Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Cerra, Cuningham and Fantasia return, you're only missing McGovern, Motlop, Martin, Fogarty and Saad from your best possible team in 2024, it's really not that crippling especially when you've got 2 Coleman medallists, a Brownlow medallist, Ayres medallist and AA squad full back ALL in career-best form

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldn't even put Martin in the conversation. He is not in Carltons best 22 . Can collingwood please take him off our books ?

Well kinda, yeah.

When we have a full list to choose from or close to it I'd back us to be competitive with anyone, but I think the very best teams still bat a fair bit deeper than we do and have better capacity to cover injuries. Case in point with our issues in defence at the moment - Saad, McGovern and Doc out, thats half our absolute walk-up start backline and we just aren't good/deep enough to cover that yet.
you had a full list against Coll in RD 10 last year and lost.

Carlton based on form should win this by about 2-3 goals. Collingwood's midfield is their weak point and that's Carlton's strength. Unlike Geelong, Collingwood have been quite average defensively this year. Since Carlton are one of the best front half teams this year, it should result in Carlton dominating territory and ultimately winning the game.

Although Collingwood punish turnovers quite heavily so Carlton better limit them if they want the 4 points.
I suggest you listen to a podcast of Hoyne on SEN last night.
He said Geel are ranked 1 on Champion Data for scoring from turnover which was the reason they beat Carl - on the same stat Coll is ranked 3.
Coll is ranked 6 for defending turnover Carl ranked 13.
Geel lost clearances but stopped Carl from getting pure clearances, on most occasion thereby nullifying the advantage.

you had a full list against Coll in RD 10 last year and lost.
No Martin and no Fogarty from memory, and lost Weitering early in the game.

Not that I'd be of the same opinion that I am now even if we had 0 injuries for that game, we weren't exactly traveling that well in round 10 last year to put it mildly. Almost a full season of exposed form later I think things are a little different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Martin and no Fogarty from memory, and lost Weitering early in the game.

Not that I'd be of the same opinion that I am now even if we had 0 injuries for that game, we weren't exactly traveling that well in round 10 last year to put it mildly. Almost a full season of exposed form later I think things are a little different.
So now you’re putting a disclaimer on your earlier comment- all good.

Hoyne on SEN last night said Geel are ranked 1 in scoring from turnover which is why they beat Carl.
On the same metric Coll is ranked 3.
Also said Coll ranks 6 for defending Turnovers while Carl is ranked 13.

Coll has the game style to expose Carlton.
Like you did last year?

Back