Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also had many opportunities to score as well. If you generate 30+ scoring shots per game you're going to be winning most of them.
Conversely, Geelong were always going to run out of legs late after the monsoon in Brisbane a week earlier. That, coupled with our second best player of the match and leader (Dangerfield) off early in the 3rd quarter, masked what could just as easily have been an easy enough 6 or 7 goal win (remember, it was 32 points late on before the gas finally ran out for Geelong).

There's definitely two angles to look at things. I'm happy to acknowledge both but Carlton supporters are still sticking with injuries/umpiring/scoring chances as their get out of jail free card. Which is fair enough on the day with all of the emotion but it is seeping right through to the next match, it seems.

Luckily the players will have well and truly moved on and taken accountability for the loss last weekend. They will rectify things and beat the Pies this week, I reckon.

I'm happy to acknowledge both but Carlton supporters are still sticking with injuries/umpiring/scoring chances as their get out of jail free card.
Given our injury list, I'm actually content where we're sitting at right now because that means there's still plenty of upside.

What matters ultimately is having the list as fresh as possible for a finals run, a little bit of luck goes a long way.

Conversely, Geelong were always going to run out of legs late after the monsoon in Brisbane a week earlier. That, coupled with our second best player of the match and leader (Dangerfield) off early in the 3rd quarter, masked what could just as easily have been an easy enough 6 or 7 goal win (remember, it was 32 points late on before the gas finally ran out for Geelong).
So it's injuries and tough games the previous week that are your get out of jail free card? ;)

Given our injury list, I'm actually content where we're sitting at right now because that means there's still plenty of upside.

What matters ultimately is having the list as fresh as possible for a finals run, a little bit of luck goes a long way.
There's nothing wrong that. Pushback has only arrived from perceived attempts to invalidate last weekend's result.

Trust me, Geelong has dealt with important players being injured, suspended or broken in knockout finals over the past decade or so. But you still have to accept that the best side won on the day. And bringing umpiring into it is always a cop out.

Best to move on, rather than hang on, and that includes ignoring people who are quite obviously only trying to get a rise out of you.

So it's injuries and tough games the previous week that are your get out of jail free card? ;)
I believe we escaped imprisonment, but if Carlton ran over the top of us it would be - "well deserved, the best team won" - and that's it. We just knew we needed a 5 goal buffer late against Carlton (as much was said in our preview thread) and it turned out that way.

I believe we escaped imprisonment, but if Carlton ran over the top of us it would be - "well deserved, the best team won" - and that's it. We just knew we needed a 5 goal buffer late against Carlton (as much was said in our preview thread) and it turned out that way.
I can't see any skill of any Geelong players or coach that caused the misses directly in front.

Unless... mind powers???

I can't see any skill of any Geelong players or coach that caused the misses directly in front.

Unless... mind powers???
Like I said, there are two angles to look at every game which is why back and forth swapping of excuses is one of the most pathetic activities supporters can engage in. I'm only offering alternatives to show how weak such a pedantic exercise is. It's stuff better contained to a club's board at the very least.

Carlton also missed a lot of easy field kicks, which are just as relevant. Yet Geelong missed a number of effective tackles. Ultimately the side with better ball use and decision makers beat the ones with bulldozing force. This doesn't somehow mean the better side lost.

Nor can we deduce that Carlton with a full strength side would've automatically beaten Geelong with Dangerfield playing out the second half, Stewart in the side, the team not having played a wet slog a week ago and several players NOT missing tackles they would normally stick. All pointless hypotheticals, merely offered up when the "Carlton should've won" narrative continues to get rolled out.

Carlton missing their 4 best kicks only 'might' have used the ball more efficiently if they were playing.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Nor can we deduce that Carlton with a full strength side would've automatically beaten Geelong with Dangerfield playing out the second half, Stewart in the side, the team not having played a wet slog a week ago and several players NOT missing tackles they would normally stick. All pointless hypotheticals, merely offered up when the "Carlton should've won" narrative continues to get rolled out.
The point is that players from both teams have influence on whether a tackle is successful.

