Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 6 - Cats v Swans Sat April 22nd 7:25pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this all a little odd, as I and others vehemently defended Lynch's bump as a football action...yet there's plenty in here crucifying Duncan, for what is not a black and white situation at all.

a) Fox runs past the ball, so is not contesting the ball

b) Fox slips, and cannons into Duncan - very similar to Brayshaw and Libba last night

c) Duncan braces, rather than electing to bump

d) The main impact from the hit comes from the whiplash, and the head hitting into the ground

e) Fox does not leave the ground, nor suffer any injury

f) The ball is in the vicinity, so it's not off the ball

Now with everything we've seen over these past few weeks, I legitimately do not know how this will pan out. But I do think that this is not an open and shut case, like say the Jonas hit today.

It's very murky given all the aforementioned factors, and it's quite an unusual incident that will be hard to both grade and decide on a penalty/or not at all.

These discussions shouldn't be about tribal differences - perceived or otherwise -, they should be about the facts at hand and an objectively correct outcome.

If Duncan does get a week, we are then saying he's not allowed to protect himself when another player comes at him. We also could be saying that bracing to protect, is still a bannable offence, so get out of the way or try to tackle them somehow without hurting yourself.

If he does get a week, it'll fall in line with the trend of banning contact...and that is inherently problematic.

TL; DR - If you believe Lynch should have gotten off due to what was a football incident, then you probably should feel the same about this incident - even if it is a player from a team that you hate.
I was in that thread defending Lynch hard despite not liking him or Richmond.
I also typed Richmond fans are way to bias to be able to do a similar thing if the situation was reversed. The proof has arrived already.

It's time for the AFL to take Geelongs biased home ground advantage away.

The only Victorian team who has a true suburban ground advantage Which is massive compared to all the other Victorian clubs. The major reason the geelong flogs make finals year after year.

Absolute raught of the system.

Disgusting..

When did Geelong become a suburb of Melbourne? 🫤

Rugby League has a stat that a team has never won the premiership when conceding 50pts in a game during the same season.

Is there something similar in the AFL? A margin? A low score or number of goals? Or conceding a certain score or number of goals?
Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few premiers over the years who got smashed during the season at one point or another

Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few premiers over the years who got smashed during the season at one point or another
Famously Richmond in early 2017 versus Crows, an annihilation, the same team they turned the tables in the GF. I assume the Crows one-sided victory in HandA caused the confidence to advance buy a ticket on their return flight to seat the premiership cup.

The Swans may be in much deeper waters than Tigers early 2017. They have twice been emasculated by Geelong, these types of consecutive thrashings will cause ruptures of self doubt through the whole club. Injuries will ve used as a part justification. But do injuries explain being outcoached, and lacking sufficient effort and stubborness in the face of the onslaught?

Rugby League has a stat that a team has never won the premiership when conceding 50pts in a game during the same season.

Is there something similar in the AFL? A margin? A low score or number of goals? Or conceding a certain score or number of goals?

Geelong's average losing margin in the 2008 h&a season wad 86 points. For the entire season including finals it was 56 points and they made the grand final.

Early in 2004 Port got done by North by 96 points. In less than a half from midway through the 2nd quarter North scored 104 to 3.

Port won the flag and North missed finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why anyone is surprised...
We had no backline, so pretty straight forward that their forward entries were much more effective, and we also miss out on scores generated from defense (which over the last couple of years has been up around 50% of our scoring).

Predicted before the match if Jack Reiwoldt is kicking 4 against us, no surprise that Hawkins and Cameron kicked 10

Doubt it- lots of teams turn their form around. Eg. The 1989 finals Geelong got flogged by the bombers in qualifying final- like 70 points. Two weeks later it was the reverse - cats flogged them by 70?

Not sure why anyone is surprised...
We had no backline, so pretty straight forward that their forward entries were much more effective, and we also miss out on scores generated from defense (which over the last couple of years has been up around 50% of our scoring).

Predicted before the match if Jack Reiwoldt is kicking 4 against us, no surprise that Hawkins and Cameron kicked 10

It was more so the way Geelong were hitting in harder. They looked bigger and stronger than majority of the Sydney boys. That would be a concern as it's really not something you can rectify immediately.

Sydney will blow away teams early on pure class alone but the moment opposition sides work their way back into the game, Sydney welter as we have seen on numerous occasions end of last year and a couple games this year.

