Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our back-line is a little better to be honest and that's saying something given you have Lever and May down there.
Melbourne will need to score 90 points to win this. Can't see either side conceding that amount so it probably comes down to the midfield duel. Gawn v Stanley/Conway and then Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Langdon which is as strong as it gets.
We have only conceded 90 points 11 times since 2021. We rarely NEED to score 90 to win. I think it will be a low scoring game.

I think this presents a tricky match for Geelong.

Even down on form their mids should win their contests especially with the dominant ruck.

Forward they might not have a Curnow or McKay but they also aren't as predictable and our backline has always struggled with gun medium and smalls so Fritter and Kozy should get a look.

Backline I would expect them not to press up as much and leave some numbers back. They're much better drilled in the back 6 than the Blues.

Gee 1.80 to Mel 2.0 seems about right given form but Melbourne have plenty of opportunities to make it work

I'm more confident the Suns game will be a loss. Demon's forward line and way they move the ball shout suit us to a t.
Melbournes forward Line really hasnt been out problem this year despite what the nuffies in the media say.

We rank 13th in inside 50s which is a massive change from the last three years where we constantly first in that stat.
Our efficiency inside 50 has gone from 17th in the comp last year to 8th this year.
We are changing how we play (like Geelong in 2022 and it took you lot 10 weeks to understand the new gameplan).
Our midfield is a problem but we are coming up against a midfield that got absolutely thumped by Carlton and without danger who was exceptional before he got hurt last week.

Melbournes forward Line really hasnt been out problem this year despite what the nuffies in the media say.

We rank 13th in inside 50s which is a massive change from the last three years where we constantly first in that stat.
Our efficiency inside 50 has gone from 17th in the comp last year to 8th this year.
We are changing how we play (like Geelong in 2022 and it took you lot 10 weeks to understand the new gameplan).
Our midfield is a problem but we are coming up against a midfield that got absolutely thumped by Carlton and without danger who was exceptional before he got hurt last week.
Has Line kicked many goals though? Has to be one of the most overrated forwards in the comp.

Has Line kicked many goals though? Has to be one of the most overrated forwards in the comp.
God you’re funny, must have had a good chuckle with your mates in the Geelong Arcare facility.

Last edited:
God your funny, must have had a good chuckle with your mates in the Geelong Arcare facility.
-Not religious
-What happened to my funny?
-I'm a good few years and a million miles distanced from such a brilliant facility, sadly
-How many goals will Melbourne's forward Line kick this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Stewart was a guarantee to return. Who will he go to? Fritsch?

Dees are definitely a chance but Brisbane embarrassed us on the mcg so im not hopeful.

We're just not playing well. We chose not to target a key forward in the off-season and now we're paying for it.
Stewart doesn't go to a forward. A forward goes to Stewart.
Playing the top team but we have far too many players out of form at the moment (Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Petty, Van Rooyen) to name a few. May and Lever will clamp Cameron and Hawkins but it'll be guys like Gryan Miers or Henry that combine for 6 goals. I predict a loss but I have no fear factor playing Geelong. I think our mids smack theirs when we're even playing average footy. But we're playing poor footy at the moment.
Not sure if you been playing attention but Geelong doesn't have a midfield. Everybody beats us in the centre and loses. Game is won and lost at the pointy ends. You can win the clearances and the inside 50s like all the other teams we have played and beaten. Geelong is like 12 th in kicks and handballs this year.

Cats also have the get the feet frees for in the competition. Once our luck with the umpires turns around then we will see even more dominance.

Last edited:
This is going to be a close one.

What Geelong lacks in the midfield, they more than make up with efficiency & a solid back 6 - especially if Stewart is back.

Melbourne should dominate in the middle, but if they’re kicking for goal is anything like Carlton’s last week - watch the ball come flying out.

Where Carlton’s defence is somewhat undermanned at present, the Dees is a very solid unit unlikely to let as many through.

May will zero out Hawkins - Lever to the roaming Cameron? Or do they let Cameron loose outside F50 and keep Lever back to intercept?

This should be a ripping game.

We'd rather have Dangerfield, as he's been in brilliant form when he's been fit, but it does present an interesting query as to who we replace him with. There's always the potential for resting a vet or two but no really obvious outs.

I'd say the clear candidates to come in for Dangerfield from the VFL are Mitch Hardie (mature age mid-season selection, strong run of form - leading VFL coaches votes - that warrants an AFL debut at some stage), Jhye Clark (good with more gametime in the VFL, bolsters our contested work, which is where Melbourne can get an advantage), Mitch Knevitt (different sort of mid who could create an issue for Melbourne), Gary Rohan (explosiveness could be very handy, maybe a savvy sub option as he could fill a few roles and gives us another look in the forward line if May is on top of Hawkins) and Shaun Mannagh (looks like another good sub option, can make an impact in the middle or forward).

Toby Conway (for Stanley) and Shannon Neale (for Hawkins) would be other candidates for discussion, given the incumbents' indifferent form last week, but it's a 'no' from me with either of those changes (unless enforced) to come in against Gawn and May.

Last edited:
Back