Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
There is supposed to be a review of the alignments at the end of this season by the WAFL. What do you reckon they will find? What should they find?

I'm guessing they'll say, see, Peel and East Perth didn't both finish in the finals so it's not producing the powerful teams you were fearful of. Let's go with it again next season.

Is it too early to tell and make findings?

The SA model could be looked at, because that is more relevant to the WAFL comp than the VFL.

I don't envisage this changing much over the five year period unless the unaligned clubs kick up a major fuss over it. With Peel still a basketcase, it'll be all the ammunition the AFL clubs and other supporters of this concept will need in order for the alignment to remain the way it is. Given the WAFL and the WAFC are reliant on the money that the AFL clubs put into the competition I don't think the unaligned seven are in a position to entertain any sort of serious action.

Unfortunately I don't see this situation resolving itself until either the AFL creates an AFL Reserves competition when the game has enough money in it to do so or if the WAFL goes back to how players were distributed before where homegrown players play at their original club and interstate recruits are allocated to a club through the mini-draft process that they had. The second option I suggested though has virtually no chance of happening so this will be an issue that will remain until the Reserves competition occurs.

The only option the clubs have it to move away from the alignment model and incorporate West Coast and Fremantle reserves sides into the WAFL. That would require changes to the fixturing along with both clubs having an adequate amount of top up players to fill the remaining spots and also injuries. That still sees the WAFL moving away from a nine team structure which is something the clubs seems to be against at the moment.

I don't envisage this changing much over the five year period unless the unaligned clubs kick up a major fuss over it. With Peel still a basketcase, it'll be all the ammunition the AFL clubs and other supporters of this concept will need in order for the alignment to remain the way it is. Given the WAFL and the WAFC are reliant on the money that the AFL clubs put into the competition I don't think the unaligned seven are in a position to entertain any sort of serious action.

Unfortunately I don't see this situation resolving itself until either the AFL creates an AFL Reserves competition when the game has enough money in it to do so or if the WAFL goes back to how players were distributed before where homegrown players play at their original club and interstate recruits are allocated to a club through the mini-draft process that they had. The second option I suggested though has virtually no chance of happening so this will be an issue that will remain until the Reserves competition occurs.

The only option the clubs have it to move away from the alignment model and incorporate West Coast and Fremantle reserves sides into the WAFL. That would require changes to the fixturing along with both clubs having an adequate amount of top up players to fill the remaining spots and also injuries. That still sees the WAFL moving away from a nine team structure which is something the clubs seems to be against at the moment.

You wont want the SANFL model, there is more unrest over here than ever. Port are in the GF this week and will probably play 19 AFL listed players against an SANFL team. The other three players are Slattery and Krakour a couple of EX AFL players and Steve Summerton an Sanfl player who almost won the magery this year.

As for $$$ to run a AFL reserves why isnt the possible? The AFL fund the NEAFL with teams from QLD , NSW, ACT and NT all playing each. This must cost as much as running an AFL reserves comp with the travel factor.

As an act of goodwill and financial support from the AFL the NAB cup games this year should only be played at WAFL Suburban grounds to inject some much needed funds into the system the games could be rotated around the grounds over a few years could this realistically happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back