Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 6 - Cats v Swans Sat April 22nd 7:25pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong-vs-Sydney.png

10th v 5th

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 6

GEELONG V SYDNEY
SATURDAY APRIL 22ND 7:25PM AEST (GMHBA)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams

CATS

B: E. Ratugolea, S. De Koning, T. Stewart
HB: J. Kolodjashnij, M. Blicavs, Z. Guthrie
C: I. Smith, M. Holmes, Z. Tuohy
HF: M. Duncan, T. Hawkins, G. Rohan
F: O. Henry, J. Cameron, B. Close
FOLL: J. Ceglar, T. Atkins, P. Dangerfield – C

I/C: J. Bowes, M. O‘Connor, C. Guthrie, G. Miers
EMG: B. Parfitt, M. Knevitt, T. Bruhn, S. Simpson

IN: G. Rohan, J. Ceglar
OUT: T. Stengle, R. Stanley (both injured), B. Parfitt (sub)

SWANS
B: B. Campbell, R. Fox, H. Cunningham
HB: O. Florent, J. Lloyd, N. Blakey
C: D. Stephens, C. Mills – C, J. McInerney
HF: E. Gulden, W. Hayward, J. Rowbottom
F: I. Heeney, L. McDonald, T. Papley
FOLL: P. Ladhams, L. Parker, Ch.Warner

I/C: M. Roberts, A. Francis, R. Clarke, H. McLean
EMG: Co.Warner, W. Gould, A. Sheldrick, L. McAndrew

IN: A. Francis, R. Clarke
OUT: J. Amartey (injured), Co.Warner (omitted), W. Gould (sub)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:
A true test for Geelong after beating up wooden spoon contenders for the last 2 weeks. This will depend on which Sydney side turns up.

Sydney by 15
Depends on which Sydney side turns up ? One with possibly the youngest side of the round again and the 7 dwarfs as their backline. Gallant last week but said more about Richmond unfortunately.

Depends on which Sydney side turns up ? One with possibly the youngest side of the round again and the 7 dwarfs as their backline. Gallant last week but said more about Richmond unfortunately.

Err well with how you guys play in Victoria from time to time, I wouldn't be surprised if you were not switched on and Geelong thumped you by 100 points.

Exactly. Sydney could win but it would take an unbelievable effort. Very young and missing those important structural pieces. A bit like when Geelong were missing 4 of their first 6 defenders.

Neither team looks to have improved from last year.
If anything, both gone backwards but with injuries to Hickey, (Ladhams is worse than Ceglar!), Reid, McCartin brothers, Rampe & now Amartey, this should be enough for Geelong to sneak over the line by a couple of goals.

If Rampe plays, I think Swans get it done. He's highly important to their structure against teams who have a decent amount of forward options.

They might mention it in commentary
Hilarious really given this year will be 80 years on the venue but for some reason the whinging about it has intensified in the last 5 or 10 years.
Funny what success does.
Neither team looks to have improved from last year.
If anything, both gone backwards but with injuries to Hickey, (Ladhams is worse than Ceglar!), Reid, McCartin brothers, Rampe & now Amartey, this should be enough for Geelong to sneak over the line by a couple of goals.

If Rampe plays, I think Swans get it done. He's highly important to their structure against teams who have a decent amount of forward options.
I think their lack of key ins means we should win. Ceglar is meh but the only fit ruck not playing so gets in by default really.
Rohan a good in for Stengle's absence. Shame about Bews not coming back in, would have backed him to get a crack at Papley.

In any case, win-lose. Just glad we're back home and unfurling a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be surprised if we can pinch this one, a well past it Jack Reiwoldt kicked 4 on our makeshift backline, Jez will have a field day and we will probably play Hawkins into form.
Yeah I think this had the potential to be a good game and even a strong away win if we had any semblance of a backline. Very hard to see how we stop them kicking a winning score now

Tommy got into some form last week, granted it was against the Eagles.
Although it was against two poor teams, he looked much more his old self the past twe weeks probably as fitness starts to come. He had no pre season after all.

Bizarrely though in comparison to the "eye test" he's only actually had one game poor in goal contributions - the duck egg against the Suns. Take his other four games - two the Cats did well in and two they struggled in - and it's 8 goals, 9 assists for over 4 direct goal contributions a game. That's actually more than the 3.76 a game last season. His next 4 opponents key backs from depleted stocks or youngsters in Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide and Richmond will struggle if he keeps building form and fitness.

Although it was against two poor teams, he looked much more his old self the past twe weeks probably as fitness starts to come. He had no pre season after all.

Bizarrely though in comparison to the "eye test" he's only actually had one game poor in goal contributions - the duck egg against the Suns. Take his other four games - two the Cats did well in and two they struggled in - and it's 8 goals, 9 assists for over 4 direct goal contributions a game. That's actually more than the 3.76 a game last season. His next 4 opponents key backs from depleted stocks or youngsters in Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide and Richmond will struggle if he keeps building form and fitness.

He's so much stronger and bigger than any defender currently in their prime, he'll still get his 2 or 3 goals per week even in his final year(s).
In many ways, you remember back to when Tony Lockett went to Sydney and he was noticeably heavier in stature but simply immovable once in front and on the lead.

He's so much stronger and bigger than any defender currently in their prime, he'll still get his 2 or 3 goals per week even in his final year(s).
In many ways, you remember back to when Tony Lockett went to Sydney and he was noticeably heavier in stature but simply immovable once in front and on the lead.
It also doesn't feel like we have too many truly elite key position defenders at the moment. At least ones with muscle on them. So I agree. Especially now that he has Cameron to do the roaming. Hawkins used to have to balance both while being double teamed. There's enough other threats now that this isn't the case. I'd hope he goes on in 2024 at least.

It's a credit to him that he is such a well rounded player. If he had been born 10 years earlier he would have been a dominant full forward but he has worked on his game year on year and found a way to prosper in modern football. Don't know if some Cats fans really understand what a gigantic hole he will leave when he retires.

Geelong should do it easily with so many out in the Sydney backline.

9 - Matt Stevic umpiring.

Have Sydney supporters forgiven the 2012 Grand Final?

It's a credit to him that he is such a well rounded player. If he had been born 10 years earlier he would have been a dominant full forward but he has worked on his game year on year and found a way to prosper in modern football. Don't know if some Cats fans really understand what a gigantic hole he will leave when he retires.

Was having this discussion on facey with a cats fan tonight - even if he came along 5 years earlier: Cameron Mooney who I love and was very grateful for to have him providing a target up forward, kicked 67 goals in 2007. A Hawkins that debuted in 2002-03 would have broken 80 on multiple occasions with that midfield at its peak

Back