot ourselves in the foot a bit but you were still the deserving winner
Frampton is not a good ruck. He is a failed forward that we moved back last year with some success, otherwise he was on the delist pile. He was also predominantly a forward in the SANFL and at Port. Sure, his height would allow him to pinch hit in there, but I don’t think Collingwood will want him going in as the number one ruck.

I can see Pies going on a nice winning streak from now on.

Say win the next 6-7 matches in a row.

Fair start to the season thus far.

3-1 is where i had them 4 rounds in anyway.

Next 2 saints and essendon Collingwood then to make it 6-1

Frampton is not a good ruck. He is a failed forward that we moved back last year with some success, otherwise he was on the delist pile. He was also predominantly a forward in the SANFL and at Port. Sure, his height would allow him to pinch hit in there, but I don’t think Collingwood will want him going in as the number one ruck.
Had 10 games at Port with 25 plus hit outs in the SANFL. Not expecting him to be a star just to give a contest. Moore is the other option.

I am not to worried about the loss tbh, we needed to work out how we looked without a ruckman and plan forward from there.
There is a long way to go in the season and i think we will win more games than we will lose.

Brisbane are a good team but i think if we meet at the MCG later in the year, with some ruck stocks back, then the result may be different.
I am not a cocky supporter (tipped lions by 2 goals last night) but i am quietly confident of what we can do this year.
Where I thought we would slide this year after our incredible turnaround last year, i can see something with this group.
We are going to be ok, as I dont think there would be too many teams wishing to play us at the G in September.

Watching the replay I cannot see any ruck dominance.Oscar seemed determined to shove the ball down the throat of any nearby Vollingwood player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not to worried about the loss tbh, we needed to work out how we looked without a ruckman and plan forward from there.
There is a long way to go in the season and i think we will win more games than we will lose.

Brisbane are a good team but i think if we meet at the MCG later in the year, with some ruck stocks back, then the result may be different.
I am not a cocky supporter (tipped lions by 2 goals last night) but i am quietly confident of what we can do this year.
Where I thought we would slide this year after our incredible turnaround last year, i can see something with this group.
We are going to be ok, as I dont think there would be too many teams wishing to play us at the G in September.
Your backline got brutalised.
Quaynor and Daicos good offensively but allowed goals on the flip side. McCreery was questionable. Moore and Frampton couldn’t hold the talls either.

Nothing to do with a lack of ruckman.

Great response from the Brisbane Lions after a dismal last few weeks, and with Daniher in this rich vein of form, I can see him taking the mantle of the premier forward of the competition.

With Gardiner, Rich and Gunston still to come back, this team can really push for finals come September.

?????

Gunston was playing.

Watching the replay I cannot see any ruck dominance.Oscar seemed determined to shove the ball down the throat of any nearby Vollingwood player
He had a game high 11 clearances. He has only gone double digits twice before in his whole career.

Your backline got brutalised.
Quaynor and Daicos good offensively but allowed goals on the flip side. McCreery was questionable. Moore and Frampton couldn’t hold the talls either.

Nothing to do with a lack of ruckman.
I’d like to think you watch the game more thoroughly than just individually.

Personnel on the night wasn’t the issue. It was our game plan that got exposed by a better side on the night. Check how many goals the Lions kicked from within 25.

Personnel on the night wasn’t the issue. It was our game plan that got exposed by a better side on the night. Check how many goals the Lions kicked from within 25.
Backline was well beaten.
Game plan and also individually.

Fly has done very little wrong since being appointed Pies coach. We will never see a team go through the whole season undefeated (aside from Cameron, I felt like last night Jeremey Howe's absence was profoundly felt in how your backline set up and was structured)

Brisbane will win most of their games at the Gabba, I wouldn't be so quick to be so down on your game plan

Early on he did that.

Later he realised that he could just smash the ball forward with ease or grab it out and kick it. That's when Collingwood started getting mauled.

Backline was well beaten.
Game plan and also individually.
I’m not too concerned about the individuals. Same individuals that kept Richmond to 1 goal at HT last week and only conceded 9 goals from almost 50 i50s the week before against Port. They’ll be right if the game plan doesn’t collapse.

He does play like ablett junior, in the way he gets his possessions. Junior was the king of the 1-2, and running around the back of a teammate for a handball. Coll like it in his hands because like junior he uses it well. is an absolute must for super coach teams in the way he just racks it up. A lot of cheap stats. Super coach captain !!

Ablett Jnr did that, but it was just one string to his bow, not the entire bow.
He also went and got his own ball whenever he wanted, was near-on impossible to tackle, was tough in the contest, was great on both sides of his body and overhead, and kicked a sh*tload of goals at will.
Daicos is a super talent, but this is an insane comparison. He’s not at all a similar player to Ablett Jnr.

Last edited:
I’m not too concerned about the individuals. Same individuals that kept Richmond to 1 goal at HT last week and only conceded 9 goals from almost 50 i50s the week before against Port. They’ll be right if the game plan doesn’t collapse.
Yep. Good pick up, I was going to mention the week before as the last 15 mins of that game was reminiscent of the plan that the Lions applied to you last night.

That forwardline of Richmond’s didn’t work one bit for 3 and a half quarters.

But once some run was added to it with Cumberland injected into the game and Bolton moving deep forward it changed somewhat. Richmond will have learnt plenty from that little passage. And so too it seems the Lions.

Fly has done very little wrong since being appointed Pies coach. We will never see a team go through the whole season undefeated (aside from Cameron, I felt like last night Jeremey Howe's absence was profoundly felt in how your backline set up and was structured)

Brisbane will win most of their games at the Gabba, I wouldn't be so quick to be so down on your game plan
Game plan was fine. It was the skill errors and poor decision making, causing turnovers that stuffed us up.

Back