Not so with a wayward set shot.

Geelong got very lucky. They might get lucky again. They might not. We might get unlucky again. Might not.

The point is that players from both teams have influence on whether a tackle is successful.

Not so with a wayward set shot.

Geelong got very lucky. They might get lucky again. They might not. We might get unlucky again. Might not.
How does a side not known for its skill, failing to execute skills, make the other side lucky? The more skilful side, with better ball movement and conversion won the day. That happens often in sports.

Every event changes after a shot is a goal rather than a point, by the way. You do not just get the rest of the match playing out identically with the rest of the shots repeating.

Here's this guy death-riding us again. Are you sure you're not Fadge?

It doesn't matter if they're the reigning premiers. Why aren't they sitting 7-0 then if that mattered at all?

It does matter.
They have proven players who held up when it mattered most. Even last week against a fairly underrated side in Essendon, gave them a 4 goal head start and still reeled them in.
If Collingwood start the game much better, Carlton will find it difficult.

Carlton have beaten GWS and all the other games have been fairly scrappy affairs.

How does a side not known for its skill,
Hehe.
failing to execute skills, make the other side lucky?
Relatively easy kicks in front of goal?

Players missing shots they would normally make?

Sometimes you have to recognise luck.

Every event changes after a shot is a goal rather than a point, by the way. You do not just get the rest of the match playing out identically with the rest of the shots repeating.
No that's true. But same with Danger's injury. Could have changed things in a different direction that saw us arriving at a higher score.

Who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hehe.

Relatively easy kicks in front of goal?

Players missing shots they would normally make?

Sometimes you have to recognise luck.

No that's true. But same with Danger's injury. Could have changed things in a different direction that saw us arriving at a higher score.

Who knows?
Sometimes you have to accept you were not unlucky, you were not good enough. Failing to execute basic skills absolutely falls under that category. Conversely, Geelong were not "lucky" for executing more precise field kicks and nailing shots at goal.

I support Liverpool and they have not been unlucky lately; they have failed to execute taking chances. It is entirely on them and that is no different whether it is contained to one game or a whole season.

If any one of those shots was nailed the rest of the game's events are different. I'm not pretending to have certainty in how an entire game of football would have changed if any of the shots in question was missed. It is a pointless exercise.

It does matter.
They have proven players who held up when it mattered most. Even last week against a fairly underrated side in Essendon, gave them a 4 goal head start and still reeled them in.
If Collingwood start the game much better, Carlton will find it difficult.

Carlton have beaten GWS and all the other games have been fairly scrappy affairs.
If it did matter they'd have won all their games.

They're clearly not as good as they were last year, and Carlton have improved from their start last year.

If Dangerfield didn't go down midway, we may have won by more than 2 goals.

Anyone can play that game ;)
Why are you trolling a thread that has zero to do with you?

You call Carlton supporters “cocky, arrogant flogs” on the Collingwood game thread.

Why don’t you have the balls to say it here big man?

Carlton clearly in your head :)

Love it!

Like last week with Geelong/Carlton, both the BigFooty tipsters and the thread poll have a much higher proportion of people going with the Blues. But this time, the bookies also agree and have set Carlton as very marginal favourites. Which I think sounds about right (it was the same for the Carlton/GWS game).

I think the Blues will bounce back as they did after the Crows loss and get up in a close one. Collingwood don't have as many weapons up forward as Geelong, so will need all of their midfielders to match the Blues - a tough ask.
Hoyne on SEN last night said Geel are ranked 1 in scoring from turnover which is why they beat Carl.
On the same metric Coll is ranked 3.
Also said Coll ranks 6 for defending Turnovers while Carl is ranked 13.

Coll has the game style to expose Carlton.

Back