It doesn't help when some of your highest earning players (Heeney) are not contributing. Heeney is 27 now.

It was more so the way Geelong were hitting in harder. They looked bigger and stronger than majority of the Sydney boys. That would be a concern as it's really not something you can rectify immediately.

Sydney will blow away teams early on pure class alone but the moment opposition sides work their way back into the game, Sydney welter as we have seen on numerous occasions end of last year and a couple games this year.

It doesn't help when some of your highest earning players (Heeney) are not contributing. Heeney is 27 now.

I mean none of that should come as a surprise either, we were literally the youngest team in comp last week.
Geelong were bigger and stronger, we are a good 2-3 seasons away from being close to them physically.

Agree Heeney hasn't been living up tom the hype, but its hard when young mids are being beaten, meaning our forward entries are s**t.

I mean none of that should come as a surprise either, we were literally the youngest team in comp last week.
Geelong were bigger and stronger, we are a good 2-3 seasons away from being close to them physically.

Agree Heeney hasn't been living up tom the hype, but its hard when young mids are being beaten, meaning our forward entries are s**t.

Well said. Smaller, less experience, away game, a LOT of missing talent (McCartins, Rampe, Hickey, Frankin, Reid) - no surprises, just no miracle win.

We may have a couple of weak links as well, but out of respect for their achievements...we have to give them this year.

Last edited:
Unless you manage to somehow expand GMHBA to hold 60,000+ it won't happen.
The club once the upgrade has been finished next year can ask for more than 9 home games considering the stadium will hold over 40k….we are still the only Victorian side that gets less home games at our own stadium than any other club

Get the tissues ready

Famously Richmond in early 2017 versus Crows, an annihilation, the same team they turned the tables in the GF. I assume the Crows one-sided victory in HandA caused the confidence to advance buy a ticket on their return flight to seat the premiership cup.

The Swans may be in much deeper waters than Tigers early 2017. They have twice been emasculated by Geelong, these types of consecutive thrashings will cause ruptures of self doubt through the whole club. Injuries will ve used as a part justification. But do injuries explain being outcoached, and lacking sufficient effort and stubborness in the face of the onslaught?

Or more famously, GWS consistent weak-hearted failures , sending them into deep water outside the Continental shelf - probably the 2nd most un-salvageable club in the league, predictable failures in making the 8, having had innumerable first round picks, concessions and even the blessing of the great Sheedy.

Does Zero Culture, sniping supporters, a ludicrous manufactured image and a ‘money and run’ culture explain it?

I‘d bet Dylan Shiels haircut allowance it goes even deeper - that the ‘badge of irrelevance’ is never far from the trophy cabinet at Giants Stadium......there’s nothing else in it.

Or more famously, GWS consistent weak-hearted failures , sending them into deep water outside the Continental shelf - probably the 2nd most un-salvageable club in the league, predictable failures in making the 8, having had innumerable first round picks, concessions and even the blessing of the great Sheedy.

Does Zero Culture, sniping supporters, a ludicrous manufactured image and a ‘money and run’ culture explain it?

I‘d bet Dylan Shiels haircut allowance it goes even deeper - that the ‘badge of irrelevance’ is never far from the trophy cabinet at Giants Stadium......there’s nothing else in it.
Oh dear, that's a sad, emotional, and fragile deflection in a thread not about another Sydney club, but your Sydney club. Perhaps you are ... lost?

Cheer up, go again next week, another crack.

The club once the upgrade has been finished next year can ask for more than 9 home games considering the stadium will hold over 40k….we are still the only Victorian side that gets less home games at our own stadium than any other club

Get the tissues ready
Yeah I’m not getting into a home ground debate with a Geelong fan. There’s legitimate arguments both ways there but fully understand Geelong fans for the most part believe they’re hard done by, whilst others feel otherwise. I couldn’t care less, you’ll never play all your home games at GMHBA whilst it doesn’t seat 60000+ was all I was saying.

Oh dear, that's a sad, emotional, and fragile deflection in a thread not about another Sydney club, but your Sydney club. Perhaps you are ... lost?

Cheer up, go again next week, another crack.
Not lost at all, I know a stinking troll when I read one. Whats up, can’t think of any clever snipes this time?

I’d suggest the only thing sad and emotional is yourself - having to troll a Swans game autopsy.

Lemme guess, the other 12 Giants supporters didn’t invite you after the game😆😆

Back