Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the upside is that we had awful games from some of our key players and didn't lose by much. But Melbourne didn't allow us to move the ball as easily as Carlton did.
I think the main takeaway for me is that we got very little if anything from our over 30s and still nearly won.

The rebuild is tracking ok but not perfect

I guess the upside is that we had awful games from some of our key players and didn't lose by much. But Melbourne didn't allow us to move the ball as easily as Carlton did.
Cameron was noticeably uncharacteristic in front of goal and it really hurt in a close game.

Nevertheless Geelong are a force and even when fighting from behind all night they are never out of it and will roll over teams that don't get the job done.

First half was dogshit but the second half more than lived up to expectation. Brilliant game, both teams are going to be around the mark you'd think. If Cameron hadn't forgotten how to quick, it was set up for a hell of a finish
The whole game was cracking.
The trench warfare periods can be great to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tells you how good Geelong are when their two big forwards don’t score and they still barely lose. Well done dees.
Honestly dont take too much negative from this.

Alot of good signs for geelong out of that loss given the way the game was played and we still had the opportunity to win it with 5 minutes left.

Credit to Goodwin and the dees, they knew how to take our game away and did it. I just feel sorry for the neutrals having to watch that on free to air.
Don't feel sorry for me. I am used to low scoring games. I have been drugged up with Ross Lyon footy for over a decade lol

Jezza had a absolute mare very rare.

Yep very quiet and when he had a chance to influence the game he was well off.

Not all bad signs we still had a number of guys play pretty well, just a case of Melbourne getting us into their game and they did it very well and we didn’t really manage to string together enough passages on end to break free of it.

It is a problem for Geelong as in 2022 Hawkins was a force of nature. He is no longer that player so it is a bit of a handicap in terms of possibly winning the flag.

I don't think we need him to be, with O.Henry and Miers in particular, generating enough to at least break even from our 2022 production, even allowing for Hawkins' diminished returns. We just need Hawkins to pull a game like the one he had against Adelaide every now and then to keep the defences honest and allow Cameron to get on his bike up the ground. Otherwise, it might be time to look to the future with an extended run for Shannon Neale.

The better team won. I thought that while Stanley battled gamely for most of the evening, Gawn really helped pull them over the line in the last quarter. I thought Lever was immense. Dees controlled the air, usually a strength of ours. And yet it was right there for the taking. Just need to get back to winning form next week now, another challenging few weeks ahead.

Back